Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Any Tory Party members on this board who will admit to voting for Boris?

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Hi Jackal, all that is ancient history and hardly relevant to the views held today.
A bit of an aside and a little bit off track, but my late father was a GP who set up practice in 1947, the year before the NHS was formed and he recalled that there was huge suspicion and wariness amongst established medics at the time as to how the NHS would affect their earnings. As a young doctor with no assets,he wasn't so concerned and set up a very successful practice, fully embracing the 'new system'. After negotiations took place between the Government and the doctors (led by a Dr.Cameron!) , peace broke out and the NHS went from strength to strength.
You mention aspiration a couple of times and I think that is very important. There will always be those who would never vote Tory or would never vote Labour, but I think that the Tories tapped into a feeling of 'I can do this' attitude amongst, perhaps, some of the younger working class, who were less 'dyed in the wool' Labour voters and who didn't necessarily think in the same way that their parents and grandparents had. They were less accepting of the way things had always been and more inclined to want more , such as owning their own house. Call this aspiration, if you like and it is no bad thing. Of course, they were living in less harsh times than their forbears were and the Labour Party had fought well and hard to raise the standard of living for the working class for a long time.
I don't go along with the jingoism and desperate hope thing ,at all.
What I do think, is that plenty of working class voters feel that the present Labour Party no longer represents them, and as a journalist put it recently, is no longer the party of the working class , but is the party of the 'smirking class'; those members of the so called metropolitan elite, who believe they know best and whilst lecturing everybody else about equality etc. carry on regardless living their comfortable hypocritical lives, well insulated from the riff-raff of the working classes, they pretend they have so much in common with.

Hello Mr. F.

You make some good points.

History, yes, but history is always relevant, imo. If we paid more attention to history then we probably wouldn't be in the mess we're in now, e.g. in regard to the rise of the far right or invading Iraq again (did you know that we built the barracks in Basra a hundred years ago? We'll never learn.)

I am painfully aware of the BMA's opposition to the NHS. They thought it would devalue a doctor's position in society. Fair play to them for coming on board in the end.

I accept that aspiration is a good thing, but to aspire to be better at the expense of everyone else? That's the very essence of Conservatism.

I would love for everyone to be able to own their own home, I only own part of mine. But the Tories sold off the council houses for jack sh*t and didn't build any more. Not particularly helpful for future generations of poor people.

I definitely agree with your point about the 'smirking class', although I would counter that it applies much more to 'New Labour', Bliar and Brown than to the lefties who inhabit the party now.

I genuinely think the latest Labour lot aren't in it for themselves, whereas the likes of Johnson and Berk (the richest member of the cabinet) are so obviously on the take, it's comical.

Have a look at Corbyn's expenses claims, consistently the lowest in parliament. Compare that to Johnson claiming £16.50 for a remembrance day wreath. That is not the example to set, whoever you are.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Does anyone ever think, what exactly is going on?

Boris Johnson in No 10
Trump in the White House
Extreme right doing well electorally wherever you look
Leaving the European union!

Five years ago, Obama in the White House, Cameron was PM (and OK, his reputation is blown since the disastrous events of 2016, but apart from that he was just a competent, if typically, heartless Tory with his worst impulses checked by his coalition partners). The idea of actually going through with leaving the EU would have been laughable. The leader of the oppositions “unelectability” was caused by bacon sandwiches rather than allegations of his parties antisemitism. Again, 5 years ago, even if you didn’t support the political figure, they were at least sensible, serious people who would be held to the words that they say

Five years ago, the biggest news was the odd flood or earthquake somewhere.

