Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mid-table mediocrity.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Our first season since the first one at the Amex that we haven’t been involved in either relegation or promotion fights.:rolleyes:

It’s great, isn’t it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mid table maybe. Mediocrity definitely not. Some of our results outstanding, some of our football sublime.

And some of them awful, hence the mid table mediocrity.

It is really nice to be where we are in the table and not be worried about relegation or having to qualify for Europe though. In many ways already planning for next season. And I do have to say our performance against Spurs was the best I've seen from an Albion team since we beat Man City at home, which was the best performance I've ever seen from a team in the stripes. But let's not airbrush over Burnely or some of our awful finishing.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
After the game I was gazing fondly at the table, as you do, when a thought struck me. All the teams around us, our so called rivals for top ten, are absolutely minted.
It is going to be a monumental struggle to get into the top 10 never mind stay there. This could be as good as it gets which is not too shabby to be fair.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's a shame the way the results have gone really. People would view the season very differently if they'd have gone in a different order, and if most of the away wins had been at home. I think we just have to accept that at this level we are going to be a streaky team, because we don't have the quality (finances) to really challenge the top 8. If we didn't go on bad runs then we'd be a top 8 side, and we aren't good enough for that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, not mid table mediocrity.

Mediocrity is completely the wrong word. "Mid table inconsistency" is more the description.

And we've probably only had 3 or 4 seasons in the last 30 years where it's not been seriously squeaky bum time at the end of April. So yes, this is nice. Also a little weird

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes, not mid table mediocrity.

Mediocrity is completely the wrong word. "Mid table inconsistency" is more the description.

And we've probably only had 3 or 4 seasons in the last 30 years where it's not been seriously squeaky bum time at the end of April. So yes, this is nice. Also a little weird

You're right. However I'm wary of ironing out the inconsistency too quickly. We might iron it out the wrong way like Charlton did so memorably. Hopefully we can just carry on building, season after season with our current transfer and management model.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I know "mid-table mediocrity" is the phrase, but I struggle to see our season as mediocre given our relatively small budget. We've actually improved every season under Potter which considering even Palace/Villa can afford to spaff £125k a week on players' wages, it some achievement

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I know "mid-table mediocrity" is the phrase, but I struggle to see our season as mediocre given our relatively small budget. We've actually improved every season under Potter which considering even Palace/Villa can afford to spaff £125k a week on players' wages, it some achievement

How do Palace manage to do that ? I can’t see their income matching ours. It can only be player sales presumably although I don’t really follow the comings and goings at the small teams.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How do Palace manage to do that ? I can’t see their income matching ours. It can only be player sales presumably although I don’t really follow the comings and goings at the small teams.

If only there was a DULLARD who could answer that very question. For a start, though, don't we have an in-squad salary cap whereas they might have a few big earners and lots on smaller money? The thought being, in our favour, that squad morale is better without one or two really big earners in an average squad?

We might have bigger other outgoings as well. PB's salary, upkeep of the magnificent Amex / Lancing, top level women's team?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It’s extremely frustrating that a legitimate European challenge was derailed by two periods of woeful form, but mid table mediocrity is far better than a relegation battle, that’s a given 😂

I know it will be the same for everyone but I do wonder if the break for the Qatar WC will have a negative aspect for us?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If only there was a DULLARD who could answer that very question. For a start, though, don't we have an in-squad salary cap whereas they might have a few big earners and lots on smaller money? The thought being, in our favour, that squad morale is better without one or two really big earners in an average squad?

We might have bigger other outgoings as well. PB's salary, upkeep of the magnificent Amex / Lancing, top level women's team?

PB earns a very good wage, no doubt, but it's still no more than an average first-team squad member (Locadia was probably on more) and won't make a huge difference to the overall costs.

Palace haven't had their full accounts published yet - I expect Kieran will start bashing one out over them when they do - but they do appear to have produced a high-level summary showing that they made a pre-tax loss of 54m last season, which is very similar to ours. I think the main difference is the way that money has been spent: we seem to have spent a lot on transfer fees for young players with potential; their model is more about the here and now.

My guess would be that it's more than likely that we'll make a profit next year. Contract amortisation will increase by about 10 million due to having spent about 50-60m this season on fees, but we've received about 70m in fees incoming for White, Burn and others. Having a near sold-out stadium every week should add another 20m and hopefully an improvement on 16th in the table will bump our TV earrings up by a few million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here