Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pre-Season 22-23

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
So underwhelming, why so many games behind closed doors?

Could've at least let a few hundred of us into the training ground

USG-BCD
Brentford -BCD
Reading - 23rd July (A)
TBC game - 30th July (H)

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So underwhelming, why so many games behind closed doors?

Because the Amex is being used for the women's Euros.

As I said on the other thread:

Looking at the so far announced friendlies and initial thoughts:

Positives: behind closed doors matches being streamed is great
Negatives: Reading is pretty underwhelming (tinpot club/obnoxious fans).

Really hope the Amex fixture that is still be announced is decent.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Pretty happy if I am honest. I live about 20 mins from Madejski so it is an easy game for me to take the youngest (5) to and get his first feel of live football.

The 12 year old and I have season tickets but its a long old way to go with a young'n if they decide they want to go home

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Because the Amex is being used for the women's Euros.

As I said on the other thread:

Looking at the so far announced friendlies and initial thoughts:

Positives: behind closed doors matches being streamed is great
Negatives: Reading is pretty underwhelming (tinpot club/obnoxious fans).

Really hope the Amex fixture that is still be announced is decent.

We could still play at the oppositions ground though right?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t understand why everything has to be closed doors? I get the home games, but I don’t see why they couldn’t open a small ground in Portugal for the friendly over there, most of the fans that would travel, aren’t going there for malicious reasons, just for a piss up in the sun. Seems a bit OTT to fly USG to the UK just to stream it BCD, surely we could travel there?

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
I don’t understand why everything has to be closed doors? I get the home games, but I don’t see why they couldn’t open a small ground in Portugal for the friendly over there, most of the fans that would travel, aren’t going there for malicious reasons, just for a piss up in the sun. Seems a bit OTT to fly USG to the UK just to stream it BCD, surely we could travel there?
As I said before Mr potter doesn't want scouting teams to know 2 much about our tactics.once again the fans come way down the pecking order

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I said before Mr potter doesn't want scouting teams to know 2 much about our tactics.once again the fans come way down the pecking order

I guess none of them will be streaming it using the free stream on the club website then?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That makes zero sense seeing as, apart from the game(s) when they club are away on their training camp, everything else is either being streamed or fans can attend. It’s nothing to do with Potter being secretive about tactics.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing

A pre season tour/tournament abroad eg in portugal would've been a lot better

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

That makes zero sense seeing as, apart from the game(s) when they club are away on their training camp, everything else is either being streamed or fans can attend. It’s nothing to do with Potter being secretive about tactics.

It certainly can't be about hiding our tactics. I watched every match last season - and still had absolutely no idea what tactics were going to be adopted for the next game!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pretty happy if I am honest. I live about 20 mins from Madejski so it is an easy game for me to take the youngest (5) to and get his first feel of live football.

The 12 year old and I have season tickets but its a long old way to go with a young'n if they decide they want to go home

Every Albion friendly I've ever been to is enough to put off any child for life.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A pre season tour/tournament abroad eg in portugal would've been a lot better

a lot better for who though- the fans -yes but what everyone is forgetting is that this is a pre season schedule designed for one purpose only- to get the team ready to play the first league match. It really isnt about offering cheap tickets to see the team play exhibition football somewhere in the sun. Most of the pre season matches Ive watched have been bloody awful with the exception of the final Amex ones the week before the season starts, which has tended to be a good match against pretty good opposition recently. Most preseason matches have multiple substitutions, are against very weak opposition, are played at a very low intensity , and are used to try out new formations and potential players stepping up from the youth teams and the like, usually very boring matches

Brighton have said in the past that they dont really rate the preseason tournaments so we were never getting that. Every club has their own strategy concerning pre season, some do the money making tri team tournaments in Asia, America and Australia, Brighton do low key training matches in order to asses and increase fitness, not exhibition matches for fans on holiday in the sun.

I never understand why some fans expect the club to revolve around what they want, rather than what the club obviously sees as what it feels is best preparation for the coming season.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
a lot better for who though- the fans -yes but what everyone is forgetting is that this is a pre season schedule designed for one purpose only- to get the team ready to play the first league match. It really isnt about offering cheap tickets to see the team play exhibition football somewhere in the sun. Most of the pre season matches Ive watched have been bloody awful with the exception of the final Amex ones the week before the season starts, which has tended to be a good match against pretty good opposition recently. Most preseason matches have multiple substitutions, are against very weak opposition, are played at a very low intensity , and are used to try out new formations and potential players stepping up from the youth teams and the like, usually very boring matches

Brighton have said in the past that they dont really rate the preseason tournaments so we were never getting that. Every club has their own strategy concerning pre season, some do the money making tri team tournaments in Asia, America and Australia, Brighton do low key training matches in order to asses and increase fitness, not exhibition matches for fans on holiday in the sun.

I never understand why some fans expect the club to revolve around what they want, rather than what the club obviously sees as what it feels is best preparation for the coming season.
Well said

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
It certainly can't be about hiding our tactics. I watched every match last season - and still had absolutely no idea what tactics were going to be adopted for the next game!
I've seen scouts in attendance at the amex training sessions before

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We are in a compressed close season so imagine club is looking to minimise travel and the cost of opening the Amex for what would be a small crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here