Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Official NSC Dog Bore Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At this stage you shouldn't have to be tolerant at all. The owners and their dogs need training.
Might be worth giving them a run around your garden once? I know nothing but it will help on the friendly chat with the neighbours.

I’ve ‘met’ the dogs a few times already - up close they’re great.

Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone have any good / specific tips around guarding ? Our Cockapoo is nearly 2, and guarding was a problem when a puppy but recently got worse. It’s only really around his chews. We’ve gone through quite a lot of training around it when he was a puppy and tried again recently - such as dropping high value treats near him when he has a chew, but it’s not really worked so far.

It’s got quite bad that he can be sat there and just low level growling, or if you get up to leave the room you have to really obviously be looking the other way and move away from him. He’s never ‘gone’ for anyone but when people have looked after him and he’s been a bit guardy of bits they’re obviously a bit put off.

It sounds odd but I’m convinced sometimes it is deliberately confrontational - as he may bring a chew right next to you and be chewing on it and then suddenly start giving you some warning growls

With the guarding, does it seem like a schizophrenic type change in him?

First off, it is worth trying a behaviourist rather than a trainer to see if they are able to help with identifying the issues and then ideas for resolving this. Not sure which vets you are with - we moved to Arun a while ago and they have been very good - but they might be able to recommend someone. If the behaviourist can't help then it could be that there is an underlying issue which an scan could help identify.

We have a similar issue with Harry but he has always had various quirks and the guarding is getting worse and the only way to break his concentration is to put the hoover nozzle near him. Usually it is one of our cupboards but in the ;ast couple of weeks he has also guarded his treat ball he has had since he was very young, and also decided that if I'm on my own with him, if I try to leave the house, he will go to the far end of the garden and growl if I try to get near him.

We have had long chats with the vet but the problem with Harry is that we can't get him into the vet for a scan as even some of the strongest sedatives don't seem to work for him. We have tried doggy Prozac but they didn't help and he suffered badly with side effects. He is now on another drug they use for anxiety but not much change and we know that this is unlikely to be a long term solution for us and that we expect to have to make the horrible decision in the coming weeks.

I don't mean to scare you with Harry's story and I really hope that as he is so young, the behaviourist can sort your Cockapoo out for a long and happy future.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Love Basil the Beagle we used to share. Similar to myself. Selfish, greedy, non aggressive, non barky(not me) and a lover of the Downs and rolling in shit.
RIP at 15 years January 2022. Biggest fanny magnet (not me), I've ever had in his beautiful years 2012-2015. Non stop women bending over to stroke his fluffy ears

IMG-20220210-WA0000.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With the guarding, does it seem like a schizophrenic type change in him?

First off, it is worth trying a behaviourist rather than a trainer to see if they are able to help with identifying the issues and then ideas for resolving this. Not sure which vets you are with - we moved to Arun a while ago and they have been very good - but they might be able to recommend someone. If the behaviourist can't help then it could be that there is an underlying issue which an scan could help identify.

We have a similar issue with Harry but he has always had various quirks and the guarding is getting worse and the only way to break his concentration is to put the hoover nozzle near him. Usually it is one of our cupboards but in the ;ast couple of weeks he has also guarded his treat ball he has had since he was very young, and also decided that if I'm on my own with him, if I try to leave the house, he will go to the far end of the garden and growl if I try to get near him.

We have had long chats with the vet but the problem with Harry is that we can't get him into the vet for a scan as even some of the strongest sedatives don't seem to work for him. We have tried doggy Prozac but they didn't help and he suffered badly with side effects. He is now on another drug they use for anxiety but not much change and we know that this is unlikely to be a long term solution for us and that we expect to have to make the horrible decision in the coming weeks.

I don't mean to scare you with Harry's story and I really hope that as he is so young, the behaviourist can sort your Cockapoo out for a long and happy future.

Actually we are with Arun vets to. We had used the same trainer extensively from literally when we got him up until about a year for bits and pieces. Guarding was one thing we worked on a lot, and he got better but has slipped. It is weird, as with things like his food he is fine - I can literally put his water near him when he’s eating and it’s fine. But a chew he does become extremely guarded over.

Earlier he was playing with my missus , his chew was the opposite end of the room , and when I was walking down that end he ran over to lean over it. It’s literally only ‘high value’ chews we leave for him dotted around, practically nothing else.

The only other persistent ‘thing’ he has is the garden in the evening , as in he constantly wants to go outside to run round. We think it is firework related as when he was very young we had firework night, Christmas & New Years and he became a bit obsessed with what was happening in the sky.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Love Basil the Beagle we used to share. Similar to myself. Selfish, greedy, non aggressive, non barky(not me) and a lover of the Downs and rolling in shit.
RIP at 15 years January 2022. Biggest fanny magnet (not me), I've ever had in his beautiful years 2012-2015. Non stop women bending over to stroke his fluffy ears

View attachment 149004

He looks lovely.

Frankie attracts middle aged women like you wouldn't believe. Then he puts his wet, sandy paws on them.......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He looks lovely.

Frankie attracts middle aged women like you wouldn't believe. Then he puts his wet, sandy paws on them.......

Birling Gap. Asian tourist at photo destination wearing her finest. Sandwich in her bag. Mud paws soon do their work. She wasn't a happy bunny.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Actually we are with Arun vets to. We had used the same trainer extensively from literally when we got him up until about a year for bits and pieces. Guarding was one thing we worked on a lot, and he got better but has slipped. It is weird, as with things like his food he is fine - I can literally put his water near him when he’s eating and it’s fine. But a chew he does become extremely guarded over.

