Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Prefer the bearded lady look

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I’d like to wet shave, and do so about once every five years in a ‘perhaps I’ll have a different outcome this time’ moment of madness.

The outcome? 1000 pinpricks of blood that take two hours of tearing up tiny bits of loo roll and strategically placing them on my face to deal with. Then I get in the shower, all the paper comes off (and contributes to blocking the u-bend) and the bleeding starts again.

This happens to me every fecking time. It must be something to do with my technique because when I have the occasional wet shave at the barber’s he/she has nay bother. I’ve tried different hardware (razors, brushes, blades) and different software (foams, gels et al). Nope.

So, I dry shave with a Braun jobbie. Top of the range, with all sorts of settings - that I never use.

Worth having a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps88RU_BXlA&t=4s

To get a decent shave you don't want to rush it. I sometimes use a single blade safety razor (takes a bit more time) and also a Harry's razor. I use a similar technique with both - an adapted version of a 3 way pass. Warm the face with flannel in hot water ... then a pre shave oil followed by Proraso pre and post shave cream (the green top one just makes the skin sing - amazing). Then a small amount of shaving cream onto a brush and work it over the face. Then go with the grain first, then across and finish against the grain to get the last few bits.

Rinse the face and then while the skin is still damp apply a bit more of the Proraso ... and the face will be singing once more.

I use the same method whether I'm using the single blade or Harry's. I don't shave every day mind you. Usually every three days - or two if I'm going out with Mrs HS!!

One of the reasons I switched to single blade was to reduce my use of plastic cartridges. I've got a small metal container with a slot in - like a money box - which use blades go into. When it's full it can go to into the metal recycling bin at the local tip.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Worth having a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps88RU_BXlA&t=4s

To get a decent shave you don't want to rush it. I sometimes use a single blade safety razor (takes a bit more time) and also a Harry's razor. I use a similar technique with both - an adapted version of a 3 way pass. Warm the face with flannel in hot water ... then a pre shave oil followed by Proraso pre and post shave cream (the green top one just makes the skin sing - amazing). Then a small amount of shaving cream onto a brush and work it over the face. Then go with the grain first, then across and finish against the grain to get the last few bits.

Rinse the face and then while the skin is still damp apply a bit more of the Proraso ... and the face will be singing once more.

I use the same method whether I'm using the single blade or Harry's. I don't shave every day mind you. Usually every three days - or two if I'm going out with Mrs HS!!

One of the reasons I switched to single blade was to reduce my use of plastic cartridges. I've got a small metal container with a slot in - like a money box - which use blades go into. When it's full it can go to into the metal recycling bin at the local tip.

Many thanks; I’ll give it a go.

Damn you man, you’ve encouraged me to spend hours with a bleeding face again.

Both sentiments are probably true!

:lol:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

HAHA ... sorry about that :D

If you've got the time to do it, it's definitely worthwhile.

Becomes more of an enjoyable ritual than a chore ... especially the feeling afterwards of soft/smooth skin (too much into maybe :lolol:)

EDIT: worth getting a styptic pencil too for the occasional small bleed :thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

That is a joke He shaved 3 times. Takes me 2 mins in shower every morning. Shower gel instead of shaving cream. Blades so expensive so appreciate tips for lasting use.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That is a joke He shaved 3 times. Takes me 2 mins in shower every morning. Shower gel instead of shaving cream. Blades so expensive so appreciate tips for lasting use.

Why is it a joke?

I've tried wet shaving in a more minimal way before ... and my face hated it. I ended up bouncing between electric shavers and unsatisfactory wet shaves for years.

We all have different skin types ... some more tolerant than others. Goldstone1976 clearly couldn't get a satisfactory wet before.

Good for you that you can do it in 2 minutes in the shower :clap:

The '3' shaves are actually very quick ... and I'm not in a race anyway!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You don't have a Madame do it with two swords?

I think that's a Shoreham only thing.

Wet for me, shaving soap, brush, a pack of some supermarket or other's own brand blades, 2 mins, 1 shave and Robert is your Auntie's live in lover :thumbsup:

Normally grow a Bruno in the winter months

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I shave about once every three months! Not being particularly hairy in that department it takes about six weeks for a half decent goatee to appear, which I keep for about a month until it gets too itchy, then take it all off and start again!

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Name an eshaver that does the job?

Twice a day shaver.

Sorry it was a poor attempt at humour on my part based on the thread started by titanic " mobile or print at home ? " not intended to be serious !
If you are interested it is currently on the third page , but you're probably not so let's leave it there .

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I effin’ hate shaving and have done the lot including beards. Currently I use a Wilkinson safety razor with brush and soap though I know that a Gillette five blade with foam is easiest. But I kind of think my current approach may be better for the planet (although an ungroomed beard may actually be best for that).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wet shave every evening or my face gets itchy, also why would I want to hide my good looks with a beard? :whistle: :cool:

Nice to see the poll results and I’m in the majority, sometimes I look around when I’m out and think I’m the only one without facial hair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here