Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2022/2023 Relegation Thread - October's views & votes

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Palace will be in the bottom 3 if Forest win tomorrow if you’re looking for something to watch on a Monday night.

On my relegation table I had palace having 6 points on 7 games. Losing to Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, but a draw against Liverpool and Newcastle away was a bonus 2 points but drawing at home to Brentford was a minus 2 points, so pretty much as expected. It was quite a brutal first 7 games for them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simon Jordan made an interesting observation on the Large sacking on Talk Sport this morning. Palace are only just above Wolves in the table on goal difference yet people are saying what a good job Vieira is doing. Wolves have also had both their main strikers injured so can't score.

Trigger happy chairman are a bigger problem than under performing managers imo.

Sorry for the thread derail but the above wasn't worth it's own thread.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Simon Jordan made an interesting observation on the Large sacking on Talk Sport this morning. Palace are only just above Wolves in the table on goal difference yet people are saying what a good job Vieira is doing. Wolves have also had both their main strikers injured so can't score.

Think one of the biggest issues at Wolves is the dressing room. Nuno had it a bit and this guy seems to have players pulling against him. Things are not good in that changing room

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

According to most metrics, Wolves have performed better than CP. But also needs to be said that CP has played four of the big six + Newcastle (who will make it a top 7 if not now then soon enough) while Wolves only played two of them + Newcastle. Palace arguably have better reasons to be content with their season so far.

With the amount of money spent on that Wolves squad, they need to be doing better. Even if Lage is far from the main one to blame - Jorge Mendes is since Wolves is a vehicle under his control - I think one win in 15 games is an unusually decent reason to sack the manager.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

They haven’t really played anyone yet, that’s the problem. Leeds,Fulham,spurs, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Southampton next two games are Liverpool and Man City. You would have hoped for more than 6 points from that lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
- I think one win in 15 games is an unusually decent reason to sack the manager.

Lucky for us and TB that he could see the bigger picture with GP

I haven't watched Wolves, except against us but they were saying that they were playing for Large and decent football but just couldn't score, sounded familiar to these ears. We were also particularly wasteful against shit teams too.

All change at the bottom according to the bookies .. 4835903A-0540-42B7-8E6C-BD1BCA6AA42D.jpeg

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fulham (Stains to pip them on the final day, sadly, with Wolves just surviving too)
Bournemouth
Forest

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And the Premier League team with the best defensive record this season?

Answer - Everton

I doubt if many of us would have guessed that correctly without having looked at the league table.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
According to most metrics, Wolves have performed better than CP. But also needs to be said that CP has played four of the big six + Newcastle (who will make it a top 7 if not now then soon enough) while Wolves only played two of them + Newcastle. Palace arguably have better reasons to be content with their season so far.

With the amount of money spent on that Wolves squad, they need to be doing better. Even if Lage is far from the main one to blame - Jorge Mendes is since Wolves is a vehicle under his control - I think one win in 15 games is an unusually decent reason to sack the manager.
I agree. Palace have been reliant on loan signings for years - their managers haven't been given the sort of war chest to spend on permanent signings that others have had. Wolves have spent something like £100m fairly recently, and on Saturday apparently played an attacking midfielder at centre-back having let the ever-popular Connor Coady go to a direct rival, which is absolutely ludicrous. Of course the narrative surrounding Vieira is different from that surrounding Lage.

When pundits revert to their default position of attacking sackings as premature, they are essentially spending other people's money. Lage has looked clueless for months now (not just this season), and yet was being backed with the chairman's cash. His sacking is 100% fair enough IMO.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree. Palace have been reliant on loan signings for years - their managers haven't been given the sort of war chest to spend on permanent signings that others have had. Wolves have spent something like £100m fairly recently, and on Saturday apparently played an attacking midfielder at centre-back having let the ever-popular Connor Coady go to a direct rival, which is absolutely ludicrous. Of course the narrative surrounding Vieira is different from that surrounding Lage.

When pundits revert to their default position of attacking sackings as premature, they are essentially spending other people's money. Lage has looked clueless for months now (not just this season), and yet was being backed with the chairman's cash. His sacking is 100% fair enough IMO.

In terms of centre backs, Wolves didn't just let Coady go this summer. Saiss and Boly both left at the end of their contracts, and they sold Dendoncker to Villa (another direct rival), and let Hoever go out on loan.

That's FIVE centre back options out of the club, and so far as I can think, only (the excellent signing of) Nathan Collins coming in.

That is absolutely desperate recruitment. Either Lage was responsible for it, and deserved to go, or it was done outside of his control, and he has been tucked up.

They had to resort to Neves at CB this weekend gone, and even he picked up a fifth yellow, so along with Collins, sits out against Chelsea on Saturday. Potter will be rubbing his hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here