Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League June 2022

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn't see a thread about it but might be one somewhere, apologies in that case.

Anyway, here we go... players don't want to play it, lots of people won't watch it, no one remembers who won or lost... aye, it is the Intertoto Cup for national teams: Nations League.

Currently watching Armenia against the sad excuse of a football team called Ireland. Currently 0-0 and no indications that this is changing any time soon.

Later tonight there's some real good stuff. England and Hungary will - as usual - be playing each other. Later on, apparently in the same group, Italy and Germany sounds like a great game if you ignore that everyone involved would rather be on some beach somewhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, that didn't last long.

Armenia 1-0. Lets see if the jolly green army of world class talents can turn it around.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I quite like it as a replacement for friendlies which really were pointless. It's kind of like the league cup or when we were lower league, jonstons paint pot. Before the game you don't really care, during the game you'd quite like to win, once you're out you don't give a monkeys about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am IN. Disappointed there was no easily accessible live game last night, although I was able to watch the England u21s on Youtube.

Come on Ingland!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought players were supposed to play too many games already. So why crowbar yet more?

Oh yes, nearly forgot.....

https://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Didn't see a thread about it but might be one somewhere, apologies in that case.

Anyway, here we go... players don't want to play it, lots of people won't watch it, no one remembers who won or lost... aye, it is the Intertoto Cup for national teams: Nations League.

Currently watching Armenia against the sad excuse of a football team called Ireland. Currently 0-0 and no indications that this is changing any time soon.

Later tonight there's some real good stuff. England and Hungary will - as usual - be playing each other. Later on, apparently in the same group, Italy and Germany sounds like a great game if you ignore that everyone involved would rather be on some beach somewhere.

Intertoto Cup - can I ask how old you are, as this is a competition that finished 14 years ago and isn't really a ready reference for someone "young"...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I quite like it as a replacement for friendlies which really were pointless. It's kind of like the league cup or when we were lower league, jonstons paint pot. Before the game you don't really care, during the game you'd quite like to win, once you're out you don't give a monkeys about it.

It is a good idea, very good actually.

Just stupid to ram in 4 games now.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I'm not particularly young. Just turned 33 some weeks ago.

Wow, from your posts I would have you no more that mid 20s...

Still think Intertoto Cup is a strange reference though, wouldn't have been first in my reference for a pointless cup! :D

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wow, from your posts I would have you no more that mid 20s...

Still think Intertoto Cup is a strange reference though, wouldn't have been first in my reference for a pointless cup! :D
I think the Intertoto Cup is a good shout for a pointless European Competition, although surely it has been reinvented already as the Euro Conference League?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Btw I see Trossard played 60+ minutes for Belgium as they got stuffed by Netherlands last night. Came on as a first half sub for Lukaku.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
watched the Northern Ireland game the other night

nearly fell off my chair to see Gus Poyet manager of Greece

great result in Paris last night

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Didn’t know it was on. Watching the test match which is a lot more important.

I don't think any of it is important in the slightest, but agree, the test match is far more entertaining/engaging, even the bit when they pan past Mr & Mrs May in the members area. Presume Major is there somewhere as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Intertoto Cup - can I ask how old you are, as this is a competition that finished 14 years ago and isn't really a ready reference for someone "young"...
If it finished 14 years ago it is a perfect reference point for anyone in their late twenties or above. What, pray, do you regard as 'young'?

(asking for a friend who's an OAP)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think any of it is important in the slightest, but agree, the test match is far more entertaining/engaging, even the bit when they pan past Mr & Mrs May in the members area. Presume Major is there somewhere as well.

I've never watched a full rugby game in my life yet I'm prepared to agree that the game you're talking about is more entertaining, engaging and important.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I think the Intertoto Cup is a good shout for a pointless European Competition, although surely it has been reinvented already as the Euro Conference League?

Agreed, just thought Swannie was mid 20s, which would have made him about 10 when it finished, and not on the tip of the tongue...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t bother with friendlies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here