Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cochrane gone - signed on a permanent deal for Hearts. Fee (surprise, surprise!) undisclosed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61938261

Also confirmed on the club website.

Good luck to the lad and no surprise he has left. Cucu sets the level for left back at the Albion. Cochrane might play in the EPL one day but he’ll never have Man City come sniffing.

Zac Sturge is the talent to watch in this position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good luck to the lad and no surprise he has left. Cucu sets the level for left back at the Albion. Cochrane might play in the EPL one day but he’ll never have Man City come sniffing.

Zac Sturge is the talent to watch in this position.
Good luck indeed. I thought he might have a higher profile with prospective PL clubs if he was in the Championship - and probably on more money - but he wouldn't be getting European football at Coventry or QPR in the near future! Hearts fans seem pretty pleased about it. I wonder what the fee was (no guesses from the Hearts fans either).

Heard a few good things about young Zak lately. Has he even played for the U23s yet? - Furlong seems to have been the main man at LB.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Andi Zeqiri potentially out the door on loan again - he’s lost his squad number 19, previously number 29 but van Hecke had that for last season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Andi Zeqiri potentially out the door on loan again - he’s lost his squad number 19, previously number 29 but van Hecke had that for last season.
Van Hecke was out on loan last season, as was Zeqiri. What possible relevance do squad numbers have for players who weren't even at the club? I do believe the first six words of your post may be appropriate, however.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon up to 17 more players ( + more youth ) leave on loan / sale.

Cucurella ( urrrgh ), only a "maybe".
Østigård
Rushworth
Karbownik
Clarke
Duffy
Connolly
Andone
Zeqiri
Richards
Roberts
Sima
Ferguson
Offiah
Jenks
Kozlowski
Khadra

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I reckon up to 17 more players ( + more youth ) leave on loan / sale.

Cucurella ( urrrgh ), only a "maybe".
Østigård
Rushworth
Karbownik
Clarke
Duffy
Connolly
Andone
Zeqiri
Richards
Roberts
Sima
Ferguson
Offiah
Jenks
Kozlowski
Khadra
Of course, some of those are in the 25, but there's other returning loanees to add that can make up the difference. I guess like everybody else you're assuming comes straight into the first team squad?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course, some of those are in the 25, but there's other returning loanees to add that can make up the difference. I guess like everybody else you're assuming comes straight into the first team squad?
Yes, I think, but of course don't know, that Mitoma, Undav and van Hecke ( maybe I've missed someone ) go into the 25 man squad.

Add Adingra to the outgoings ( loan to USG not official yet ).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I think, but of course don't know, that Mitoma, Undav and van Hecke ( maybe I've missed someone ) go into the 25 man squad.

Add Adingra to the outgoings ( loan to USG not official yet ).

I think we all expect Undav to be straight in, yes - but I'd forgotten about Mitoma. Weir and Tolaj also returners to be sorted - loan again, U23, or move on?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we all expect Undav to be straight in, yes - but I'd forgotten about Mitoma. Weir and Tolaj also returners to be sorted - loan again, U23, or move on?

I hope that Weir is kept in the u23s. I understand the value of loaning players out to get experience in the football league but I do also think that some of the players would benefit from being at our training ground every day and working their way up that way. Every player will be different and I fully trust the club to get those decisions right but given the lack of game time for both Weir and Tolaj last season, I wonder if there's much value in sending them straight back out or whether they'd be better off staying until the January window at least?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hadn't considered those 2 players.

Tolaj is interesting - maybe sold, loaned again, or even take this year's "apprentice 4th choice striker" role in the main squad.Without knowing the reasons last season's 5 appearances for Cambridge doesn't look good though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope that Weir is kept in the u23s. I understand the value of loaning players out to get experience in the football league but I do also think that some of the players would benefit from being at our training ground every day and working their way up that way. Every player will be different and I fully trust the club to get those decisions right but given the lack of game time for both Weir and Tolaj last season, I wonder if there's much value in sending them straight back out or whether they'd be better off staying until the January window at least?
Yes and no. I'm struggling to think of a time when a half season loan in January has worked out well. White at Peterborough just about - but apart from that ..............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hadn't considered those 2 players.

Tolaj is interesting - maybe sold, loaned again, or even take this year's "apprentice 4th choice striker" role in the main squad.

Isn't Tolaj still with us because we've taken up a one year option on him? In which case, I can only imagine that, like Cochrane and McGill, it is to enable us to get a fee; there doesn't seem much point in loaning him out again for a season when he can then leave for free (unless we can take another one year option?)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not all of us are moaning. I think a year in Belgium will do him good.
The moans about signing a player and then sending them off on loan do leave me perplexed.

There is never a reverse-moan from the same people when the player is introduced into the albion squad later - see Mac Allister, see Mitoma.

Either enjoy the player when signed or enjoy them when they join the squad. It's a rum old do to moan when they are signed and offer no acknowledgement when they later join the squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Matt Clarke is another loanee returning, and going into the final year of his contract. Sell? - or is there an option to extend? Interesting article from The Athletic reproduced here:
http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=26034.msg854186#msg854186

POTS four times at three different clubs - got to be worth a £million or two to somebody, shirley?
I don't know what to make of Matt Clarke or if he has a future here. It is almost as if his signing slipped through the system as a mistake and yet he seems a reasonable player.

I think he'll leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here