Earlier he was playing with my missus , his chew was the opposite end of the room , and when I was walking down that end he ran over to lean over it. It’s literally only ‘high value’ chews we leave for him dotted around, practically nothing else.

The only other persistent ‘thing’ he has is the garden in the evening , as in he constantly wants to go outside to run round. We think it is firework related as when he was very young we had firework night, Christmas & New Years and he became a bit obsessed with what was happening in the sky.

On if the key aspects of changing behaviour is avoidance. Our dog goes a bit nuts with high value treats like a bone or large chew, he doesn’t resource guard anything else, not food, toys, his bed, nothing, but give him say a bone type thing, he’s burying it in plant pots, digging it up again, hiding it outside, snarling or snapping if you go near him - so we don’t give him high value treats that he can’t consume quite quickly. For him yak sticks are fine and keep him occupied, but not anything too highly prized as he’s like a completely different dog.

Oh and similarly the garden thing - are you sure he’s not doing a perimeter check? All sorts come out at dusk, ours likes to go out and run the perimeter to check no foxes have had the audacity to invade his domain - he gets so worked up he’ll grab a football and shake it like he’s caught something. Sadly we have many a punctured football!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Lovely to see a dog thread and in particular, so many staffy pics.
This is willow, along with her dating site photo F58C0C3F-0860-4638-9535-4AF956524255.jpeg
And this is Trigger, who represents the sensible side of our family 047F2CB2-71A3-4B98-98B7-C340775BF879.jpeg

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
But a chew he does become extremely guarded over.

If that really is the case then just stop giving him chews and the problem goes away.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales

Said goodbye to Sky last night,everything went tits up so quickly it's hard to take it all in,got home at 5pm as usual she comes waddling to the door for meet and greet,muched her dinner down by 5.15,went in the garden for a Jimmy then came in panting,nothing new there but she just kept doing it ,Tay gave her some rescue remedy at 6.30,usually this works,no signs of her being in pain but her gums were a odd colour so we decided to ring the vets,we took her in at 7.45 had a ultrasound and she had internal bleeding in the stomach,the vet said she had 24 hours possibly so we decided to have her put to sleep on his advice.
I feel a right nasty **** for doing it but I guess that's only natural,just incredible how fast this happened,but the one thing the vet said that I didn't know was a sure sign a dog could be seriously ill is gum discolouration and that in his experience lots of dog owners tend not to check the gums when their dogs off their grub ect.

Thanks for a lovely 6 years Sky now doubt lounging on a doggy heaven couch by now.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's gutting [MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION].

I'm in a dark place too. The Mrs has decided to rehome our 1 year old. It pretty much turned into a choice. I've been in bits for a few days now.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
That's6 gutting [MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION].

I'm in a dark place too. The Mrs has decided to rehome our 1 year old. It pretty much turned into a choice. I've been in bits for a few days now.

Hopefully the choice made will be the right one for the dog,right or wrong I doubt it feels the right choice to let go now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Said goodbye to Sky last night,everything went tits up so quickly it's hard to take it all in,got home at 5pm as usual she comes waddling to the door for meet and greet,muched her dinner down by 5.15,went in the garden for a Jimmy then came in panting,nothing new there but she just kept doing it ,Tay gave her some rescue remedy at 6.30,usually this works,no signs of her being in pain but her gums were a odd colour so we decided to ring the vets,we took her in at 7.45 had a ultrasound and she had internal bleeding in the stomach,the vet said she had 24 hours possibly so we decided to have her put to sleep on his advice.
I feel a right nasty **** for doing it but I guess that's only natural,just incredible how fast this happened,but the one thing the vet said that I didn't know was a sure sign a dog could be seriously ill is gum discolouration and that in his experience lots of dog owners tend not to check the gums when their dogs off their grub ect.

Thanks for a lovely 6 years Sky now doubt lounging on a doggy heaven couch by now.

Very sorry to hear that [MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION]

All the best to you and [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hopefully the choice made will be the right one for the dog,right or wrong I doubt it feels the right choice to let go now.

Some jammy bugger is going to end up with an amazing companion as the rehomers are going to train him properly during fostering.

Jul 7, 2003

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you did the right thing though and save Sky from too much suffering.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We had a truly lovely Cavalier King Charles called Poppy, and she lived to 14 years old. I posted on here when we had to have her put to sleep and the responses and PM's were truly heartwarming. There are some absolutely lovely people on here. :)

A year ago we got this little bugger... A Cavapoo called 'Lola' - and as a 6ft 3in, 17 stone man - I act like a total melt around her. :lolol:

Really intelligent, so loving and loyal, and although she'll never replace Poppy she's won our hearts and is one of the family.

C0D38D07-B2D1-43C7-AB01-67B7031B7EBA.JPG

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I lost my step Dad just over two weeks ago, As a consequence we have inherited Rosie, a JRT, she was 12 last Thursday. a bit creaky and wobbly, a proper madam when she wants to be. she's settled in and will hopefully be happy in her twilight years, she's been to the pooch parlour for the works, vets next for a service and MOT. Rocco is very jealous of the attention she gets. Rosie.jpg

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
[MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION]. Sorry to hear that and know your pain as our Charlie had the same thing. House it’s still strangely quiet after Aston left 3 weeks ago. The memories will be strong and comforting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here