Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Eng v Ind - 5th Test - Edgbaston kick-off 11am

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have to hold my hands up. I thought test cricket in this country was dead in the water. Fortunately, by sheer force of personality, Rob Key got the MD role of the England cricket team, and we haven't looked back.

He picked Stokes as captain and he backed Anderson and Broad - 3 huge decisions he got right straight away.

Crucially, he has split the Head Coach's job into red ball and white ball cricket and nailed the appointment of Brendon McCullum as the test team supremo.

Key then backed his players when it would have been easy to bin off one or both of Lees and Crawley, yet their century opening stand gave England the platform for this incredible win today.

England should thank their lucky stars, all of which have aligned perfectly this summer.

Still not sure how this approach will play out on the sub continent on sterile, slow pitches but at the moment it is a joy to watch. Just hope it's sustainable to carry on playing in such a manner with positive results, nobody can ever have hoped for such an improvement in performance in such a short space of time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Still not sure how this approach will play out on the sub continent on sterile, slow pitches but at the moment it is a joy to watch. Just hope it's sustainable to carry on playing in such a manner with positive results, nobody can ever have hoped for such an improvement in performance in such a short space of time.

Agreed. Playing this way on English wickets with the ageing Broad and Anderson is one thing, but getting results in the sub-continent where conditions are physically demanding is quite another.

In theory, the management team will be looking to continue this aggressive style of cricket by employing one or two attacking spinners where the ability to take wickets will be more important than economy.

My knowledge of the county game does not extend that far to know who best fits the bill. There was a time when a bowling average of 40 was deemed to be expensive, but with England's explosive middle order they'd take that if the strike rate was good.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agreed. Playing this way on English wickets with the ageing Broad and Anderson is one thing, but getting results in the sub-continent where conditions are physically demanding is quite another.

In theory, the management team will be looking to continue this aggressive style of cricket by employing one or two attacking spinners where the ability to take wickets will be more important than economy.

My knowledge of the county game does not extend that far to know who best fits the bill. There was a time when a bowling average of 40 was deemed to be expensive, but with England's explosive middle order they'd take that if the strike rate was good.

I would say Adil Rashid would be a fit these days. 34, yes, but for spinners it's more about fitness. There's plenty left in the tank for him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
20/20 and ODIs for the rest of the month and then the Saffers in the next Test Match starting 17 August.

So we've got a break from cricket till August 17th then :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just over one year ago, at the Rose Bowl, New Zealand beat India to win the ICC World Test Championship

And, in the last few weeks, we've just torn them both a new one ...

Good to see Kohli made to eat his sledging too

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bairstow has always been frustrating. There was a period a few years back when he was comfortably the best batsman in England. But he couldn't quite translate it with his white ball load to the main game at the highest level.

It's like a light has switched on in his head.

Credit to him, he comes from good stock and loves the long game. Okay, Yorkshire, we admit you're good.

Yep, he has translated his white ball form under the new leadership. Time to get Jos Buttler back in the team ?!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
England are ruining test cricket playing like this. **** off back to the one day game if you’re going to do this

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
England are ruining test cricket playing like this. **** off back to the one day game if you’re going to do this

We were 83-5 in the first innings and when the camera picked out Geoff Boycott in the crowd I swear there was steam coming out from his ears and a speech bubble above his head with:

"No! No! No! That's not how to bat in a test match! - You'll win nowt playing like that!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here