Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can Anyone Explain this Point?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Earlier this season Brighton were on fire and many football fans, including myself, watched some brilliant football being played by your team. It may hurt to say it but you deserved your high place in the league. Your manager was being eyed up by bigger clubs and deservedly so.

On the other hand Palace were favourites to be relegated and for two reasons, the need to replace the bulk of our ageing squad and the questionable hiring of a manager who hadn’t exactly set the world on fire, both being valid concerns.
I
As of yesterday, Viera’s palace are now seen in the media as an exciting bunch of skillfull youngsters, whilst the pundits are all saying Brighton are in a rut and are desperate for a striker. Our fans are excited about this season and on here it’s all doom and gloom.

Yet both teams have won and drawn exactly the same number of times and you’ve only lost one more because we’ve got a game in hand. Chances are, Palace won’t win on Monday at Arsenal, so our record after 30 games will be exactly the same as yours bar goal difference.

Football fans are weird. :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You know how when England have a good win, the press all go OTT saying that we’re going to win the World Cup, and vice-versa when we draw with someone like Scotland in a group game? Well, that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Earlier this season Brighton were on fire and many football fans, including myself, watched some brilliant football being played by your team. It may hurt to say it but you deserved your high place in the league. Your manager was being eyed up by bigger clubs and deservedly so.

On the other hand Palace were favourites to be relegated and for two reasons, the need to replace the bulk of our ageing squad and the questionable hiring of a manager who hadn’t exactly set the world on fire, both being valid concerns.
I
As of yesterday, Viera’s palace are now seen in the media as an exciting bunch of skillfull youngsters, whilst the pundits are all saying Brighton are in a rut and are desperate for a striker. Our fans are excited about this season and on here it’s all doom and gloom.

Yet both teams have won and drawn exactly the same number of times and you’ve only lost one more because we’ve got a game in hand. Chances are, Palace won’t win on Monday at Arsenal, so our record after 30 games will be exactly the same as yours bar goal difference.

Have you been sampling that special cake again from that market stall on Main St :D

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s really the Media just cottening on to what fans have both clubs have known all along. It happens each year around Easter when the media has to look beyond the top 6 because it’s coming to the end of the season now and they have to acknowledge what the others have done.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Because our current form is shite and its hard to know where our next goal is coming from, never mind the next win.

We were booking our tickets for our European Tour before Christmas. Now we're booking our tickets to Preston.

Such is life.

Wait until next month and see what we are looking at.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d like your non-furtive/hidden agenda view on my take:

1. Viera was only bedding in last summer, he’s good.

2. BBS and Holmesdale are full of moaners and pro/anti Parish warfare, player haters. Genuinely it’s given me great fun since the Pardew era. It’s only abated in the last 6 months due to Viera and Gallagher.

3. Gallagher is the difference. I can’t see Chelsea being mugs and loaning/selling him next season.

4. For 15 years it seems your owners relentlessly buy or borrow pace at FB, on the wing and up front **.

When they strayed from this, eg Number 9’s other than Muzza, it led to a string of transfer blunders costing eye watering fees and wages.

** This works, full stop. Especially allied with having about 10 managers in a row who play the counter attacking game. Pardew and FDB the stand out lemons.

I envied your counter attacking game over the years, we’re light years away from winning at the Emptihad or WHL.

5. But despite of all that, there was spiteful warfare on BBS and Holmesdale, due to the stacks of home losses and losing runs.

In summary - perhaps we’re more alike than anyone would admit?

Your view on all that, please.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
You could say Palace have steadily improved and have a coaching set up who seem to be a bit more pro active at the moment. They have also bought and borrowed very wisely. We certainly havnt improved and still use the tactics of a top team but without the quality of players that those tactics require. My hunch is that there is a slow and patient project being instilled into the teams at the club for a long term positive sustainability for success.
In January it seemed we were very close to being a top 10 team . The performances were very good!
For the moment it is a very frustrating place for fans.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just human thickness and inability to see the wider picture. When you win people think you're always going to win and that it will just get better and when you lose people think you're always going to lose and that it will just get worse. Nothing new.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

I

Good post. It is weird. However, I watched your last few games and I’ve been really impressed. Viera has got you defending well and crucially, you have the players ready and capable of a dangerous counter, something that we have been incapable of for too many games now. Add to that you have players eager to score rather than pass. I know I’m going to get stick from some NSC posters but some of us oldies still like to say it like we see it regardless of the precious rivalry.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Football clubs, like shares, can go up and can go down. We fortunately stay on for the ride.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Momentum and confidence.

This.

Also, context.

Such as the spread of results. Win ten, draw ten, then lose ten, then after game 30 you're going to feel quite down. Lose ten, draw ten, then win ten and you're going to be in a very positive place. Our run isn't too much different from the former - we won 4 of our first 5 league games. This was followed by drawing three in a row four times (first three interspersed with losses, last one bookeneded with a couple of wins), and then recently had a run of 6 losses.
Palace's longest losing streak is three in a row (once), their longest drawing run is 4 in a row (once). Outside of that, their wins, draws and losses are pretty evenly spread out across the year.

It's also a factor of who those results were against. Leeds are the only teams currently below you that have beaten Palace, villa may have been when theyr met, I'm not sure what the table was like. But every other loss they've suffered have been Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Tottenham. Those are 'expected' losses - they are all currently top 6, fighting for top 4. Brighton have lost to teams below them like Villa (twice! - although they are now above us), Burnley, Newcastle, and Everton. Palace also have wins against Man City and Tottenham, whereas our biggest win is against midtable Wolves.

Palace have also got an FA cup semi-final to look forward to, a run that has given them 4 more victories, so have combined league and cup 7 homes wins for the majority of their fans to enjoy, almost twice as many as the bulk of our fans have seen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I envied your counter attacking game over the years, we’re light years away from winning at the Emptihad or WHL.

Right now, in this rut, we are. But that’s a strange view, given we’ve beaten both Coty and Spurs in the last two seasons, and won away at Liverpool.

boik

It's a point I made on another thread. People take a simplistic view of things and have a very deeply rooted herd mentality.

If Maupay had put his penalty away and we'd won, most of them would have said it was a great performance. One (admittedly very poor miss) and it's a terrible performance all round.

Less and less people are prepared to analyse and think about things, just shout about what passes in front of their eyes at that moment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Right now, in this rut, we are. But that’s a strange view, given we’ve beaten both Coty and Spurs in the last two seasons, and won away at Liverpool.

CP have beaten 11 man Citeh, Chelsea, Spuds and Manure in their stadia.

With counter attacking football.

They’re graveyards for the Albion.

I envy that, but it also shows what can be achieved with pace to burn across the forwards, a blueprint.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You could say Palace have steadily improved and have a coaching set up who seem to be a bit more pro active at the moment. They have also bought and borrowed very wisely. We certainly havnt improved and still use the tactics of a top team but without the quality of players that those tactics require. My hunch is that there is a slow and patient project being instilled into the teams at the club for a long term positive sustainability for success.
In January it seemed we were very close to being a top 10 team . The performances were very good!
For the moment it is a very frustrating place for fans.

Good post.

We plan a game akin to Citeh, but with inferior players of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here