Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Offensive TV Ad

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:facepalm:

[YT]SEGNFIU9Iic[/YT]

Does nobody watch these before they approve??

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
What's wrong with it...? Whimsical, funny, some people get offended for the sake of it. It's called a sense of humor...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Comic Jenny Eclair said it must be taken off air over its implication that a woman "conned a man into fatherhood".

Tweeting about the advert being "beyond mad", Eclair said the line was "massively offensive".

She added that Crown Paints needed to "get that offensive baby ad off air" as its creators had "basically... set up a scenario that implies a woman has possibly conned a man into fatherhood".

Replying, author and podcast host Daisy Buchanan said she welcomed Eclair's tweet as "I honestly thought it was me being mad".

Other Twitter users responding to Eclair's tweet said the advert was "offensive", "misogynistic" and a "serious error of judgement".

The lyrics state that "now a baby's coming and they don't know what it is", before continuing: "Hannah's hoping for a girl, Dave's just hoping that it's his."

Apologising for it, the Darwen-based paint firm said it appreciated "people have differing views on humour".

In a statement, a spokeswoman for the paint firm said the series of ads were "intended to be a humorous celebration of special life moments that prompt people to paint their homes, in this case focusing on Hannah and Dave, a happy couple expecting a baby together".

"Whilst the ad has been broadly well received, we appreciate that people have differing views on humour and we apologise if any of the lyrics have caused offence," she added.

Reacting to the company's explanation, blogger and radio presenter Nickie O'Hara said their "gaslighting response" was "just abhorrent".

An ASA spokeswoman said it had received 58 complaints about the advert and was "currently assessing [them] carefully to determine whether there are grounds for an investigation".

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
would of bet my house on the fact they were talking about a man and women getting together being the issue.

nope , a women conning a man

comical

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Pathetic. It's almost like some people need to suffer a war or extreme hardship to get their sense of what is important back.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm not offended by the advert, but just found it cringeworthy, and over-engineered. The whole thing - the song, the colour palette, was plastic.

Why can't adverts be like the old days?

'It does what it says on the f*ckin' tin, yer ******* !'

Edit: Crown paints are **** anyway. Dulux is miles better.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I think they're overlooking the real issue here...cutting in walls of that shade to white ceiling and skirting boards. What were Hannah and Dave thinking? There's a reason there's thousands of shades of white options on the market.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
We could start a new game and call it “Find the Offense in That Ad!”. I’ll go first - just seen an ad from Experia credit something, man in a vet’s waiting room with an oversized goldfish in an undersized bowl. Everyone knows how detrimental those bowls are to the happiness of a gold fish. Animal cruelty, advert should be banned. Who do I complain too?

I should like to point out that I’m not normally one to get offended by people being offended, on the whole I find it all a bit tedious, but really a line needs to be drawn somewhere, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here