Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rafa gone..

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
he's nowhere near as bad a football chairman as Newcastle fans make out. This whole narrative they've created, where Ashley hasn't "invested" in players and Benitez is working miracles against all odds is manifestly bollocks

So far this summer (yes, I know it's early) they've made a net gain of £30m vs Brighton's £21m net spend
Last season they had a net spend of £10m vs Brighton's £65m
Season before, net spend £20m vs Brighton's Brighton's £60m

So, since being back in the prem, little old Brighton have had a net spend of £146m vs Big Old Newcaslte's £0

Ashley spent money in the Championship (still made a net gain of £40m though) to get his asset back in the prem.

He will ALWAYS spend as little as possible to ensure he keeps his asset in the prem and as marketable as possible.

So, when Newcastle fans are turning up, sitting in that amazing stadium of 50,000....hearing the stories of TV income going up and up and up, it's no wonder they are slightly aggravated

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So far this summer (yes, I know it's early) they've made a net gain of £30m vs Brighton's £21m net spend

So, since being back in the prem, little old Brighton have had a net spend of £146m vs Big Old Newcaslte's £0

Ashley spent money in the Championship (still made a net gain of £40m though) to get his asset back in the prem.

He will ALWAYS spend as little as possible to ensure he keeps his asset in the prem and as marketable as possible.

So, when Newcastle fans are turning up, sitting in that amazing stadium of 50,000....hearing the stories of TV income going up and up and up, it's no wonder they are slightly aggravated
A lot of the difference in the net sales is because they had something saleable and we didn't, they've still spent. Its not just transfer fees to think about. There is no way we could have competed wage wise, for say almiron or rondon. They are in the bracket above us.

Ashley might not be the biggest spending chairman in the Premier league. But he's hardly an asset stripper. That's probably we see persistent whinging, rather than outright rebellion

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A lot of the difference in the net sales is because they had something saleable and we didn't, they've still spent. Its not just transfer fees to think about. There is no way we could have competed wage wise, for say almiron or rondon. They are in the bracket above us.

Ashley might not be the biggest spending chairman in the Premier league. But he's hardly an asset stripper. That's probably we see persistent whinging, rather than outright rebellion

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ok Let's ignore net spend as apparently that doesn't count and look at JUST the perm signings they have made in the prem in the last 3 summers

Muto £5m
Merino £5m?
Fernandez £4m?
Dubravka £3.5m?
Murphy £9m
Lejune £8m
Joselu £5m
Atsu £5m

Can you not see, from the list, why there is frustration?

That's less than the cost of Propper, Jahanbaksh and Locadia.

I never said he was asset stripping. He is protecting the value of his asset for as LITTLE expenditure as possible. Would I also do the same if I didn't care about the club? Yep. Would I also expect to be hated for it? Yep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok Let's ignore net spend as apparently that doesn't count and look at JUST the perm signings they have made in the prem in the last 3 summers

Muto £5m
Merino £5m?
Fernandez £4m?
Dubravka £3.5m?
Murphy £9m
Lejune £8m
Joselu £5m
Atsu £5m

Can you not see, from the list, why there is frustration?

That's less than the cost of Propper, Jahanbaksh and Locadia.

I never said he was asset stripping. He is protecting the value of his asset for as LITTLE expenditure as possible. Would I also do the same if I didn't care about the club? Yep. Would I also expect to be hated for it? Yep.

That is all rather hollow when the team finished however many points and places above us and the now relegated Huddersfield.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That is all rather hollow when the team finished however many points and places above us and the now relegated Huddersfield.
Hence the acknowledgment of how well their FORMER manager had done.

He's gone now.
Their two top scorers are gone now
They don't spend the money they recoup.

I understand why they are VERY worried.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He's gone now.

Ashley has gone over and above to protect his investment and the investment the fans have lined his pockets with. :lol:

I'd love for him to sell up just so the Geordies can get up close and personal with a proper shitehouse asset stripping owner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He's gone now.

[tweet]1147147896833355776[/tweet]

So starved of Albion gossip I even checked this fella out:-

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

And despite us spending more than them, when was the last time we finished higher than them in the league. Indeed, when was the last time we finished as high as either of their last two finishes, or won the championship? Seems to me that Ashley has done a remarkably good job, measured against everything but the toon fans belief they should be top 6.

Which of course they could be of they were taken over by some gazillionaire middle eastern emirate

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In that there's a 12 point manifesto. (which I seem unable to move too here)

I can only find the 10-point one here:

[tweet]1146475640021032960[/tweet]

Isn't that an unfair comparison? Whether talking net spend or gross. I mean, the years prior to us both getting promoted we had never been in the premier league, and hadn't been in the top division for over 30 years. Whereas Newcastle had only spent the previous year out of the premier league (in recent terms), so were essentially largely a premier league squad playing in the championship. Their need to spend when they got back up was much much lesser than ours. We were a championship side needing to cast off championship players and bring in premier league players, they were a premier league side casting off premier league players to buy premier league players.

So? That is a reflection of the entitlement of the fans (and some football fans in general, not just Newcastle). He is doing what he needs to to keep them in the prem. You agree with that. So why is he presented as the devil, when the problem is fans expecting an owner to throw money (that won't really be enough, both in real terms of how much is needed, and in emotional terms of fan expectation) at a team to compete with those funded by Russian oligarchs and middle east billionaires who will always spend more?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Steve Bruce now odds on for the Newcastle job.

Being widely reported that Newcastle about to make an approach.

Is that one of the relegation slots sewn up??

Can still get 3/1 on Newcastle being relegated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Once again so so many posters on NSC should hang their heads in shame.

The drivel posted in those 5 (five) days of turmoil waiting for PottyTime was frightening.

TBH it would still look out of place if the club waited 3 weeks only to unveil Steve Freakin Bruce

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bruce. Uninspiring, but he sounds northern and I that seems to be important to them up there. He is organised and wouldn’t be a terrible appointment to steady the ship. I won’t be taking 3/1 on them, they still have some very decent players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here