Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Goring Gap High Court challenge today

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what bothers me about planning objections is claiming to lose a green space or a local amenity. here i see "open countryside" and effect on the South Downs. its a fecking field between the railway and the A259, mile from the downs. only better use for this would be a nice stadium.

many developments near me over past decade and the terrible traffic has never manifested itself. guess what, people all leave at different times. only problem i see with that plan is not using that land in the NW corner, get another 100 in there.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed as long as I can remember it’s been a field of nothing. Never see anyone working on it or farming, so just a huge big open space that isn’t really kept or used

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
what bothers me about planning objections is claiming to lose a green space or a local amenity. here i see "open countryside" and effect on the South Downs. its a fecking field between the railway and the A259, mile from the downs. only better use for this would be a nice stadium.

many developments near me over past decade and the terrible traffic has never manifested itself. guess what, people all leave at different times. only problem i see with that plan is not using that land in the NW corner, get another 100 in there.

Yeh I see why you mean.
Same for us up here, rolling fields of green pastures until the A40, then hey presto the government whack the HS2 right in the middle of it.
No brainer really ???

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Worthing rugby club had plans to relocate here a few years back, shame that this never came to fruition. I have some sympathy with Icy Gull here, but for me the critical Goring gap exists at the seafront. this is easy enough to reach for anyone south of Goring station.
Heading east you have the Adur and then Telescombe Tye, the Ouse, being the only things breaking up a continuos stretch of development, over a 20 plus mile range.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Far too many unaffordable houses and flats being built on the south coast. It’s not about solving the housing problem. It’s about councils giving planning so they can rake in a load of extra council tax. It’s about vast profits for developers like Hyde Homes.

One of those developers is called “Solid Sky”. Tells you all you need to know about their intentions.

Historic towns being swamped by hideous Benidorm style apartments. Skylines and views ruined forever. Existing houses shrouded permanently in shadow.

That’s just the aesthetic and quality of living side. The infrastructure is not there to support such huge additions to the local populations.

Mark my words, future generations will look back on what councils did to the south coast with the same regret we look at historic towns like Kings Lynn that got their lovely town centres replaced with concrete and pink brick retail space, in the name of progress.

We are making a huge, irreversible mistake. All in the name of profit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Permission was given by an out of area inspector who apparently came incognito and unannounced. If you are going to make decisions that effect thousands of people at least have the cojones to stand up and make yourself known and explain your decision. Fecking wimp making decisions that have zero effect on him whilst being anonymous

More houses likely to be built on the other side of the A259 from this area on the land that is currently a vineyard

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Permission was given by an out of area inspector who apparently came incognito and unannounced. If you are going to make decisions that effect thousands of people at least have the cojones to stand up and make yourself known and explain your decision. Fecking wimp making decisions that have zero effect on him whilst being anonymous

More houses likely to be built on the other side of the A259 from this area on the land that is currently a vineyard

I know it’s emotive but that post is a bit out of order in my opinion

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

or, inspector gave objective review the application. you dont need to be local to understand all the inputs to planning decisions. its laughable when look at the map and see the surrounding 60's builds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Far too many unaffordable houses and flats being built on the south coast. It’s not about solving the housing problem. It’s about councils giving planning so they can rake in a load of extra council tax. It’s about vast profits for developers like Hyde Homes.

One of those developers is called “Solid Sky”. Tells you all you need to know about their intentions.

Historic towns being swamped by hideous Benidorm style apartments. Skylines and views ruined forever. Existing houses shrouded permanently in shadow.

That’s just the aesthetic and quality of living side. The infrastructure is not there to support such huge additions to the local populations.

Mark my words, future generations will look back on what councils did to the south coast with the same regret we look at historic towns like Kings Lynn that got their lovely town centres replaced with concrete and pink brick retail space, in the name of progress.

We are making a huge, irreversible mistake. All in the name of profit.

Prett much my thinking. In principle I am not against this development but we know it will just be shitty looking rabbit hutch housing designed and built to maximise profit so for this reason I oppose it. Build something of merit, something you can be proud of...not a load of shit Barrett homes.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

The one that gets me is the objections from people living in a new build estate to proposals for another new build estate next to theirs due to loss of countryside ???

Guess what england was all countryside once!!!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Inspectors are meant to remain impartial and when they visit the Site do not take views from anyone. If it is an Inquiry or a Hearing people can make their views known to the inspector in person at the Inquiry or Hearing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Prett much my thinking. In principle I am not against this development but we know it will just be shitty looking rabbit hutch housing designed and built to maximise profit so for this reason I oppose it. Build something of merit, something you can be proud of...not a load of shit Barrett homes.

Quite. I’m okay with losing some green space as long as what is built there is well thought out and gives normal people the Chance to build a life, start a family, grow old together etc.

In principal, I’m in favour of the Monks Farm development in Lancing / Shoreham. But I’m dead against the 9 storey behemoth on the old civic centre site. It changes the skyline, creates darkness for dozens of houses, wipes out that tree and dwarfs the Welly. Grim.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

wait so you'll object based on how much profit might be made, rather than the need for housing? and unfounded assumptions of what they'll look like? heres what they're supposed to look like.
dont care for the Barret box, bit of a London thing, not everything has to be "of merit" other than substantial build and fitting with the local pattern. need homes not award winning homes.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know it’s emotive but that post is a bit out of order in my opinion

I think it's out of order to build 475 homes when the local schools are full to bursting as are the doctors and dentists and anyone who suggests that the local traffic won't be made worse than the traffic jam it is every morning and evening with at least 1000 extra cars clearly doesn't live around here (or care, why would they?)

It's also been flagged as a flood zone and planning permission is a load of hoop jumping because of it, if you are building or extending a house around here, so how the feck is building 475 houses OK?

Let me guess, backhanders....maybe...

Chatsmore Farm. As mentioned in our last update, Persimmons homes submitted an appeal against the planning refusal of this 475 homes development

CPRE submitted a paper arguing the strength of the local plan policies with the evidence of similar appeal decisions as to why it should be refused. despite the council’s shortfall on its housing land supply targets. We argued that current policies nullified the default position that the ‘tilted balance’ to approve should not be invoked because of those policies strengths.

The appeal was held in January prior to the final approval of the local plan which is expected in July. Despite the Local Plan Inspector already accepting Chatsmore Farm as an exclusion site in his initial and further comments, the other inspector for Persimmons speedily rushed through his findings and upheld the Persimmon’s appeal to approve the 475 homes site. The emerging plan update and existing plan policies were given no weight in his decision.

Worthing BC had no alternative other than to raise a legal high court challenge against that decision particularly as in the emerging local plan, this site was to remain an exclusion site. The court hearing for the council is in July and there is every hope that the approval of the Persimmons appeal will be quashed and the 30 hectare greenfield site will be preserved

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

'Most likely'? What do you base this on?

Given that the land north of the A259 is within the South Downs National Park, and that both they as the planning authority AND the Highways Agency would object to housing, it is far from 'most likely'.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
'Most likely'? What do you base this on?

Given that the land north of the A259 is within the South Downs National Park, and that both they as the planning authority AND the Highways Agency would object to housing, it is far from 'most likely'.

Does this help? Objections tend to get overturned in time as is proved by the Chatsmore Farm planning application/approval which had been resisted for decades. It's literally just the other side of the road.

https://planning.org.uk/app/72/QN8FYVTU0OQ00

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here