Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] SAS- Rogue Heroes….New drama

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Will be rubbish, none of the current generation have any idea of how WWII people thought or acted.

So you basically are saying any TV show set longer ago in the past than about 50 years ago is, by default, utter shite?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No they didn't, they lived in a different time and had a different outlook on life, based on deference and so they behaved differently - I'm not saying that they were not heroic - my point is that modern films portray them as modern people which they were not.

Research?

I have been reading/collecting military history, especially more obscure stuff, since the late 1960's.

Would you care to explain how (in)accurate the start and finish of Private Ryan is?

SPR is very “hollywood”. The storyline of the film is highly unlikely and the finale is pure Hollywood. I can accept that from a film.

But the characterisation is very well done and most of the historical accuracy of vehicles, uniform etc are pretty spot on.

If you like the more obscure aspects, do you listen to the We Have Ways podcast? If not, I reckon you’d like it.

While I’m sure you are very well read, the chaps I have worked with, as well as having a passion for the subject, are very conscientious and also make a living out of their knowledge. They’ll be the first to admit, it’s a never ending subject and inaccuracies are inevitable. Having said that, I’ll take their knowledge over an enthusiastic amateur any day of the week.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Excellent book really enjoyed, I hope the film is as good.

Paddy Mayne had a very interesting life, a man you'd want with you rather than against you.

Mind I'm not sure I'd want to bump into him in a pub!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, what I am saying is when you have actors in period dramas talking in modern idioms it aint right, innit?
" Bunch of Monkeys on your ceiling sir, grab your egg and fours and lets get the bacon delivered... tenpenny ones dropping in the custard " ?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Have to admit I was disappointed with it, after initially really looking forward to watching it.

Using AC/DC as backing music was just weird & didn't fit at all - and I didn't like the way it screen grabbed / animated characters to say who they were as the episode progressed. Just looked a bit Marvel / DC superhero-esque to me.
I've never seen, or been interested in watching, Peaky Blinders - so dont know if its been done in a similar vein to that, as the writers / producers are the same I believe??

I love war time dramas & movies, but this didn't do anything for me - & I doubt I will bother with the rest of it. Real shame as the books are excellent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I watched it all on iPlayer, ok but not the best

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Also watched it all on iplayer. I wasn't keen on the "style" after watching the first episode but as I stuck with it it grew on me. My old man, in his 80s, didn't like the language (use of the c word) etc. Of course the leads were all too pretty looking, with the usual unnecessary and not-based-on-fact love story added, but it is such an extraordinary story that it should really be seen. Remarkable men truly deserving of their motto "Who Dares Wins".

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
The "We Have Ways of Making you Talk" podcast with historian James Holland and WW2 obsessive Al Murray had some interesting things to say about it. The same lack of attention to detail which irritated me also irritated them (e.g. Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses) and they felt the characterisation of the key players was way off the mark. But ultimately they accept that it is an entertainment and people should no more take it as factual as they would The Peaky Blinders (same director).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The "We Have Ways of Making you Talk" podcast with historian James Holland and WW2 obsessive Al Murray had some interesting things to say about it. The same lack of attention to detail which irritated me also irritated them (e.g. Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses) and they felt the characterisation of the key players was way off the mark. But ultimately they accept that it is an entertainment and people should no more take it as factual as they would The Peaky Blinders (same director).
I found it quite the oddity because many of the events depicted I know did happen yet, as you say, many of the characteristics of the leads and their actions/consequences from them seemed ... unbelievable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I quite enjoyed it, I’d suggest a massive amount of poetic licence but it did not detract for me. I did not enjoy the thrashy music at all though, totally out of keeping imo :shrug:

The period music however was great.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wasn’t keen. And have given up on it two episodes in.

Like Peaky Blinders it’s been reduced to whizz bangery and lingering music video style camera shots. Not for me, Clive.

The book and the documentary have told me all I need to know.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No they didn't, they lived in a different time and had a different outlook on life, based on deference and so they behaved differently - I'm not saying that they were not heroic - my point is that modern films portray them as modern people which they were not.

Research?

I have been reading/collecting military history, especially more obscure stuff, since the late 1960's.

Would you care to explain how (in)accurate the start and finish of Private Ryan is?
I think you boys are arguing from different contexts. Yes, of course everything was different in the past, but you can either apply the time/culture filter or not. You choose to not. @The Clamp has, I suspect, chosen to apply.

I'm looking forward to this too. I smell mavericks, thinking outside the box, breaking rules, seeing the big picture, and having a clear philosophy - things that appeal to my prejudices :thumbsup:

Edit I hadn't realized it has started and been condemed as shiite already - :lolol:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I thought it was terrible and more Death In Paradise than Band Of Brothers and gave up after one episode.

It's a shame as I was really looking forward to it but it's no surprise the BBC would fu*k up a potentially great show. Annoying a network like HBO didn't picked it up as they've proven with Band Of Brothers that can make incredible war time shows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here