[Albion] Graham Potter's Press Conferences

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He doesn’t look well

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The only surprising thing is that anyone would actually pay any attention to anything that happens in a pre-game press conference anyway.

An incredibly tedious and pointless exercise for managers to endure every week.

It is indeed...but if it's part of the package for being paid shedloads...I'd do it with a smile and be prepared for the dumb questions!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You'd think he'd know what the first question would be and be prepared wouldn't you? Always looks like he's surprised by it.

The only surprising thing is that anyone would actually pay any attention to anything that happens in a pre-game press conference anyway.
An incredibly tedious and pointless exercise for managers to endure every week.

He doesn’t look well

He looks fine, Its not pointless, and of course he's ready/unsurprised to be asked about injuries etc. Honestly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He doesn’t look well

Where on earth do you get that from? He looks fine!

The presser is a dull, dull thing though that only has a function in serving people who have a 500 word space to fill, a deadline and no idea about our club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Where on earth do you get that from? He looks fine!

The presser is a dull, dull thing though that only has a function in serving people who have a 500 word space to fill, a deadline and no idea about our club.

Of course he looks fine. Ha Ha .
PS: granted its not exactly fireworks and full on entertainment but this rather cynical take is a bit harsh on for example the 2nd interviewer who clearly does think its worth his while and as for "no idea about our club " has been reporting/commentating on this club for over a decade. And probably the "voice" of the club over the last 15 years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Of course he looks fine. Ha Ha .
PS: granted its not exactly fireworks and full on entertainment but this rather cynical take is a bit harsh on for example the 2nd interviewer who clearly does think its worth his while and as for "no idea about our club " has been reporting/commentating on this club for over a decade. And probably the "voice" of the club over the last 15 years.

But I'm talking about the Press Conference routine, not individual journos.

If you've got that sort of a record then you should have no problems at all with a) producing a column, even if it's an opinion one and b) getting some one on one time with GPott

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's not wrong here:-

[tweet]1519701291496357895[/tweet]

Although I hope he goes on to acknowledge the home fans and the constant shitshows we've had to endure.

I thought St Mary's was going to be the highlight of my season, then along came Spurs.
I can't help thinking my second trip to the Midlands, this season, will be similar to the first. :down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Although I hope he goes on to acknowledge the home fans and the constant shitshows we've had to endure.

I thought St Mary's was going to be the highlight of my season, then along came Spurs.

:lolol:

Are you me? I could have written that word for word.

Though not the bit about Saturday as I have a) Covid and b) no ticket anyway.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That ‘deer in the headlights’ look is the lingering, gut-wrenching fear that GP feels, every time a press conference begins, that Hove Born & Bred could be back.

His media pass renewed.

His school pencil resharpened.

To Graham, you see, it’s just a sea of faces. Of microphones. Cameras.

So how can he really know - for sure - that Timmy isn’t amongst them once more?

That the first question won’t come from The Daily Telegraph, or The Mirror, or the BBC, but from HB&B himself?

That it won’t be just a regular media doozie about injuries, or formations, or tactics, that Graham can pat away, but - instead - a probing zinger from the Timster. A question no manager could answer. A career-defining truth-seeking journo-missile, aimed straight for the heart of not only everything that matters, but at the very soul of our Graham himself.

Like, “Graham, it’s Timmy here, you know, Timmy, the real proper journalist Timmy. Do you think it would be good to win on Saturday?” KA-BOOM!!!

Or, “Please Graham, please please ask me to ask a question please, it’s: will you be playing a goalkeeper in this match?” KER-ZING!!!

No wonder Graham looks haunted and hounded every time. He hasn’t slept for days. He’s consumed with a terror the likes of you and I can’t imagine. The possibility of facing Hove Born & Bred. The Spanish Inquisition of sports journalism. The Woodward and Bernstein of the back pages.

Cut the guy some slack, for crissakes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You'd think he'd know what the first question would be and be prepared wouldn't you? Always looks like he's surprised by it.

Don't think he is surprised as much as having his mind elsewhere. If I understand it correctly most of these press conferences are pretty much immediately after a training session so he has probably a lot of things in his head... sometimes maybe a niggle or a heated argument between players, or a surprisingly good or bad performance during the session, or whatever really.

Swanny used to provide a great abridged version of these press conferences, shame he doesn't do so any more.

Yeah I think it was during the really rough time last autumn/winter. Coaches give away a little bit more when you notice they're getting no sleep and are a bit agitated.

:shrug:

Generally I listen to the first bit about injury updates and then switch off ..rest is normally b**x
Yeah this. Some coaches like to be in the center of attention and that can be entertaining sometimes but Graham likes football and people, being some kind of clown is not for him.

He doesn’t look well

He looks fine. Damn fine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That ‘deer in the headlights’ look is the lingering, gut-wrenching fear that GP feels, every time a press conference begins, that Hove Born & Bred could be back.

His media pass renewed.

His school pencil resharpened.

To Graham, you see, it’s just a sea of faces. Of microphones. Cameras.

So how can he really know - for sure - that Knob jockey isn’t amongst them once more?

That the first question won’t come from The Daily Telegraph, or The Mirror, or the BBC, but from HB&B himself?

That it won’t be just a regular media doozie about injuries, or formations, or tactics, that Graham can pat away, but - instead - a probing zinger from the Timster. A question no manager could answer. A career-defining truth-seeking journo-missile, aimed straight for the heart of not only everything that matters, but at the very soul of our Graham himself.

Like, “Graham, it’s Knob jockey here, you know, Knob jockey, the real proper journalist Knob jockey. Do you think it would be good to win on Saturday?” KA-BOOM!!!

Or, “Please Graham, please please ask me to ask a question please, it’s: will you be playing a goalkeeper in this match?” KER-ZING!!!

No wonder Graham looks haunted and hounded every time. He hasn’t slept for days. He’s consumed with a terror the likes of you and I can’t imagine. The possibility of facing Hove Born & Bred. The Spanish Inquisition of sports journalism. The Woodward and Bernstein of the back pages.

Cut the guy some slack, for crissakes.

Gus knew who he was. He called him "the fat man".

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But I'm talking about the Press Conference routine, not individual journos.

If you've got that sort of a record then you should have no problems at all with a) producing a column, even if it's an opinion one and b) getting some one on one time with GPott

They do get one on one time with Potter (and every other PL Manager who do likewise before a match ) but they also use these conferences and his answers (heavily edited) for podcasts, news bulletins, and multiple other outlets. Why not ? And you get to know /understand him better from obviously sitting through them each week alongside the post match interviews and the various other interviews that journalists / reporters do or get to do. Its all part of the job and there's not one size fits all. .
Of course not everyone has time to sit through 12 minutes of Potter - its only until recently that you could watch the whole things , an acquired taste - and of course not all of it is new, interesting or worthwhile for fans on NSC or elsewhere but so what ? Its not designed to be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here