Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Delap - Man City

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Seems like nonsense to me. Why would we bother taking a loanee when we've already got 1,500 of our own? I'm sure Potter would prefer to blood in Mitoma or Khadra (as examples) than develop another club's talent.

Unless he has a MASSIVE throw like his Dad...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yeah, a signing that goes totally against our strategy. It's probably being touted as a lazy suggestion to try and grease the wheels of the Cucurella deal. File under 'total bollocks'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only way I could see this happening would be if this is a loan with a buy option, like we had with Benicio Baker-Boaitey from Porto.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Why would Brighton want Liam Delap on loan - because he is a cracking good footballer - that's why - and there are a couple of holes now in the Brighton team.

Oh - and there won't be an option to buy - Man City think too highly of Delap at the moment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect people have looked at the rumours of Cucurella and assumed something may happen the other way to sweeten the deal, so are looking at what Brighton might be interested in and what options at man city are and putting them together to come up with something.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only way I could see this happening would be if this is a loan with a buy option, like we had with Benicio Baker-Boaitey from Porto.

Yes, we did pay a fee for BBB - but that's totally different to taking a loanee as a make-weight to reduce the price for Cucurella to do Citeh a favour.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why would Brighton want Liam Delap on loan - because he is a cracking good footballer - that's why - and there are a couple of holes now in the Brighton team.

Oh - and there won't be an option to buy - Man City think too highly of Delap at the moment.

Regarding the holes in the Brighton team. why fix a leaky bucket with a temporary measure, when we have an abundance of fringe players that could do that, we should be past fixing a leaky bucket, we should be going out and buying a new friggin bucket, yeah ?

City can afford to buy him outright, we do not need sweeteners, or special deals that help them out by nurturing delap and helping them.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We've been linked with him before.
I believe he's highly rated by Man City and coveted by many clubs.
I agree with you that I doubt that we are currently in a position where we want to borrow and develop players for other clubs, hopefully we have progressed beyond needing favours to improve our squad.

I'm putting the story down to lazy journalism because the two clubs are currently talking about Cucurella's possible move, and at the same time Man City are also looking for a club to develop Delap.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Regarding the holes in the Brighton team. why fix a leaky bucket with a temporary measure, when we have an abundance of fringe players that could do that, we should be past fixing a leaky bucket, we should be going out and buying a new friggin bucket, yeah ?

City can afford to buy him outright, we do not need sweeteners, or special deals that help them out by nurturing delap and helping them.

And you make a valid point - City could afford to pay straight up. But there are now quite a few holes - and it costs a lot of money to fill them. Sometimes you have to use a sticky plaster to get the job done - because the fringe players may not be good enough and/or ready to get the job done.

Between White (and Burn) last year - and Bissouma and Cucurella (and possibly Lampety as well) this summer - there are gaps appearing (particularly in defence) - and Brighton still need another striker. That is why I would still tout Nathan Collins as a good signing - and Potter should get pay the £25m before Leicester or Wolves get in first.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Brighton don't loan in young players anymore so the whole guess by the original "source" about this player is based on zero understanding of bhafc.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
And you make a valid point - City could afford to pay straight up. But there are now quite a few holes - and it costs a lot of money to fill them. Sometimes you have to use a sticky plaster to get the job done - because the fringe players may not be good enough and/or ready to get the job done.

Between White (and Burn) last year - and Bissouma and Cucurella (and possibly Lampety as well) this summer - there are gaps appearing (particularly in defence) - and Brighton still need another striker. That is why I would still tout Nathan Collins as a good signing - and Potter should get pay the £25m before Leicester or Wolves get in first.

There are no holes. Caicedo was purchased as Bissouma's replacement, so that's covered. We have plenty of depth in defense and we've already signed our striker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These kind of stories really should help Albion fans sort out who's reports are worthy of a second look and who knows nothing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are no holes. Caicedo was purchased as Bissouma's replacement, so that's covered. We have plenty of depth in defense and we've already signed our striker.
To be fair, if both Duffy and Clarke leave this window we could do with bringing in another defender ( not a young player on loan though ).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Any Premier League club needing to rely on loans when they have no chance of making the deal permanent is pathetic. No thanks.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Any talk of a loan to sweeten the Cuceralla deal seems bizarre to me, So they get our player of a season, we then get chance to develop their player for a season and send him back at the end of the year, with little chance of signing him if he has a good season.

Sounds like a load of tripe to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here