Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Is this joke offensive?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you didn't know their names? Perfectly plausible.

Big English/Irish lads may be visually quite similar, apart from the ginger hair of course.

I wonder if that's why commentators take the trouble to learn the names, as most fans do, rather than rely on clumsy (and possibly inappropriate) descriptions.
Imagine how it could play out in a tussle between Salah and Son....the mind boggles.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
So why can't pacemaking be considered specific?

It's a rather specific talent that one nation is overwhelmingly involved with.

I bring you back to my question re: swimming. Would you really need to specify an American or Australian? Of course, if you mentioned them by name, that's fine, as I'm sure there's plenty of jokes involving Phelps or Thorpe.
How about naming a Kenyan pacemaker, instead? Would that work for you?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I bring you back to my question re: swimming. Would you really need to specify an American or Australian? Of course, if you mentioned them by name, that's fine, as I'm sure there's plenty of jokes involving Phelps or Thorpe.
How about naming a Kenyan pacemaker, instead? Would that work for you?

What if people don't know a specific Kenyan runners name you could just say Kenyan then ?

I mean is there any joke that could be told in the world where by Kenya or Kenyans are referenced in your view?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder if that's why commentators take the trouble to learn the names, as most fans do, rather than rely on clumsy (and possibly inappropriate) descriptions.
Imagine how it could play out in a tussle between Salah and Son....the mind boggles.

So in your world use of visual identification is not permissable if colour is the obvious parameter used?

And your use of Salah and Son is just whataboutery of the highest order.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
What if people don't know a specific Kenyan runners name you could just say Kenyan then ?

I mean is there any joke that could be told in the world where by Kenya or Kenyans are referenced in your view?

If there's a joke to be made about Kenyans, then yes, I expect there's plenty. However, the Kenyan aspect in the OP is completely irrelevant to the point of the joke, as has been explained multiple times.
You do seem rather fixated on the need to include it, and, as you've said, it makes it 'funnier' to you.
That's cool.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

You do realise that commentators refer to players nationalities too?

NBA commentators call Giannis Antetokounmpo the Greek Freak and nobody bats an eyelid.

Or when they reference a Ecuadorian wunderkid they should drop the nation where he comes from and just have the utterly dull wunderkid bit?

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If there's a joke to be made about Kenyans, then yes, I expect there's plenty. However, the Kenyan aspect in the OP is completely irrelevant to the point of the joke, as has been explained multiple times.
You do seem rather fixated on the need to include it, and, as you've said, it makes it 'funnier' to you.
That's cool.

The pacemaking aspect of the joke it vital to the punch line. Associating the world's most famous pacemakers with the joke is relevant as it lifts it up from the utterly bland version you'd offer up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These days…..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This thread is funnier than the joke. What a tangled mess of over analysis and naval gazing.

Portsmouth is good for naval gazing. Current ships in the harbour, and the Mary Rose and the Victory as museum pieces.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People do that shit all the time though. Think of football. Two teams playing, one with a very big white player up front (we'll call him Wout Weghorst) and one with a very big black player up front (we'll call him Adebayo Akinfenwa). In the stands there will inevitably be people who refer to Weghorst as the big lad up front and Akinfenwa as the big black lad up front. Why? It's totally unnecessary. It's not some kind of woke yoghurt knitting to point out this disparity, you literally get small, almost insignificant, casual racism in the stands of this sort all the time. Is it enough to get the game called off and people thrown in jail? No, of course not, that would be ridiculous. It's just enough to put off a BAME fan at their first game from returning, or a copper overhearing it, stopping and searching an innocent black youngster because they were on the large side and wearing a hoody.

The "joke" isn't offensive, per se. Nor is it particularly funny. It is, to quote Pink Floyd, just another brick in the wall.

My thoughts entirely.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It works because Kenyans are the best pacemakers in the world and pace making is associated with Kenyan runners.

Not little men in shorts.

If you're telling a joke you need to use language that to a broader audience will associate with the best known example of that.

Remove the joke aspect and turn it into a trivia question.

Which nation produces the best pacemaking runners in the world?

The answer is Kenya.

Is that racist?

If it's not racist then the joke has referenced a widely held view. That is indeed a fact.

Mate, you are clutching at straws.

The idea that everyone knows that Kenyans are the best pacemakers in the world and that this is what makes 'the joke' work is much more laughable than 'the joke' itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here