[Football] Albion's Second Half Of The Season Form

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe. Sanchez being put in goal has certainly helped but he was brought in four games(i think) before the Wolves game. I don't remember there being such a dramatic improvement from his first game.

He was playing in the game against Wolves where all of our failings were evident. There was such a dramatic difference between the first half and second half and performances in general thereafter that I can't put it down to the fact that Sanchez was in goal. I think he has done really well and has given us a solid platform to build on but I think our upturn is based on more than that.
You don't think it's reasonable for a team to take 3 or 4 games to settle in with a change of goalkeeper from one they've had almost continuously for three and a half years? I'm not sure Dunk would have chested the ball back to Sanchez back in December, for instance.
Relevant question might be, how many of our clean sheets have occurred in the second half of the season compared to the first?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Moaning minnies? Are you 8 years old and still reading the Beano?

Why do so many Brighton supporters feel the need to set up every discussion about Albion performance into a supporter v supporter argument?

Our performance the second half of the season has been decent. In that half there has also been some dog rough output on the odd occasion. Who’d have thought that on a Brighton CHAT forum these dog performances are criticised.

a lot of the negative nellies don't appear to know much about football and just whine about nothing, like spoilt brats. all teams lose, coping with it in a mature way is all part of growing up. crying for multi millions to be thrown at an issue may not solve the problem and has the potetial to be catastrophic. so the negativity can be quite galling, some posters won't log on for a day or two after a defeat to a team certain supporters expect to beat

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To have a plus 3 goal difference over this period of time is a stunning achievement

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You don't think it's reasonable for a team to take 3 or 4 games to settle in with a change of goalkeeper from one they've had almost continuously for three and a half years? I'm not sure Dunk would have chested the ball back to Sanchez back in December, for instance.
Relevant question might be, how many of our clean sheets have occurred in the second half of the season compared to the first?

No, I'm sure it would take time to get used to a new goalkeeper.

What I'm saying is that it is more than just the change of keeper. It's not the keeper that has stopped us making blind passes across the face of goal as we were doing last season and the beginning of this. It's not the keeper that has stopped us being wide open positionally against counter attacks, it's not the keeper that has made the outfield players cut out the vast majority of individual mistakes. That's down to tactical and positional tweaks and player focus and decision making. And for me, the marked improvement in all those things happened after half times against Wolves.

Sanchez has played really well and has had a very positive impact. There's no doubt about that but he's not the sole reason for our improvement. Something happened at half time to really focus the players and it wasn't as simple as saying 'come on guys we've got Sanchez in goal now, lets stop making blind passes, individual errors and being structurally vulnerable...'

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Moaning minnies? Are you 8 years old and still reading the Beano?

Why do so many Brighton supporters feel the need to set up every discussion about Albion performance into a supporter v supporter argument?

Our performance the second half of the season has been decent. In that half there has also been some dog rough output on the odd occasion. Who’d have thought that on a Brighton CHAT forum these dog performances are criticised.

Roy of the Rovers

I still have about 50 from the time in the downstairs locker. The Beano was crap.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk has looked his brilliant self in the 2nd half of the season with the exception of the Wolves game where he criminally let the ball be crossed for Wolves’ 1st goal and then their potential winner, luckily for him, Burn did enough horrific crimes to totally mask those two awful bits of play for most people.

Dunk is the reason we are top seven.

His play in the 1st half of the season was just not quite up to his astonishing standards. The majority of the goals conceded against West Ham, Sheff Utd and Southampton have Dunk’s sloppy defending at their root. His worst 5 months in the Premier League in my opinion (followed by some of his best form ever) and largely ignored by most of our fans because he is one of our own.

I think most Brighton fans are aware of his drop in form but that generally took him down to the average level , certainly not poor. He does makes mistakes but one think you can be sure of is that he ups his game to atone. So I don't think it's just a case of 'he's one of our own' more the fact that he has been magnificent for Brighton over the last 7 years rarely out of being in the top 3 players season on season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think most Brighton fans are aware of his drop in form but that generally took him down to the average level , certainly not poor. He does makes mistakes but one think you can be sure of is that he ups his game to atone. So I don't think it's just a case of 'he's one of our own' more the fact that he has been magnificent for Brighton over the last 7 years rarely out of being in the top 3 players season on season.

I was just surprised that people (a minority) are putting him forward for POTS over Bissouma or Veltman; that’s at the root of my ‘one of our own’ comment as I recall the ducked header against West Ham or the acres given to Vestergaard.

You are right though, we are generally used to Dunk being the best player or one of the best players on the pitch in each game and whilst it’s been like that for most of this year, he wasn’t really shining until he’d established a relationship with Sanchez looking at the overall season.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not too shabby since the turn of the year.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 210009.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ten points off relegation in the second half of the season means we actually lost ground to the bottom three seeing as we're 13 points from relegation in total.

I think it's more a reflection of their improved form. Blades being the prime example. Albion still performed better.

The noticeable thing is we climb to 10th when the table is reformed from new year.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ten points off relegation in the second half of the season means we actually lost ground to the bottom three seeing as we're 13 points from relegation in total.

Your maths is wrong.

Those tables go by dates they don’t show the true picture of first half vs second half of the season as teams have played different number of games.

These show the first 19 games vs the games played in the second half of the season so far. We were just 4 pts above Fulham at the half way point. We’ve widened that gap massively in the second half of the season.

4E4B8A72-71B7-49B8-88AD-EE20E223D497.jpeg

DA06B8DD-E0C7-4794-877B-290A333876A7.jpeg

well thats wrong completely - 10 points difference from 20 games whereas the current 13 point difference is from 37 games so we are way ahead on all fronts compared to the full season

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Next year is another season another scenario but this is without doubt encouraging. How well we come out of the transfer window and pre season will matter but next year could be brilliant. Alternatively, we could be relegated by Christmas and that's why its the greatest game in the world...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Er - that will be three points above them from the first half, and ten points above them from the second half = 13 points.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

What? 13-10 = 3 gained in first half of season so we are SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Edit : Oh haha I seen others also quoted the same as they read down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports