Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tarpaulin cover for South Stand!

Nov 3, 2003
the excuse from silent that we arent gonna be at Withdean for long dont wash anymore, so either Silent wants to sit for a game in the pooring rain, windy weather OR he wants to get a tarpaulin cover put up for the South Stand as its the least he can for his fans. Its obvious the weather (as well as the lack of any decent atmosphere and football) that once again is keeping the official attendance down low.

FG aka Football Genius. said:
the excuse from silent that we arent gonna be at Withdean for long dont wash anymore, so either Silent wants to sit for a game in the pooring rain, windy weather OR he wants to get a tarpaulin cover put up for the South Stand as its the least he can for his fans. Its obvious the weather (as well as the lack of any decent atmosphere and football) that once again is keeping the official attendance down low.

Yes yes! This is an excellent point fg. Another great reason why we need Falmer !

Sometimes, you really are a genius

:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tarpaulin cover? Great; so how do I see through that then?

Btw, Fg have you been having spelling lessons?

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
sounds like a right winner that idea,surely no problem with planning permission and the hse.
and if its windy the whole south stand will take off and just to be on the safe side lets make it no smoking

fg you really are a :dunce:

We've had appeal funds for just about every other cause Albion related, so why not a roof appeal? Before anyone says "can't be done, temporary structure etc" what about the stand behind the goal at Bristol rovers? I believe one of the reasons for the drop off in attendances this year is "Withdean fatigue". Many people have had a gutful of the place and arent prepared to pay top price for the privilege of getting soaked. Maybe it's late in the day what with Falmer hopefully around the corner, but rather than stick in 2000 seats which based on current attendances will be empty every week, why not check out the feasibility of putting some kind of roof over the south stand? Apart from the obvious benefits, the so called lack of atmosphere problem could be solved.

Storer68 said:
tHER IS NO FECKIN ROOM .

:rolleyes: :yawn:

If you say so? I'm no builder or architect, but with a bit of imagination, I should think it would be physically possible? Still, it aint gonna happen, so we'll just have to carry on getting wet and lump it for a few more years I guess?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great idea. call it the Mary Poppins Stand, Health and Safety may have something to say as it takes of in the first gale force wind. :clap: :clap:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought we weren't allowed a roof on that side because of the nature reserve behind (though quite why that makes a difference I can't fathom, so I probably misunderstood a point someone else made once - as usual).

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
From what I gather the South Stand is considered a tenporary structure under the planning conditions.

If a roof were to be constructed it would then be classed as a permanent structure.

What a tarpaulin cover would be classed as... who knows !!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ManxSeagull said:
From what I gather the South Stand is considered a tenporary structure under the planning conditions.

If a roof were to be constructed it would then be classed as a permanent structure.

That's why I made a feeble joke about not being able to see through a tarpaulin cover. Basically all that would do is cover the seats - it's not the material for a roof.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
ManxSeagull said:

Putting any sort of cover / roof on it makes it into a permanent stand. I remember this being brought up with Nick Rowe at a SOL meeting many moons ago. The minute the stand become permanent, we need new planning permission and different criteria for the safety license, probably make it non smoking as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I have a gazebo in my shed. I don't mind bringing that along if the people who would benefit from its shelter help to put it up and take it back down again before and after each match.
I could bring it if its raining, or a bit cloudy, just in case. It would probably cover approx 20 people I should think.

It happens to be blue and white as well. I insisted on the colour scheme when we bought it in Homebase, even though the missus wanted the green one which would admittedly have gone better with our patio set. I was having none of it though.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Uncle Buck said:
Putting any sort of cover / roof on it makes it into a permanent stand. I remember this being brought up with Nick Rowe at a SOL meeting many moons ago. The minute the stand become permanent, we need new planning permission and different criteria for the safety license, probably make it non smoking as well.

I seem to vaguely remember hearing the same thing at another supporters meeting again, when Mr Rowe was at the club. I thought this was common knowledge.

I am guessing that this little bit of info must have slipped FG's mind as I would not for one minute think that he was attempting a wind-up!!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Easy 10 said:
Well I have a gazebo in my shed. I don't mind bringing that along if the people who would benefit from its shelter help to put it up and take it back down again before and after each match.
I could bring it if its raining, or a bit cloudy, just in case. It would probably cover approx 20 people I should think.

It happens to be blue and white as well. I insisted on the colour scheme when we bought it in Homebase, even though the missus wanted the green one which would admittedly have gone better with our patio set. I was having none of it though.

why isnt a gazebo classed as a permant structure that needs planning permission for, in ya garden?
the material is very simillar to tarpaulin. if this is because you can dissemble a gazebo then surely you can dissemble a tarpaulin cover even when it gets windy or when nobody is using it.
just because it is a 'temporary' permanent home, does not mean we need a 'permanant' temporary cover on it.
sorry if im just talking bollox.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I've never written to anyone to ask permission for erecting my gazebo. Many summer barbecues have been saved from the elements thanks to my trusty giant tent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Well, I've never written to anyone to ask permission for erecting my gazebo. Many summer barbecues have been saved from the elements thanks to my trusty giant tent.

Well you could hardly write off to anybody asking for permission to erect your giant tent-pole now, could ya! :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tom Hark said:
Well you could hardly write off to anybody asking for permission to erect your giant tent-pole now, could ya! :lolol:
Well, I've certainly not had any complaints, nyaa haa haaar :lolol:
Hey, is this morphing into the "Carry On" thread ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here