Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe it was reported to be a 'technical problem' with Easyjet systems (a couple of days after we flew back on Easyjet :cool:) and now seems to have spread to other airlines/companies.

Anyone know the reason behind what appears from the outside to be a complete clusterf*** ? :shrug:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I believe it was reported to be a 'technical problem' with Easyjet systems (a couple of days after we flew back on Easyjet :cool:) and now seems to have spread to other airlines/companies.

Anyone know the reason behind what appears to be a complete clusterf*** ? :shrug:

Staff shortages, due to COVID, at least in the US.
People may have stopped dying at a clip, but they're still getting sick, in non-trivial numbers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They sacked all their staff, trying to hire back on worse terms / staff found other careers. Doesn’t help these airlines have been flogging dirt cheap flights filling up schedules knowing they don’t have staff.

Oh and COVID still a factor , huge sickness levels with staff.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know SAS is cancelling a lot of flights this summer because they have no interest in giving their employees reasonable pay and working conditions. Might be the case in more of the flight companies.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BA check in staff are voting for a potential July strike in early June

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Security checks have delayed and complicated recruitment. Those working in sensitive roles at airports require employment history dating back five years – no longer straightforward when many have been driven into gig economy roles, or worked for firms who may have gone bust in lockdown. Many applicants – either with better offers, or too cash-strapped to wait – have gone elsewhere before the process is completed.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...amble-to-hire-staff-as-travel-takes-off-again

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They sacked all their staff, trying to hire back on worse terms / staff found other careers. Doesn’t help these airlines have been flogging dirt cheap flights filling up schedules knowing they don’t have staff.

Yep, all this. Plus, a shortage of workers and a surplus of vacancies, people are not going to do shit jobs for shit wages.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw on the Gatwick website that they're re-tarmacing the main runway at the moment and that the work runs from 9.30pm through to 5.30am. So I guess that's maybe going to affect some late night / early morning flights

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

All this but another key factor you missed is the amount of time it takes to train new recruits up.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yep, all this. Plus, a shortage of workers and a surplus of vacancies, people are not going to do shit jobs for shit wages.

I agree with all you say, but I think most of the workers are being thrown in the deep end with little to no training.

Its going to take a year to fully settle down IMO.

My tip wait another year and spend some cash directly into our country, we need it.

For those that like waiting around airports playing spot the plane......crack on.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I agree with all you say, but I think most of the workers are being thrown in the deep end with little to no training.

My tip wait another year and spend some cash directly into our country, we need it.

For those that like waiting around airports playing spot the plane......crack on.

Some of us didn't have the option ,having to use up vouchers by certain dates . If anything goes wrong with my flight Sunday i'm claiming cash over vouchers this time . EJ have had my money since Dec 19.

D

Deleted member 2719

Some of us didn't have the option ,having to use up vouchers by certain dates . If anything goes wrong with my flight Sunday i'm claiming cash over vouchers this time . EJ have had my money since Dec 19.

Fingers crossed for you my friend.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If only you could guarantee some decent weather…daughter n family currently in Crete having a lovely time…especially the children.
However this did follow EJ cancelling their long planned trip to Koz last Tuesday with only a few days notice and then cancelling their flight on a rebooked holiday to Crete as they stood on a packed buss parked next to the plane …they eventually got away on the Wednesday….hoping that EJ get them back tomorrow night!

D

Deleted member 2719

If only you could guarantee some decent weather…daughter n family currently in Crete having a lovely time…especially the children.
However this did follow EJ cancelling their long planned trip to Koz last Tuesday with only a few days notice and then cancelling their flight on a rebooked holiday to Crete as they stood on a packed buss parked next to the plane …they eventually got away on the Wednesday….hoping that EJ get them back tomorrow night!

Spoke to a guy today who reckons he was dead lucky to get a flight back yesterday, as it was touch and go.
Hope it all goes smooth for them.

Jul 7, 2003
Saw on the Gatwick website that they're re-tarmacing the main runway at the moment and that the work runs from 9.30pm through to 5.30am. So I guess that's maybe going to affect some late night / early morning flights

Makes no difference as they use the 'Northern' runway - aka the emergency one. I flew back from Barcelona a couple of weeks ago and we had to go into a holding pattern while they switched flights onto the other runway.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My sisters brother in law is an Easyjet pilot out of Luton and was full and ready to taxi to the runway and was told the flight was cancelled.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
EasyJet a shambles atm….I’m currently stranded in Seville, could be worse places to be stranded admittedly…they sacked too many staff during covid, Ryanair didn’t and are now flying near as damn it a full schedule. EJ Too profit centered and their ex staff don’t want to know + whatever the govt tell us COVID hasn’t gone away and sickness levels in EJ are rampant due to….you guessed it, Covid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
EasyJet a shambles atm….I’m currently stranded in Seville, could be worse places to be stranded admittedly…they sacked too many staff during covid, Ryanair didn’t and are now flying near as damn it a full schedule. EJ Too profit centered and their ex staff don’t want to know + whatever the govt tell us COVID hasn’t gone away and sickness levels in EJ are rampant due to….you guessed it, Covid.

From my experience the current issues definitely affect some airlines a lot more than others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here