Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Perhaps Billy Bragg could underline his credentials by making an album of songs on British railway platforms like he did in America. Proceeds to the Union strike fund obvs.

I feel the underlying message will be that we are ultimately animals.

We breed and strongly protect our own. We want to provide what we can for them and protect them, it's instinctive.

Secondly, we show compassion for those less fortunate, but ultimately charity begins at home.

Mankind is a very selfish entity, yet words otherwise are very cheap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep. This all seems a blast from the past and may actually be intended to undermine Starmer more than Johnson. The left obsesses about diversionary tactics from the Tories then gives Johnson the present he has been waiting for.

If I were Starmer the temptation to hang it all and defenestrate all the 'no compromise with the electorate' numpties would be overwhelming. If I were labour leader I promise you it would be like this, 24/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfHB-b3jvA

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It looks like a concerted effort with others likely to follow suit. It's the loss of money that will affect most. When I went out on strike whilst at the Post Office in the 80s it left me in arrears with my mortgage which took a year to catch up. That was 3 weeks

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well, I am surprised to see no thread regarding the RMT screwing up the country when everyone is trying hard to work a plan going forward.

Just because they feel hard done by.

Does anyone feel sorry for these guys who appear to be playing politics because they smell blood?

How many people who have been on the edge of bankruptcy because of covid, will now topple off the cliff because of more loss of income?

Just what the country didn't want.

How many other vulture Unions will follow this country destroying route?

Is it time for the worker to make a stand against their union?

Trying to help Boris achieve the high wage economy he has been banging on about? Help Boris maintain the full employment he likes to mention?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
But they did, offer 3%?

I think every business worldwide could say corners have been and are being cut and safety is a risk.
But in tough times things need to give, the cash has been splashed like no other Tory government in recent times.
I would have thought the left would recognise this and understand it's time to keep that wallet sealed up.

Sorry, I don't get your point on the last sentence?

Business do not cut corners on safety, the punishments in term of reputation as well as financial are to high.. They may cut people, product lines, reduce real estate etc but they do not **** about with safety. Crass very very crass.

Yep they have been splashing the cash …. To all there mates and to buy votes. Your argument appears to be that providing the support goes to Tory supporters then it’s fine but it shouldn’t go to anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The strike suits the tories politically because the Labour Party refuse to condemn it and the nation is divided... again. Tory voters and many of the 'undecided' will side with the travelling public and it is a great distraction from government mendacity and ineptitude. My comment is not about the political intentions of the Unions - clearly they have not intentionally given this dreadful Government what it wants.... it is just a handy bit of luck for them to use such extreme tactics and so Johnson can begin to stir up the faithful..as you see on this thread!

you're right of course, i just cant understand why the unions would so easily give them the opportunity. they seem so politically naive.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I loathe trains and the state of them. It's very rare to find a window seat that's clean and free of litter on the little side table. I have not seen a ticket checker for months now (because they think with barriers everywhere ticket fraud is impossible). The constant smell of Dettol either on the train or the train station waiting room is sickly. Just masking the smell of stale sweat, cigarette smoke and people generally.

It would be nice if the RMT gave trains a really good clean up while they're on strike - this is highly unlikely as most of the workers are lazy feckers, who are wanting more money above inflation despite an unreliable service that has seen ticket prices go through the roof already.

Just hope our doctors and nurses don't make trouble or we're all doomed!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Thoroughly enjoying Mick Lynch dismantling arguments from Tory lightweights and shit stirring News presenters, with simple, no bullshit straight talking.

[tweet]1539144444997423108[/tweet]

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's very funny, all this talk about the Network Rail CEO's pay packet (even though the strikes obviously aren't about pay). If he is at the top of his trade and gets paid 100k when he could be earning 1m in the private sector, why would he stay? Pay peanuts, get monkeys. He is paid below the going rate for his job (look up the pay for his predecessor Mark Carne or comparable roles in private sector engineering companies). All the pay of Network Rail's board is a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of inefficiencies in the industry which the unions are constantly preventing from being addressed.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
That railway union rep sounded a right kn0b on Newsnight last night. Judging by that interview I think he'd be delighted if the whole country went on strike. I found reference to key workers showed how thick he is. We are all key. The economy, welfare etc all links together. Hopefully it will be all resolved before we all need it for the opening fixture at the Amex. Thats a reminder of how much reliant and open to ransom the club are to transport in/out by train. I just think the strike will increase a backlash of violence by frustrated travellers against rail staff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the rail union will lose this and badly. Manoeuvring to bring in other completely unrelated sectors in a quasi general strike, will back fire.

The vast majority of folk now have other options to carry out their working day. The vast majority of folk aren’t sympathetic union members. It’ll piss people off.

[I’m all for lower and lesser paid people getting decent pay rises and adequate financial help through this cost of living crisis. A carte blanche demand for EVERY unionised person in the industry, won’t sit well with much of the public].

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I loathe trains and the state of them. It's very rare to find a window seat that's clean and free of litter on the little side table. I have not seen a ticket checker for months now (because they think with barriers everywhere ticket fraud is impossible). The constant smell of Dettol either on the train or the train station waiting room is sickly. Just masking the smell of stale sweat, cigarette smoke and people generally.

It would be nice if the RMT gave trains a really good clean up while they're on strike - this is highly unlikely as most of the workers are lazy feckers, who are wanting more money above inflation despite an unreliable service that has seen ticket prices go through the roof already.

I wonder why that is, I’m sure it isn’t to do with slashing staff numbers to do that sort of thing. Yes it’s the decision of people who clean the trains, who have an effect on reliability of services. If you want a more reliable clean service you should point your finger clearly at the government.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If you think you can do better you can do the night shift at Brighton station for £12.92 an hour.

Train Cleaner - Night Shift at Brighton Train Depot https://g.co/kgs/32fcSV

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thoroughly enjoying Mick Lynch dismantling arguments from Tory lightweights and shit stirring News presenters, with simple, no bullshit straight talking.

[tweet]1539144444997423108[/tweet]

Someone commented that Kay Burley there is trying to get Mick Lynch to say they’ll assault people crossing the picket line in a similar way to Chris Morris trying to goad his guests into declaring war on The Day Today and now I can’t unsee it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That railway union rep sounded a right kn0b on Newsnight last night. Judging by that interview I think he'd be delighted if the whole country went on strike. I found reference to key workers showed how thick he is. We are all key. The economy, welfare etc all links together. Hopefully it will be all resolved before we all need it for the opening fixture at the Amex. Thats a reminder of how much reliant and open to ransom the club are to transport in/out by train. I just think the strike will increase a backlash of violence by frustrated travellers against rail staff.

Can’t have the plebs fighting back against our lords and masters, can we?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Anyone know how much Mick Lynch gets paid? How much do the RMT have invested in BP and other petro/oil companies (despite their haranguing of them in the media)? How much do they have in their 'strike fund'?

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
A lot of people deserve pay rises and yes, rail workers deserve one but the railways need modernising and that would save money. That in turn could mean better rewards for union members but the RMT dictate what happens and it ain’t gonna happen. And yes I am a union member!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Ah, back on the "we built the ground in the wrong place, with the wrong infrastructure" bandwagon, are we?

As for your inciting violence towards rail staff, you should be ashamed of yourself! *

* I think I can predict your reply to my last comment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A lot of people deserve pay rises and yes, rail workers deserve one but the railways need modernising and that would save money. That in turn could mean better rewards for union members but the RMT dictate what happens and it ain’t gonna happen. And yes I am a union member!!

The railways have undergone huge modernisation over the last couple of decades. What modernisation are you wanting to see?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here