Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First two Womens Super League Home games will be at the Amex!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This good news…playing in Crawley can’t be conducive to encouraging local support

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Excellent news and well timed, building on the success of the womens euro's

I've never quite got the argument that opening the Amex isn't commercially viable for womens football. Well, i'm sure it isn't, but all the same costs around it, ie stewarding, cleaning etc apply in Crawley just as much as they do to open one stand at the amex, plus they've got to pay to rent someone else's ground and move a loads of people and presumably other stuff up there.

I more get the argument that the pitch might get damaged with too much football. OK fine, how about in the middle of winter the games take place at "outgrounds". They could tour Sussex, places where Brighton have loads of fans (We bring very few from Crawley) like Worthing, Lancing, Lewes, Newhaven, Southwick. Sell out some smaller grounds. There's always the training ground as a fall back option.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Should be a couple of bumper audiences for these fixtures. Well done to PB and the club for making this happen. What is the usual admission price for the ladies?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I more get the argument that the pitch might get damaged with too much football. OK fine, how about in the middle of winter the games take place at "outgrounds". They could tour Sussex, places where Brighton have loads of fans (We bring very few from Crawley) like Worthing, Lancing, Lewes, Newhaven, Southwick. Sell out some smaller grounds. There's always the training ground as a fall back option.

Those grounds do not fit the FAs requirements for participation in the WSL. Also Lewes already have an excellent side. Shame Woodside Road is not available as a compromise. Interesting to hear David Weir speak about (albeit in vague terms) about the aspiration of bring the women's side back to Brighton either at the Amex or a purpose built stadium.

Very pleased the first two games will be at the Amex I look forward to attending the first one, I'll be away for the second.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This good news…playing in Crawley can’t be conducive to encouraging local support

I've never found being in Crawley particularly conducive to anything TBH. Other than seeking a way out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd really like it if the club applied to increase the number of annual events at the stadium. They should also invest in some tarps to close off the upper west and upper east, a bit like they do at BC Place in Vancouver, which would make the place feel full and less eerie when under 15,000 are there:

800px-BC_Place_2011_Whitecaps.jpg

In Vancouver, the tarps reduce the capacity from 50,000 to around 23,000 I think. Could also be used for early league cup rounds for the mens, where demand is low.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1.jpg

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Excellent news, I hope it means we may be playing more games in the area, although not sure it happens until Tony gets to build them their own ground. I would love them to play more at the AMEX.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Good. Seems like they're going to immediately assess the take up off the back of the euros, and if good we could see more there.

I understand there is a limit on number of events that can be held there each year, wonder what is the maximum number of games they could switch to the Amex?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very good Hope attendance reflects interest in Euros. Strange Hope Powell not making any comments about our womens team approaching season. You would think now would be a good time to build up our side with the hope of increasing ST sales. .Maybe upset about players that have left .Unless we get in good replacements I assume we will struggle. Hopefully she will surprise us with a couple of signings from sides that appeared in Euros

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is very good news indeed.

It is just a shame that the games at the Amex are against "also-rans" rather than the top 4 (Chelsea, Arsenal & the two Manchester clubs) who would, have course, been a far bigger draw. The two London clubs also have significant away support.

Maybe next time.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Very good Hope attendance reflects interest in Euros. Strange Hope Powell not making any comments about our womens team approaching season. You would think now would be a good time to build up our side with the hope of increasing ST sales. .Maybe upset about players that have left .Unless we get in good replacements I assume we will struggle. Hopefully she will surprise us with a couple of signings from sides that appeared in Euros

Well I bought a season ticket yesterday, on the back of a few games last season, for only £49, thats less than a fiver a league game, plus any cup games are free on top, seemed a non brainer to me

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't we swap Crawley with something nice in Surrey?A nice little village with a cricket pitch and decent local will do

Cranleigh sounds good. Hardly even need to change the signs that way either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems like a perfick time to extend the arrangement to play games at the Amex. If there's a standing arrangement with Crawley, then just pay off the contract for their troubles. Playing home games at Crawley was always the main obstacle to local support numbers in any case

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It has been suggested that she might be the reason our best 5 players have left.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here