Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beware the Qataris bearing gifts

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And so what do we think Qatar is going to do with all these stadia they’ve built for the World Cup? I was just looking at a few of them. That’s a big investment. Nice pretty stadiums with lovely seats.

Do we really think that 6 of the stadiums will be half dismantled with seating sent to other countries?

What will Qatar do with the ‘half’ stadiums?

But what if there’s some other plan? What if the winter break is well received? What if the likes of Perez push for an all-star club competition (a kind of The Hundred meets the Champions League?)

Beware the Qataris bearing gifts after the World Cup. They haven’t built all these grounds just to give it all away.

It’s just a thought, but with all the dirty cash used to buy this World Cup I would not be surprised at further skullduggery.

Note:
And let’s keep remembering the 6500 migrant worker who have died since construction on all the infrastructure began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And so what do we think Qatar is going to do with all these stadia they’ve built for the World Cup? I was just looking at a few of them. That’s a big investment. Nice pretty stadiums with lovely seats.

Do we really think that 6 of the stadiums will be half dismantled with seating sent to other countries?

What will Qatar do with the ‘half’ stadiums?

But what if there’s some other plan? What if the winter break is well received? What if the likes of Perez push for an all-star club competition (a kind of The Hundred meets the Champions League?)

Beware the Qataris bearing gifts after the World Cup. They haven’t built all these grounds just to give it all away.

It’s just a thought, but with all the dirty cash used to buy this World Cup I would not be surprised at further skullduggery.

Note:
And let’s keep remembering the 6500 migrant worker who have died since construction on all the infrastructure began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed, the European super league thing will rear its ugly head once again at some point

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Educate me then. Show me a credible source that has been fact checked that 6500 people died during the construction of those stadiums.....which as per the other thread look very nice.

The ONLY good thing about the Qatar bid was the promise to donate the stadia to developing nations afterwards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Qataris are welcome to the likes of Manchester Utd. Apart from the customary three points what do they actually do for us ? I am happy to be rid of all six of them and replace them with clubs from the Championship.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Keep hearing figures like this. Is there any actual proof to back up those numbers?

Qatar refuses to accept most of them as work related deaths, many of the men died in their sleep after long hours of work in ridiculous heat.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Qatar refuses to accept most of them as work related deaths, many of the men died in their sleep after long hours of work in ridiculous heat.

When China was constructing stadiums for the Olympics they used to take injured workers on the back of transit vans and dump them in their home villages to either die of their injuries or starvation or whatever. I have a couple of conclusions; the Qatari death figure is likely to be much higher than 6500 and it’s a shame China isn’t held to account in the same way is the case (correctly) with Qatar.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Plenty of sources but who knows how true they are given that not much comes from Qatar itself? There would have to be an agenda against Qatar given the number of references there are if it's not factual

This is quite an old article

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...grant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Fair enough. Are there any stats to show how many died the 10 years prior to the world cup being awarded?

I went there 2009 (I think) for the England friendly against Brazil it was reasonably well developed then (but nothing like it is now - the airport was like a scout hut now it's the fourth biggest in the world I believe). Those developments would have been built in the same sort of heat. I'm not saying its right just think its slightly unfair to blame the world cup. I would assume the numbers are similar in Dubai and Abu Dabi??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought part of any bid to host a global sporting event like the World Cup or the Summer Olympic Games was LEGACY.

How the hell did the Qatar bid ever pass the de minimis legacy criteria?

They say seats will be stripped out, the upper tiers will be dismantled, one stadium will be fully dismantled and shipped abroad BUT does anybody seriously believe the 8 stadia will be fully repurposed? And what about the transport infrastructure built around these stadia. Quite literally a road to nowhere.

The event should have gone to Australia. Every single stadium would have been used after the event to hold soccer / rugby and could have regenerated areas in a whole number of cities.

However, Qatar won the bid and now this event has become a disgusting waste of energy, resources and human life . The stadia represent a whole herd of white elephants. The whole thing is obscene on every level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought part of any bid to host a global sporting event like the World Cup or the Summer Olympic Games was LEGACY.

They say seats will be stripped out, the upper tiers will be dismantled, one stadium will be fully dismantled and shipped abroad BUT does anybody seriously believe the 8 stadia will be fully repurposed? And what about the transport infrastructure built around these stadia. Quite literally a road to nowhere.

The event should have gone to Australia. Every single stadium would have been used after the event to hold soccer / rugby and could have regenerated areas in a whole number of cities.

However, Qatar won the bid and now this event has become a disgusting waste of energy, resources and human life . The stadia represent a whole herd of white elephants. The whole thing is obscene on every level.

