Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Clapping while singing "Sussex By The Sea"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This deserves its own thread.

I was one of the main driving forces behind the campaign that ended up with us singing the proper words to Sussex By The Sea.

That success is magnificent. It is so much better at The Amex and even better when done by our away fans.

But needed now is a similarly successful campaign to GET RID OF THE CLAP...!

Other clubs - notably Tottenham, Southampton, Liverpool and there are others - have worked out their anthems sound 100 times better when sung slower and without clapping.

Why can't we do the same? The fans representatives could play a role. It would need to be engineered for a while - but would quickly be established as the norm from which only a few real weirdos deviated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not to bothered about the clapping at all other times.

But the clapping MUST continue as the players come out at t'AMEX.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Other clubs - notably Tottenham, Southampton, Liverpool and there are others - have worked out their anthems sound 100 times better when sung slower and without clapping.

Do you mean “When the Saints go marching in” for Southampton and “When the Spurs go marching in” for Tottenham, both sung very slow rather than the traditional version?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you mean “When the Saints go marching in” for Southampton and “When the Spurs go marching in” for Tottenham, both sung very slow rather than the traditional version?

Saints had a quite horrific version of that earlier this season, with some sort of local amateur brass ensemble trumpeting it at a ferocious pace.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Most fans still have no idea of the words.
Even more can’t be arsed to sing it
Brighton will never be like Anfield, West Ham etc
Post as many times as like on NSC, but actually, it’s the wrong audience. Better off petitioning outside Waitrose across Sussex.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The fans representatives could play a role. It would need to be engineered for a while - but would quickly be established as the norm

Totally agree, give one fan rep a drum and the others a megaphone each and give them prime seats in the North Stand, and they can orchestrate Sussex By The Sea. I would go further and give each one a black hoddie, and get them to throw out any supporter clapping or not signing the slower version.

Bound to be a winner.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Most fans still have no idea of the words.
Even more can’t be arsed to sing it
Brighton will never be like Anfield, West Ham etc
Post as many times as like on NSC, but actually, it’s the wrong audience. Better off petitioning outside Waitrose across Sussex.

I think most people join in, don’t they? They certainly do up in the WSU near me.

As for the original suggestion by the OP. It can’t be sung slower, or they’d have to slow down the backing track! If anything needs to be sung slower then it’s ALBION, ALBION, ALBION…..it was sung slower back in 83 at Wembley.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think most people join in, don’t they? They certainly do up in the WSU near me.

As for the original suggestion by the OP. It can’t be sung slower, or they’d have to slow down the backing track! If anything needs to be sung slower then it’s ALBION, ALBION, ALBION…..it was sung slower back in 83 at Wembley.

People join in with the clapping because they’re too stupid or too apathetic to sing a song with GUSTO!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do we sing the proper words? I hear 'good old sussex by the sea' when the screens say 'oh sussex, sussex by the sea'.

41084896-6CC6-4E58-BFA4-78A67B2C2D6C.jpeg

Yes

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Get those words off those screens. And never bring them back.

Also, GOSBTS for the start of the game, but not at half time. Replace it with “Right Here, Right Now”.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We (fans) need to slow down. GOSBTS and every other song is sung way too fast. I don’t mean ‘when the Spurs’ slow because that sounds shite, just get back to ‘normal’ speed.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Clapping while singing "Sussex By The Sea"

Yes, that verse.

The crowd sing

good old sussex by the sea

not, as you show

oh sussex, sussex by the sea

At least that's how it sounds around me (no, I don't sing, never have).

I always sing Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea, but I hear others around me who still sing two lines of Good old Sussex by the sea.

For that reason, we sadly still need the karaoke screens for the foreseeable.

I can’t clap and sing loudly, so tend to only clap the first few bars as the teams emerge, then go into singing mode only.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
As far back as I can remember Albion fans have been singing-
Good old Sussex by the sea x 2

I used to sing good old twice until someone on here posted the proper words and they also appeared on the big screens now all we need is to convince about 20,000 more and we can all be singing from the same hymn sheet ! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here