jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The answer to that is:-

Quite easily.

Start your defense with

'but I really need my car ...

TBH you probably don't even have to finish the sentence.

So i get over 12 points, my defense would be i need my licence because im a lorry driver and i can not work, the chances are that i could get away with it, however the TC will infact revolke my HGV licence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I totally agree with driving a vehicle is a responsibility that is not taken seriously enough by some

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’d prefer to see tougher punishments on dangerous driving in general. Obviously the result is worse if somebody gets killed but that’s down to chance. This won’t act as a deterrent for those that use their mobiles whilst driving and It won’t prevent people getting killed on the road.

This, about a billion percent. I see dangerous driving every single day and it drives me nuts, perhaps they will always get away with it, who knows but one one hand you have people who are time and again driving ridiculously and get away with it - Someone else may make a solitary lapse and got to jail. The good news is that cameras and people reporting footage from them are becoming the norm, people are going to have to learn to drive better, and slower.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have all the fears and with good reason.

I always assume the driver isnt paying attention and will kill me.
(They don't even know me)

I have absolutely no idea why, when on the road, all cyclists don't have the same mentality.
I do everything in my power to know what's going on and articulate that to drivers.

Many of the laws governing the car should also cover cyclists.

Cycling with earphones should be illegal.
Cycling on the phone should be illegal.
Cycling while eating.
No lights dark clothes etc.

It's freakin dangerous out there and the onus for safety has to be with the bike - cos the drivers don't give a fudge.

I think car drivers who also ride (assuming you’re one too?) have a wider knowledge/experience, can see both sides, understand what can go wrong.

I’ve seen young adults cycle down Bear Road without a helmet at c.35mph, cut that speed by say half at the bottom, then blatantly go through clear red lights. I want all people to live, to not be paralysed. Imho that’s disgraceful behaviour, the sort of thing that makes devout petrolheads hate all cyclists.

I get both sides. If I’m cycling up a steep country lane, at 8mph if I’m lucky :lolol:, and I become aware of traffic building, I wave them all through as I stay very to the left. Collaborative, empathetic, why not?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think car drivers who also ride (assuming you’re one too?) have a wider knowledge/experience, can see both sides, understand what can go wrong.

I’ve seen young adults cycle down Bear Road without a helmet at c.35mph, cut that speed by say half at the bottom, then blatantly go through clear red lights. I want all people to live, to not be paralysed. Imho that’s disgraceful behaviour, the sort of thing that makes devout petrolheads hate all cyclists.

I get both sides. If I’m cycling up a steep country lane, at 8mph if I’m lucky :lolol:, and I become aware of traffic building, I wave them all through as I stay very to the left. Collaborative, empathetic, why not?
Exactly - I don't want any cars behind.
Cycling to work the other day, it's only about 7 miles, pan flat, half of which is along the prom.
When I hit the road I still managed to get 2 appreciative toots for my riding, and hand out a (probably unseen) :thumbsup: to the person who delayed overtaking me, until they were able to, rather excessively, hug the opposite hedgerow.

I'm one of the fortunate few who have got less gammony as they've got older.
My other saving grace is I want a good look at whatever bike is being ridden. :facepalm:

The whole issue is massive with so much blame to go around.
As said earlier I almost always side with us drivers because we are morons.
Why would us cyclists do something so stupid that it would put our lives in the hands of said (easily distracted) moron.

I can honestly say I have never been directly held up for longer than minute by a cyclist either one or two abreast.
I would push that out further when held up by a car in front struggling to get past a cyclist.

So I have little understanding of where the rage comes from, that said I have a few ideas, many of which don't include the cyclist at all!

To me there's more jealousy than empathy on the roads a rather dangerous emotion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly - I don't want any cars behind.
Cycling to work the other day, it's only about 7 miles, pan flat, half of which is along the prom.
When I hit the road I still managed to get 2 appreciative toots for my riding, and hand out a (probably unseen) :thumbsup: to the person who delayed overtaking me, until they were able to, rather excessively, hug the opposite hedgerow.

I'm one of the fortunate few who have got less gammony as they've got older.
My other saving grace is I want a good look at whatever bike is being ridden. :facepalm:

The whole issue is massive with so much blame to go around.
As said earlier I almost always side with us drivers because we are morons.
Why would us cyclists do something so stupid that it would put our lives in the hands of said (easily distracted) moron.

I can honestly say I have never been directly held up for longer than minute by a cyclist either one or two abreast.
I would push that out further when held up by a car in front struggling to get past a cyclist.

So I have little understanding of where the rage comes from, that said I have a few ideas, many of which don't include the cyclist at all!

To me there's more jealousy than empathy on the roads a rather dangerous emotion.

Agree with everything you say.

When we used to go to some country places such as NT Standen or Hever, Mrs.W would get annoyed by cyclists on Sportives say cycling two a breast on bendy country lanes. It was standing joke, us other three took the p out of her angst.

Thankfully I was driving. We got to Standen 30 seconds late.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How do you avoid a ban when you go over 12 points?

You make a case for "Exceptional Hardship". You will need to successfully argue that disqualification will hit you harder than intended. You cannot use the same argument for any subsequent disqualification.
Many arguments fail and "I'll lose my job" isn't, in itself, seen as exceptional (You already had points, you should be aware of the consequence of getting more).

One argument I recall being successful was a feller who lived in the country and had a disabled family member who would be severely disadvantaged by his disqualification.

So i get over 12 points, my defense would be i need my licence because im a lorry driver and i can not work, the chances are that i could get away with it, however the TC will infact revolke my HGV licence.

As a lorry driver you would be considered a professional driver and expected to set a higher standard; you would therefore face a higher penalty than a casual driver like me. As for "I need my license", the answer would be "you should have taken more care to keep it then".

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You make a case for "Exceptional Hardship". You will need to successfully argue that disqualification will hit you harder than intended. You cannot use the same argument for any subsequent disqualification.
Many arguments fail and "I'll lose my job" isn't, in itself, seen as exceptional (You already had points, you should be aware of the consequence of getting more).

One argument I recall being successful was a feller who lived in the country and had a disabled family member who would be severely disadvantaged by his disqualification.

As a lorry driver you would be considered a professional driver and expected to set a higher standard; you would therefore face a higher penalty than a casual driver like me. As for "I need my license", the answer would be "you should have taken more care to keep it then".

I think lorry drivers do get a more severe sentance, i could lose my HGV entitlement for 9 points as it goes before the traffic commisonare.
With regards to the case you mentioned and disability, that drivet should still lose licence as they should have known the consequences of getting caught.

At the end of the day 12 points = ban.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1540976797839499264[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here