Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Job hunting

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Long story sideways, I retired early in 2019 but I'm thinking of going back for a couple of years, preferably part time but might do full time.
I don't really fancy working weekends in Tesco, looking for something more in line with my skills and experience (telecom for 35 years, magistrate for 10).
Thing is, the last job I applied for was in 1983 so I've no idea where to start, looking on google just brings up caring/cleaning/shop work.
Anyone offer any pointers ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gatwick airport are desperate my son and daughter who are at uni got jobs there easily and now working all summer for £13 and hour with a £250 signing on bonus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're looking for something to do, look at charities, getting involved in their board. many cry out for people with useful industry experience.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You could try somewhere like Jobsite https://www.jobsite.co.uk/

You can create a profile listing your skills, then search for jobs that match your profile. You can also set up an email alert so that when new suitable jobs come in you get automatically notified rather than having to keep logging on and searching. I work in IT and I used them a few times for contract work.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Another vote for LinkedIn or maybe try Glassdoor. Part time roles in telecoms might prove a challenge - a field I've regularly worked in but I know Openreach are desperate for fibre installers and also fibre controllers / PMs. I'm sure getting to use Eco-X again would be joyous ! :wink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Get a copy of what colour is my parachute from the library. The only guide you need to finding work.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Gatwick airport are desperate my son and daughter who are at uni got jobs there easily and now working all summer for £13 and hour with a £250 signing on bonus.

If I was a bit nearer I would jump at that but I did several years of commuting to Crawley (albeit once/twice a week) and I don't fancy an hour each way

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Long story sideways, I retired early in 2019 but I'm thinking of going back for a couple of years, preferably part time but might do full time.
I don't really fancy working weekends in Tesco, looking for something more in line with my skills and experience (telecom for 35 years, magistrate for 10).
Thing is, the last job I applied for was in 1983 so I've no idea where to start, looking on google just brings up caring/cleaning/shop work.

I'd also recommend LinkedIn - good luck!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you’re going to go down the LinkedIn route make sure you’ve got a good profile , good record of jobs with dates etc

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
but I'm thinking of going back for a couple of years, preferably part time but might do full time.

Prime Minister suits your working hours requirements - and for two years, that's about as long as the next one will work for.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
As others have said Linkedin is a fantastic resource; can link up(No pun intended haha) with others in your field, and really make some good contacts to a find a decent job. Also I know Indeed is very popular here in the States, not sure how much in the UK? But they are good too and might be worth a go.

Good luck:thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you’re going to go down the LinkedIn route make sure you’ve got a good profile , good record of jobs with dates etc

Also make sure you’ve got the time to read about people’s life stories!! It’s getting like FB

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Another vote for LinkedIn here.

Get your profile set up, and ask someone who's been through the process to walk you through how to apply and find roles etc. Also get your CV scrubbed up and looking decent.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Magistrate you say? We’ve probably met before. :whistle:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Magistrate you say? Was that per chance in the Brighton area? Long shot but did you know a magistrate by the name of Derrick Stirling? Used to be my boss in a previous life and was truly obnoxious and felt sorry for anyone coming up before him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Write directly to companies your interested in, with a succinct one page CV and a well hand-written letter to accompany it.

There’s a huge skills and staff deficit. Employers are very keen to fill all voids.

Your initiative will be admited, plus they’ll save a fortune in agency commission.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I was once working with someone who had worked in that place for over 15 years, so hadn't been jobhunting in sometime. She was reviewing an application from someone and thought it was odd that someone on their application responded to the question 'where did you hear about this vacancy' with 'indeed'. I had to explain it was the name of a jobsite. I mean the rest of theeir application wasn't strong so a bizarre answer like that wasn't completely out of keeping, but still, it was one of their few legitimate answers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here