Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It's like Graham Potter football with five added espresso shots!"

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I enjoyed that as much as any game I’ve watched for years. So comfortable quick passing out from the back, forward players finding space and the passes delivered. I wish I knew how to copy that video though as I want to text it to someone.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Under RDZ they were proper goal scoring chances under Potter we created a flurry of half chances and then moaned we needed a £70m striker to finish them.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I enjoyed that as much as any game I’ve watched for years. So comfortable quick passing out from the back, forward players finding space and the passes delivered. I wish I knew how to copy that video though as I want to text it to someone.

Try copying this link into your text and it'll send them the link to the post/video on twitter.

'https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1576244473553715201?s=20&t=Yrjdfw-_eq9NJoaJuGjY6Q'

Just remove the quotes I've put it in ...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If our defence maintain concentration and keep organised to stop the inevitable counter attacks, then we could be onto a real winner with RDZ. Early days but Potter football with some espresso shots thrown in sounds good to me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very early days to even contemplate comments like that. I thought we were too open and exposed a lot of the time yesterday - that’s my worry. Not being negative, just honest. But the fact it was Liverpool and they were chasing a game was largely the reason for that I’m sure. I think I have a preconception of RDZ leaving the defence exposed too - but I am a little worried about it tbh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very early days to even contemplate comments like that. I thought we were too open and exposed a lot of the time yesterday - that’s my worry. Not being negative, just honest. But the fact it was Liverpool and they were chasing a game was largely the reason for that I’m sure. I think I have a preconception of RDZ leaving the defence exposed too - but I am a little worried about it tbh.

Looks like we will concede more but we should also score more. It’s going to be entertaining. I do wonder how we’ll cope with deep lying teams though, it has been our achilles heal for three seasons. Master that and we’ll be flying

You’ll need to get used to being hit on the break though and if of a nervous disposition under Potter with the passing around at the back and Sanchez being too cool, you could end up shitting yourself under De Zerbi :lolol:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
To be honest standing behind that goal I was worried we seemed under strict instructions to always play along the back, which at times put us under a lot of pressure, and led to giving the ball away in very dangerous areas. That's how I remember Potter starting out before adapting to mixing it up a bit to become less predictable which drew better performances.

The problem was when we were really under it, we only seemed to pass the ball sideways across the back and relatively slowly too. The midfield didn't seem to be moving to give a forward option at all. Listening to RDZ interview it sounded like he was acknowledging we need to do quite a lot of work to improve playing that way particularly regard moving the ball at pace. So great if he's acknowledged where it wasn't working. Let's hope he can get it happening or at least accept we sometimes need to go a bit more direct against the best pressing teams.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To be honest standing behind that goal I was worried that we seemed to be under strict instructions to always play along the back which at times put us under a lot of pressure and led to giving the ball away several times in very dangerous areas. That is how I remember Potter starting out before adapting to mixing it up a bit to become less predictable which drew better performances.

Now part of the problem was when we were really under it we only seemed to pass the ball sideways across the back and relatively slowly too. The midfield didn't seem to be moving to give a forward option either. Listening to RDZ interview it sounded like he was acknowledging we need to do quite a lot of work to improve playing that way particularly regard moving the ball at pace. So great if he's acknowledged where it wasn't working. Let's hope he can get it happening or at least accept we sometimes need to go a bit more direct against the best pressing teams.
He’s had all the players together for one day give him a chance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's not get carried away here. Brilliant match, excellent result, super performance - but this was basically a Potter team, playing the Potter way. De Zerbi will have barely had time to say 'hello' to some of them, and in many ways any of us could have probably given similar instructions - "You know who you are, you know how you play, get out there and do what you've been doing!'
Obviously, you can't go on just doing that forever - standing still = going backwards in the PL. RDZ will I'm sure want to put his stamp on things - and his own players. Haven't we already been linked with a player from Shaktar Donetsk? Tweaks will inevitably come, and some changes no doubt - and I hope RDZ gets them right!
But seriously though, anyone who was watching, was that performance really any different from a Potter one?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's not get carried away here. Brilliant match, excellemt result, super performance - but this was basically a Potter team, playing the Potter way. De Zerbi will have barely had time to say 'hello' to some of them, and in many ways any of us could have probably given similar instructions - "You know who you are, you know how you play, get out there and do what you've been doing!'
Obviously, you can't go on just doing that forever - standing still = going backwards in the PL. RDZ will I'm sure want to put his stamp on things - and his own players. Haven't we already been linked with a player from Shaktar Donetsk? Tweaks will inevitably come, and some changes no doubt - and I hope RDZ gets them right!
But seriously though, anyone who was watching, was that performance really any different from a Potter one?

Yes, did you see how many players we had in their box most of the time?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
View from behind the goal… murdered Liverpool for 20 minutes 3 or 4-0 would not have flattered us. Liverpool couldn’t press us but did start to move the ball very quickly and usually long to a still fearsome attacking frontline. Liverpool were good for two thirds of the game and we still out-footballed them. It was a Potter type (and hence De Zerbi) like performance. It was very high octane and the two centre halves did take more chances when in possession centrally. Trossard couldn’t hit a cow’s arse in the warm up while Danny looked super sharp; the opposite was true in finishing terms during the game. Fabulous entertainment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, did you see how many players we had in their box most of the time?

All I've 'seen' was on MOTD (I followed the match on the radio). Yes, we had players in the box - but (again based only on highlights) we seemed to have plenty in the box against Leicester and ManU, for example.
Given that the match was a thriller anyway, was there that much of an obvious and noticeable change?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To be honest standing behind that goal I was worried we seemed under strict instructions to always play along the back, which at times put us under a lot of pressure, and led to giving the ball away in very dangerous areas. That's how I remember Potter starting out before adapting to mixing it up a bit to become less predictable which drew better performances.

The problem was when we were really under it, we only seemed to pass the ball sideways across the back and relatively slowly too. The midfield didn't seem to be moving to give a forward option at all. Listening to RDZ interview it sounded like he was acknowledging we need to do quite a lot of work to improve playing that way particularly regard moving the ball at pace. So great if he's acknowledged where it wasn't working. Let's hope he can get it happening or at least accept we sometimes need to go a bit more direct against the best pressing teams.

Look how good we were at it though. We have much better players than when Potter took over. Sure, it didn’t work every time yesterday but mostly it worked really well and led to us being a goal threat because the midfield did provide outlets and I disagree that we were too slow. Liverpool were on top for a period in the second half and that happened because we played deeper. To play this way you need excellent passers of the ball and we have them. De Zerbi has said we will take risks so to reap the rewards (like yesterday) we have to be prepared for occasional mistakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here