Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drivers who kill could receive life sentences under law reform

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61940351

Drivers who kill could receive life sentences as part of changes coming into force this week.

Judges will be able to hand down life sentences to dangerous drivers who kill and careless drivers who kill while under the influence of drink or drugs.

The current penalty for each crime is a maximum prison sentence of 14 years

I wouldn't have bothered with that news story, as the 14 year penalty seems to be hens tooth rare, so having a life sentence on the books would appear to be rather meaningless.

But it appeared on my Twitter timeline just a few places above:-

[tweet]1541003627522936832[/tweet]

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-spared-jail-after-killing-cyclist-inexplicably-293887

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Driving a range rover. Never have guessed

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Why anyone who kills by poor driving doesn't immediately get a life time driving ban let alone jail is beyond me. At lease they will be haunted / reminded by it for the rest of their lives.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I guess top sentences are for those wilfully killing others eg drink, drugs, excessive or aggressive speed. But I absolutely doubt as others allude they’d ever be imposed. You need to do a lot in this country to be put behind bars and I have little faith in the Police or MOJ when so woefully underfunded. And that is another reason why I despise Johnson. Basically, we all go by the grace of god each and every day because of other peoples reckless decisions.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
A car is a lethal weapon.

If I killed someone firing a gun negligently in public, I would expect to serve a lengthy custodial sentence and NEVER allowed to be in possession of that lethal weapon again.

Kill someone driving and you should never drive again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mr Loophole lawyer will be quadrupling his fees !

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I’d prefer to see tougher punishments on dangerous driving in general. Obviously the result is worse if somebody gets killed but that’s down to chance. This won’t act as a deterrent for those that use their mobiles whilst driving and It won’t prevent people getting killed on the road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
14 years becomes 'life'.

Good to see the increment.

I wonder if judges will apply it?

My very layman's view on the sentencing is the penalty will now become anything from suspended sentence to 7 years.

Averaging out somewhere around a 4 year sentence.

Life absolutely won't even enter the minds of the judge.

But that'll probably mean even more people will be left for dead with a broken back and bones protruding through their legs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d prefer to see tougher punishments on dangerous driving in general. Obviously the result is worse if somebody gets killed but that’s down to chance. This won’t act as a deterrent for those that use their mobiles whilst driving and It won’t prevent people getting killed on the road.

Mobile devices should be an instant 1 month ban.

With ZERO exemptions available to magistrates for (eg already for 10,000’s who get to 12 points and escape a ban) the small army pleading; a rural home, a tradesman who needs use of his van.

As with the use of seatbelts, it would be a game-changer.

Leaving a small cabal of people who stare at their mobile, when in charge of a 1.5T missile.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My very layman's view on the sentencing is the penalty will now become anything from suspended sentence to 7 years.

Averaging out somewhere around a 4 year sentence.

Life absolutely won't even enter the minds of the judge.

But that'll probably mean even more people will be left for dead with a broken back and bones protruding through their legs.

When I go for bike rides, it’s my only fear. The driver who takes me out from behind, using their mobile.

I’m fairly safe …. eg always assuming that a driver WILL take a left turn across my path, on narrow country lanes I’m happy to wave cars queuing behind through.

For anyone here ready to turn this into cars are king thread because drivers pay for insurance and tax/duties ….. think child, elderly, disabled, wildlife and pets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why anyone who kills by poor driving doesn't immediately get a life time driving ban let alone jail is beyond me. At lease they will be haunted / reminded by it for the rest of their lives.

Immediately? Without any evidence or even a trial?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When I go for bike rides, it’s my only fear. The driver who takes me out from behind, using their mobile.

I’m fairly safe …. eg always assuming that a driver WILL take a left turn across my path, on narrow country lanes I’m happy to wave cars queuing behind through.

For anyone here ready to turn this into cars are king thread because drivers pay for insurance and tax/duties ….. think child, elderly, disabled, wildlife and pets.

I have all the fears and with good reason.

I always assume the driver isnt paying attention and will kill me.
(They don't even know me)

I have absolutely no idea why, when on the road, all cyclists don't have the same mentality.
I do everything in my power to know what's going on and articulate that to drivers.

Many of the laws governing the car should also cover cyclists.

Cycling with earphones should be illegal.
Cycling on the phone should be illegal.
Cycling while eating.
No lights dark clothes etc.

It's freakin dangerous out there and the onus for safety has to be with the bike - cos the drivers don't give a fudge.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

All of us will have made mistakes when driving. How many times will someone have been driving and suddenly seen a cyclist behind them or come close to them and thought 'Where the hell did they come from ?' it's a fact of life. It happens- even to the best of drivers.

Each case is different. Taking an absolutist view is haughty (and probably a bit hypocritical) in my view.

On the flip slide, there are some complete tools out there. Not just driving under the influence, but acting the dicks. Dangerous dicks. That's altogether different.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do you avoid a ban when you go over 12 points?

The answer to that is:-

Quite easily.

Start your defense with

'but I really need my car ...

TBH you probably don't even have to finish the sentence.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
All of us will have made mistakes when driving. How many times will someone have been driving and suddenly seen a cyclist behind them or come close to them and thought 'Where the hell did they come from ?' it's a fact of life. It happens- even to the best of drivers.

Each case is different. Taking an absolutist view is haughty (and probably a bit hypocritical) in my view.

On the flip slide, there are some complete tools out there. Not just driving under the influence, but acting the dicks. Dangerous dicks. That's altogether different.

Losing your licence isn't the end of the world, dying is. I am not sure how you drive but if I killed someone by bad driving I would expect to be banned for life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here