It’ll all be mostly left to rot and fall apart as they’ll have no use for it all. They won’t care that much though - cost to them is relative peanuts anyway

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fair enough. Are there any stats to show how many died the 10 years prior to the world cup being awarded?

I went there 2009 (I think) for the England friendly against Brazil it was reasonably well developed then (but nothing like it is now - the airport was like a scout hut now it's the fourth biggest in the world I believe). Those developments would have been built in the same sort of heat. I'm not saying its right just think its slightly unfair to blame the world cup. I would assume the numbers are similar in Dubai and Abu Dabi??

The 6500 figure is for all the World Cup related infrastructure, such as increased airport capability, hotels, roads etc. as well as the actual stadiums.
I am a bit confused by your concerns of "slightly unfair" to blame the World Cup? It didn't end up being there by accident, money was spent bribing the right FIFA officials, money will flow to Qatar this winter and they hope it will create a tourism industry there for the future, the FA of the teams that have qualified will be paid millions just for reaching the finals, more for progression.
Workers are being hired from the cheapest countries for labour, worked without care for their welfare and when they die they are being written up as natural causes so that their families are not compensated.
This amount of infrastructure would not be going in without the World Cup, it may be though, that because of it, the poor practices of the Qatari's that allow these working conditions helps to end them, but that won't happen with an attitude like yours.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The 6500 figure is for all the World Cup related infrastructure, such as increased airport capability, hotels, roads etc. as well as the actual stadiums.
The 6,500 figure (taken from the Guardian article) is for the deaths of all migrant workers from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Pakistan in the ten years between 2011 and 2020. Not just deaths from working in construction let alone World Cup infrastructure. It includes all deaths, not just deaths as a result of accidents or un-safe working conditions.

The number is still very high and working conditions on many of the projects were (and in many cases still are) horrendous but to state that 6,500 people have died as a direct result of working on projects related to the World Cup is just wrong and potentially undermines legitimate concerns.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Keep hearing figures like this. Is there any actual proof to back up those numbers?

i dont have doubt there have been a lot of fatalities, it is odd that the number hasnt changed for a while, and might be counting deaths unrelated to work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the moving stadia always seemed fanciful, believe it when it happens. i recall promises of energy efficent cooling too, which got jettisoned when the engineers got hold of the concepts and said couldnt be done.

i also remember suggestion they should have sponsored another Muslim nation to host it, Malaysia perhaps, benefiting from the infrastructure and interest in football. that would have been some legacy.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

The answer to this is the same as the answer to any question that starts "How the hell did the Qatar bid..."

dollar-bill.gif

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Qataris are welcome to the likes of Manchester Utd. Apart from the customary three points what do they actually do for us ? I am happy to be rid of all six of them and replace them with clubs from the Championship.

But then the TV money would go as well - not all of it but a lot. That said the money has f*cked football when it should have been a godsend.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Not according to the article that was shared.

I am a bit confused by your concerns of "slightly unfair" to blame the World Cup? It didn't end up being there by accident, money was spent bribing the right FIFA officials, money will flow to Qatar this winter and they hope it will create a tourism industry there for the future, the FA of the teams that have qualified will be paid millions just for reaching the finals, more for progression.

What's confusing? I've no doubt that they obtained the world cup by using underhand tactics. But regardless of them having the world cup or not it was and continues to be a very quickly developing nation. The difference in the place from when I first visited in 2009 to my last visit in 2019 is amazing. Granted the expansion might not have been as much without the world cup but they still would have brought in migrant labour and there still would have been deaths. Which will continue to happen post world cup I'm sure.

Workers are being hired from the cheapest countries for labour, worked without care for their welfare and when they die they are being written up as natural causes so that their families are not compensated.

Right....course we'd never bring in cheap labour from abroad would we. And again world cup or not those deaths still would have happened.

This amount of infrastructure would not be going in without the World Cup, it may be though, that because of it, the poor practices of the Qatari's that allow these working conditions helps to end them, but that won't happen with an attitude like yours.

A quick google tells me over the same period we had 1700 work related deaths in the UK the majority of which were in the construction industry and I would think we have a pretty good health and safety legislation in this country. Not really a surprise that Qatar don't is it? I'm sure you've been on holiday to many places over the world and looked at a building site and thought "bloody hell that doesn't look safe" I know I have. Chuck in outrageous temperatures to the mix and a nation that is built on extreme wealth and why is anyone shocked?

Moaning about it is just a convenient drum to bang currently because they biggest sporting event in the world is happening there. No one has got upset about that part of the world shooting up from a desert to the playground for the rich and famous over the last 30 years until Qatar got the world cup. Qatar will continue to develop post the world cup and I'm sure many more people will die but no one will give a **** next year because the next do-gooder crusade will come along. Sad yes, but also the reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here