Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No more scores on 5live sports report

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sensible. When I first heard about it my instant thought was they can't do that. But then I thought about the last time I actually listened to it which was probably 20 years ago so I can't really complain. I think honestly a lot of people will be the same whether they admit it or not.

It's a nice childhood memory but that's it really, it doesn't really serve a purpose in the modern world and they have too much going on at that time on a Saturday afternoon after the 3pm games and before the 5:30pm kick off to really do it anymore. If I was listening to R5 at that time which I never really am, personally I would rather hear reports from games and a preview of the 5:30pm rather than hearing results again that I already know.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talksport do do it. Adrian Durham treats it like a speed reading competition.

Right. So undue outrage, then? If it's available elsewhere why are people losing their shite, apart from for sentimental reasons?!

I said I thought Talksport do do it, not that they might start doing it if the BBC drop it!

I know – I didn't know if they did it either. My point was that if they didn't do it already, but decided NOT to introduce it when they had the chance to, it would indicate that there is not the appetite for it that there once was.

The fact that they DO do it, but people are still complaining is a bit bonkers. But then, #DefundTheBBC and all that :dunce:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Right. So undue outrage, then? If it's available elsewhere why are people losing their shite, apart from for sentimental reasons?!

I know – I didn't know if they did it either. My point was that if they didn't do it already, but decided NOT to introduce it when they had the chance to, it would indicate that there is not the appetite for it that there once was.

The fact that they DO do it, but people are still complaining is a bit bonkers. But then, #DefundTheBBC and all that :dunce:

I'm not sure this purely a "defund the BBC"thing, it's the opposite I my case . It's the people who actually like the BBC being annoyed with them for getting rid of things people like.
And the argument that's it's available somewhere else( if it is) isn't really relevant. You can find match reports, manager interviews and previews online or on other radio stations

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure this purely a "defund the BBC"thing, it's the opposite I my case . It's the people who actually like the BBC being annoyed with them for getting rid of things people like.
And the argument that's it's available somewhere else( if it is) isn't really relevant. You can find match reports, manager interviews and previews online or on other radio stations

But why is it so important to listen to it on the BBC? The whole thing is a needless Anti-BBC-bashing agenda (the defund thing was tongue-in-cheek) really.

I think the fact it is available elsewhere is TOTALLY relevant. People thought that it wasn't available elsewhere (like match reports, etc, etc). They thought the BBC was the ONLY place that did classified results on the radio, so they would be deprived that 'pleasure'. As this thread shows, most people (including me) didn't realise it's on Talksport –*I guarantee if they did, there wouldn't be as much outrage about it being dropped from 5Live. In a lot of ways it's purely a case of sentimentality.

As I mentioned before, it's a bit like when the BBC 'AXED' F1 (maybe different because that was a costs thing) but it was only a noisy minority who attempted to stop it. Again, as demonstrated here, very few NSC users listen to it – for whatever reason – so the BBC might have made the right decision!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But why is it so important to listen to it on the BBC? The whole thing is a needless Anti-BBC-bashing agenda (the defund thing was tongue-in-cheek) really.

I think the fact it is available elsewhere is TOTALLY relevant. People thought that it wasn't available elsewhere (like match reports, etc, etc). They thought the BBC was the ONLY place that did classified results on the radio, so they would be deprived that 'pleasure'. As this thread shows, most people (including me) didn't realise it's on Talksport –*I guarantee if they did, there wouldn't be as much outrage about it being dropped from 5Live. In a lot of ways it's purely a case of sentimentality.

As I mentioned before, it's a bit like when the BBC 'AXED' F1 (maybe different because that was a costs thing) but it was only a noisy minority who attempted to stop it. Again, as demonstrated here, very few NSC users listen to it – for whatever reason – so the BBC might have made the right decision!

Personally I am outraged over having to use talksport for anything

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sports Report has been shortened. Reading the classifieds takes up about a quarter of its allocated time.

I like the nostalgia of the classifieds but complaining about it would be the equivalent of my tiresome fawning when shops in Brighton I haven't been to since we were at Withdean close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here