How have we got here? Why has the world veered so dramatically in such a short space of time?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Boris Johnson in No 10
Trump in the White House

Five years ago, Obama in the White House, Cameron was PM (and OK, his reputation is blown since the disastrous events of 2016, but apart from that he was just a competent, if typically, heartless Tory with his worst impulses checked by his coalition partners). The idea of actually going through with leaving the EU would have been laughable. The leader of the oppositions “unelectability” was caused by bacon sandwiches rather than allegations of his parties antisemitism. Again, 5 years ago, even if you didn’t support the political figure, they were at least sensible, serious people who would be held to the words that they say

How have we got here? Why has the world veered so dramatically in such a short space of time?

The idiots got in.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Boris Johnson in No 10
Trump in the White House

New world order! :D

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like him, mainly because he’s got so many Labour supporters so hot under the collar and spitting venom ! It’s absolutely hilarious some of the bile post on social media today !
I'm more Tory than Labour, but I'm equally displeased he's got the job. People who care about this country are worried about what he'll do with it, so of course some of them are angry. How that's a reason to like him is beyond me.

My opinion is he’ll do a better job than May or Corbyn
Well May didn't really do anything in the end.

For me, Boris vs Corbyn is the ultimate titanic battle of who could **** it up the most.

Perhaps the one saving grace we have at the moment is the Boris doesn't have a majority, which should limit the damage he does.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
don't trust any of them--------------- corbins a liar, and Tories take care of their own what choice is there ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did it cross anyone’s mind that the police were getting really jumpy and all it needed for one of the “ protesters” to get violent and they would shoot them. The PM has close protection officers and I bet they were panicking!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Mark my words, a few years from now, Johnson will be the most popular Prime Minister in living memory, having sorted Brexit and well on his way to making this little island great again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes I am. Yes I did.

Today will be the greatest day in our country since May 1979.

It was great for me - I passed my finals. Why was it great for you, Timmy? Anyway, haven't you had enough fun posting bollocks on NSC? Foggy in BN3 is it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mark my words, a few years from now, Johnson will be the most popular Prime Minister in living memory, having sorted Brexit and well on his way to making this little island great again.

Your words have been marked.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm more Tory than Labour, but I'm equally displeased he's got the job. People who care about this country are worried about what he'll do with it, so of course some of them are angry. How that's a reason to like him is beyond me.

Well May didn't really do anything in the end.

For me, Boris vs Corbyn is the ultimate titanic battle of who could **** it up the most.

Perhaps the one saving grace we have at the moment is the Boris doesn't have a majority, which should limit the damage he does.

I'm more labour than tory (well, much more) but I agree with you.

Politics is normally the art of the possible, especially for labour in the past (with the beady eye of the Sun, Times, Mail and Express on their every move). My feeling is that Corbyn would fail to get anything much done because some of what he plans (compulsory nationalisations) would be illegal (The UK isn't and never will be China) plus he won't have enough support from his own MPs, not all of whom will be frothy momentalists, even after the local parties have done all the purging they can. His government would be slow moving, dithery and mired in procrastination.

Not sure what Boris will be like. Will he attempt the impossible and fail or will he compromise and anger the swivel-eyed hard right element of his support? I simply don't know, and I don't get the impression ke knows either. I have more idea of what Potter's Brighton will be like than I have about Boris the liar's Britain.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Anything Momentum can do other parties will do, what comes around goes around...

I joined a year ago to ensure the Tories had a Brexiteer leader as I'm sure many others did.

The UK will now leave the EU in 99 days time, maybe in 99 years time the Remoaners might finally accept it. Boris has stuck his neck on the line but he's a lot cleverer than people give him credit for, his masterstroke is getting Cummings on board. 3 years too late but finally we are leaving...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Anything Momentum can do other parties will do, what comes around goes around...

I joined a year ago to ensure the Tories had a Brexiteer leader as I'm sure many others did.

The UK will now leave the EU in 99 days time, maybe in 99 years time the Remoaners might finally accept it. Boris has stuck his neck on the line but he's a lot cleverer than people give him credit for, his masterstroke is getting Cummings on board. 3 years too late but finally we are leaving...

Always good to have someone found in contempt of Parliament on your side :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here