Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ever Seen Us Play Better?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Was that the Albion's best ever performance? Almost total dominance of Man U. 4-0! Could have been 6. Some of the interplay was phenomenal - one 5 or 6 one-touch move in the first half was jaw-dropping. I may well be suffering recency bias (!) but I don't think I've ever seen us play better. What about you?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm trying to remember some Silky Dave moments from Withdean . . . . or mid 90's Goldstone dreamtime interplay. Struggling TBH. . .:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The last time I saw us so comprehensively better than the opposition (in a league match) was the "We're ****in brilliant" game at Peterboro.

That was at L1 level though!

Considering the level, this is almost certainly the best 90 minutes that any Albion side has ever played.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Was that the Albion's best ever performance? Almost total dominance of Man U. 4-0! Could have been 6. Some of the interplay was phenomenal - one 5 or 6 one-touch move in the first half was jaw-dropping. I may well be suffering recency bias (!) but I don't think I've ever seen us play better. What about you?

Considering the quality & total value of the opposition on the pitch, quite simply NO.....

We were sublime, never seen better, hard to beat that performance.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I came out the ground thinking it was the best I'd ever seen us play, and with a few nights to sleep on it, I still think it was the best. The atmosphere was amazing, again possibly the best I've personally experienced, and add in to the equation the opposition that we beat. And to come almost 25 years after Hereford, seemed quite apt. Can't wait for West Ham now!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I said to my son at half-time "It's not often you see Brighton play a half like that. Even if we lose this game 1-4, you need to remember what you've just witnessed, because that was special". Little did I know we were going to come out and absolutely BATTER them for the next 45.

So no, I have never seen a better performance from us. The Peterbrough game and the first 30 mins of the play-off home game to Sheff Weds are probably the closest, but they were at a lower level.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

You obviously weren't there for the 10 - 1 defeat of Wisbech. ( Which was just a warm up for the 9- 0 defeat of Southend in the league a couple of weeks later ).

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
The last time I saw us so comprehensively better than the opposition (in a league match) was the "We're ****in brilliant" game at Peterboro.

Considering the level, this is almost certainly the best 90 minutes that any Albion side has ever played.

I agree the best performance I’ve seen was Peterborough away until the recent away win at Wolves, which I think you could argue was even more dominant than the Man Utd win. In the latter, we let Manchester into the game, understandably after we’d gone 4-0 up. This didn’t happen at Wolves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree the best performance I’ve seen was Peterborough away until the recent away win at Wolves, which I think you could argue was even more dominant than the Man Utd win. In the latter, we let Manchester into the game, understandably after we’d gone 4-0 up. This didn’t happen at Wolves.

I wasn't at Wolves (and was playing cricket so didn't watch it at all) so can't argue. It did sound like we were pretty fantastic.

Also worth considering that Peterboro in that game were down to 10 men after about 15 minutes!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

No. They may be off form but still had one of the greatest players of all time in their line up, plus a load of others who cost a fortune.

We were utterly brilliant. I've been waiting to stuff that lot for 39 years. It was so joyous I couldn't help but well up. Loved every second.

UTA.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I was thinking on this too. I have to say, the Man Utd match was the best performance I've ever seen, whether that be live or on the telly. The fact it was Man Utd, despite how horrendously gash they were, it was still THEM, and it was sweet embarrassing them to the point Ronaldo was laughing at the incredulity of it all.

It has to be the best performance in my book and I'm proud to say that I was there to witness it.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Yep this game as well as the 4-0 win at Charlton. Both great away days.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Given the status of the opponents and all the circs involved, Saturday was the best I've ever seen after 785 games (I have OCD - you should see my spreadsheet!)... and I suggested to my 19 year old son that it might be the best he'll ever see going forwards, although I hope I'm proved gloriously wrong!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Best performance I've ever seen by a Brighton team, certainly.

There have been far bigger games, at four different levels, but I have never seen us so near perfection. It's worth watching it again on Sky, because it's as good if not better than it seemed at the time.

el punal

Been a fan for over 60 years, I can`t remember a better all round performance ever.

Every player was a ten.

I’m about as old as you are! So, I’ve seen quite a few remarkable Albion performances, mostly in the lower divisions. At top level probably the game that stands out was our FA Cup win at Liverpool (2-1) back in 1983. For overall quality though Saturday’s demolition of Man Utd beats everything. :cheers:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've pondered this since Saturday and - for me - it felt like that '91 Play Off Semi Final 1st leg against Millwall

In both games there were spells where we just looked like scoring on every attack and that we could sense 'blood in the water' and could just open up the opposition at will. Didn't we score 3 times in about 10mins against Millwall in that game?

Given how long ago that Millwall game was - I've likely seen my last display like that now (!) but, crikey, that performance on Saturday will live long in my memory...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here