[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VAR

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
l give up on my theory as it is a hypothetical situation that is unlikely to ever happen as the players all stand in line on the edge of the box.

It’s unlikely because it can’t happen due to the laws of the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
l give up on my theory as it is a hypothetical situation that is unlikely to ever happen as the players all stand in line on the edge of the box.

But even if it did happen, they would not be offside. I suspect you are the only person on NSC that has that view of the offside rule!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maddison encroached too and scored. He was first to the ball and first to effect the game. It should depend on which team gains an advantage from the encroachment. In this case it was Leicester. We should have had a freekick and the pen should not be retaken.

That accords with my understanding as well.

I'm amazed how accepted this decision seems to have been.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
See earlier post. VAR only intervenes if there is a 'direct impact' because of the encroachment. In this case there was, as Maddison had encroached and scored. VAR therefore intervened and said 'Maddison encroached and had a direct impact [scored] - so should normally be a free-kick to Brighton. However, because at the same time an Albion player encroached - therefore law says penalty must be retaken'. (that is, if we hadn't encroached as well, we would have had a free kick).

If Maddison had missed his header, VAR would have not intervened - even though players encroached. It's up to the onfield refs to spot encroachment.

If keeper moves - again, it's for the onfield refs, VAR won't intervene.

Hello mate.

Are you reading this rule from somewhere? I'm guessing it has to be the case as the VAR refs gave it, it's just that in all the thousands and thousands of games i've watched i've never seen this outcome be applied, and i'm intrigued to see it in black and white. Thanks

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Hello mate.

Are you reading this rule from somewhere? I'm guessing it has to be the case as the VAR refs gave it, it's just that in all the thousands and thousands of games i've watched i've never seen this outcome be applied, and i'm intrigued to see it in black and white. Thanks

This is the rule on the VAR review

‘offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper’

Then once reviewed the following applies

26d0421d08de9c6f3c8e56c8b02f7d05.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is the rule on the VAR review

‘offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper’

Then once reviewed the following applies

26d0421d08de9c6f3c8e56c8b02f7d05.jpg

OK, i'm guessing that only came in this season, due to VAR

I'll be interested to see how many penalties where there isn't any encroachment

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm going to be big enough to admit that on this occasion VAR and Mike Dean got it right ....

However, this doesn't detract from the clear facts that Dean is an utter bell end and VAR is a sport ruining, dog s***, death of joy, spawn of satan

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hello mate.

It's very rare that a penalty gets retaken because of encroachment because over the years the officials have been incapable of spotting it!! However, a good example where it went against us was in 1976 FA Cup 1st round 2nd replay at Stamford Bridge!!!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's very rare that a penalty gets retaken because of encroachment because over the years the officials have been incapable of spotting it!! However, a good example where it went against us was in 1976 FA Cup 1st round 2nd replay at Stamford Bridge!!!

And that may be the last time the law was applied

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
OK, i'm guessing that only came in this season, due to VAR

I think you find those guidelines have been around for a few years, it's just refs have been hopeless at spotting encroachment!!!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That's what I originally thought. However, as someone qualified earlier VAR is only used to look for encroachment when the on field officials have decided that it has directly impacted the outcome of the penalty kick. Ergo encroachment probably happens to certain degrees on every penalty and goes unchecked by VAR. Thereby it could be argued that VAR is being applied inconsistently.

In short for the love of God please dump VAR as soon as possible!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's what I originally thought. However, as someone qualified earlier VAR is only used to look for encroachment when the on field officials have decided that it has directly impacted the outcome of the penalty kick. Ergo encroachment probably happens to certain degrees on every penalty and goes unchecked by VAR. Thereby it could be argued that VAR is being applied inconsistently.

In short for the love of God please dump VAR as soon as possible!

I think VAR got involved because a goal was scored and they review every goal. I don't think it was anything the on field officials actually called for, it just happens.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think VAR got involved because a goal was scored and they review every goal. I don't think it was anything the on field officials actually called for, it just happens.

If the penalty is scored directly they do not still automatically check it. If that were the case loads of penalties would be retaken as the reality is that subtle encroachments would be missed by the officials but spotted by VAR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the penalty is scored directly they do not still automatically check it. If that were the case loads of penalties would be retaken as the reality is that subtle encroachments would be missed by the officials but spotted by VAR.

That's because VAR does not specifically check for encroachment. It only checked yesterday because someone other than the penalty taker scored.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
After we benefitted against Sheff Utd it's a no, after we benefitted against Spurs it's a no and after we lost out to it today it's still a no. It's ruining the game. Hate it with a passion. Bin it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports