Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Santander bike hire up in that there London town

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going up to the grim north on Saturday and feel like mixing it up.
So instead of just whizzing around on the tube we're planning to avail ourselves of the bike hire scheme.
(Clapham to Kensington - then Kensington across to Hackney)

The website makes it appear all very simple so just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks do's and don'ts from personal experience.

Ta muchly.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Even better, get yourselves one of those electric scooters, then you can do all the above at 20 MPH.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Some come with stabilisers, only in areas of London where wheel theft is rife, basically all of it :thumbsup:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Just a warning that they are very heavy. I've used one a few times but always arrived in a puddle of sweat. They are very easy to use and there are lots of parking stations so long as you don't go south of Clapham.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
There are also other companies plenty of bikes scooters around . Try Lime , Tier , or dott . all app based .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You plan to cycle from Kensington to Hackney?

Good luck with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why?

We'll have x hours to do it in, it's less than 10 miles and we are proficient bicycleists.

I find cycling in London to be a challenge. That journey won't be a picnic. You either have the joys of the Euston Road, or a deal of wiggling about.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I’m a big fan and cycle from Kings Cross to Paddington twice a week. A few tips: take your helmets, look for the newer bikes if you get the choice, try and keep to the cycle lanes on some of the backroads…much more enjoyable although will add a few minutes to your journey.

Something you need to be mindful of though. It’s £2 for unlimited journeys under 30 mins within a 24hr period. If your time clicks over 30 mins then you will be charged £2 for each additional 30 mins….this could add up for you.

Enjoy, it’s the best way to travel in London.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ignore traffic lights, one way signs, pedestrians and feel free to use the pavement. Everyone else does.

So... No change from how he terrorises the street of Brighton on his bike then. :whistle:

:kiss:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I’m a big fan and cycle from Kings Cross to Paddington twice a week. A few tips: take your helmets, look for the newer bikes if you get the choice, try and keep to the cycle lanes on some of the backroads…much more enjoyable although will add a few minutes to your journey.

Something you need to be mindful of though. It’s £2 for unlimited journeys under 30 mins within a 24hr period. If your time clicks over 30 mins then you will be charged £2 for each additional 30 mins….this could add up for you.

It is the best way. As you say, lots of back roads which you'd never explore in a million years.

The Brighton one is a great scheme as well. It totally untethers you from feeling like to need a motor vehicle out on town when you know you have the freedom just to decide to go from say the King Alfred to 7 dials on a whim and you can do it without having to calculate bus routes in about 10 mins

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks.

I'm prepared for it to not come cheap and will pay extra for a safer longer route.

It's going to be a lovely sunny day it seems a shame to waste some of it underground, esp when our 2 events are at either ends of the afternoon.

Now got to plan a route.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated.

Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated.

Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

If we're early I might try and take in one of those 'living museums'.

It'll be fascinating to see what it was like working down pit or in t'mill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here