Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pat Nevin says Ukraine should be given a bye to the World Cup

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup. Just heard it on 5-Live. He thinks that the Scotland v Ukraine playoff should be binned.

Scotland to go on and play Wales in the Playoff final, but Ukraine should be "accommodated" into the World Cup Finals as an additional team now, dropped into one of the groups somewhere. FIFA can apparently work this out for the finals, somehow. This will "send a message to Russia" (although on the the message itself, Pat seemed unclear).

I usually have a lot of time for Pat Nevin. But quite apart from the fact that the Ukrainian players would (I'd wager) MUCH prefer to qualify for the World Cup legitimately, rather than via a sympathy back-door gesture, this is probably the stupidest idea I've heard since Andrew tossed a camera to Jeff and said "take a picture of me with this bird will you ?".

Clinton Morrison on the show thought is was a "brilliant idea" though.

Struth.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Just award them the cup, and we can be done with whole thing without any of tedious football stuff.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yup. Just heard it on 5-Live. He thinks that the Scotland v Ukraine playoff should be binned.

Scotland to go on and play Wales in the Playoff final, but Ukraine should be "accommodated" into the World Cup Finals as an additional team now, dropped into one of the groups somewhere. FIFA can apparently work this out for the finals, somehow. This will "send a message to Russia" (although on the the message itself, Pat seemed unclear).

I usually have a lot of time for Pat Nevin. But quite apart from the fact that the Ukrainian players would (I'd wager) MUCH prefer to qualify for the World Cup legitimately, rather than via a sympathy back-door gesture, this is probably the stupidest idea I've heard since Andrew tossed a camera to Jeff and said "take a picture of me with this bird will you ?".

Struth.

Not sure how high the World Cup will be in the priorities of the good people of Ukraine. Will they want a free pass, prefer to qualify legitimately or actually give a sh1t? Other logistics like where do the players prepare, where do they even play at the moment if home based and frankly how keen will they be to play football while their families are being slaughtered.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure how high the World Cup will be in the priorities of the good people of Ukraine. Will they want a free pass, prefer to qualify legitimately or actually give a sh1t? Other logistics like where do the players prepare, where do they even play at the moment if home based and frankly how keen will they be to play football while their families are being slaughtered.

Prepare in a safe place such as Germany?

A symbolic act to show even the sporting world are 100% behind Ukraine and against Putin’s fascist murderers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Mayor Klitschko has publically already urged Usyk to put down his machine gun and go and smash the granny out of Joshua.

"There are pros and cons and it’s a hard decision to make for Oleksandr Usyk but to have the Ukrainian flag raised and our anthem played and one of our ambassadors of our country out there in the world with the right mindset could be more positive than negative."

I think the players of Ukraine would be up for it, and the people of Ukraine too. To have that opportunity ton put their flag and their cause on a world sporting stage. But they should still have to qualify, to earn it, not have it given to them. IMO thats how they'd want it.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I think Jim White said similar the other day, apparently Scotland and Wales "wouldn't mind Ukraine getting a free pass"

I can't stand Pat Nevin, irritating voice. 5 live really gone down hill the last couple of years, especially now they have thick as pig shit Clinton Morrison on nearly every week.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Will FIFA even broadcast the World Cup in Russia though? Surely if they choose not to then a lot of the point is lost.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Jim White said similar the other day, apparently Scotland and Wales "wouldn't mind Ukraine getting a free pass"

I can't stand Pat Nevin, irritating voice. 5 live really gone down hill the last couple of years, especially now they have thick as pig shit Clinton Morrison on nearly every week.

Woah! Nevin has been the voice of the educated football fan (and John Peel listener) for decades. Morrison is funny, knowledgable and self-effacing, and an authentic voice of wherever he's from. Lovely suits too.

I agree with the OP about the Ukrain bye (unless it was to take Russia's place, albeit they have yet to qualify if I'm not wrong).

And I agree with you that 5Live has gone downhill now that Nicky Campbell has been given the mumsnet slot, supervising the dance of the dimbots mid morning. And, of course, Laura Whitmore, and her interviews with influencers, facebookers and Twitter leaders :facepalm: However it is still mostly excellent. And there is no Farrage!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well seeing its against Scotland, reckon they'd like the lite work out for fitness.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
being a Scotland fan, and having endured years of mediocrity and missed opportunities, and my dad handing down tales of even bigger failures (when Scotland actually produced great players), I can say with great confidence that if the game does go ahead there is absolutely no way Ukraine aren't winning

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Struth.

Merely products of the society they are living in.

Open your eyes a bit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you give Ukraine a bye into the World Cup finals then it becomes a very subjective process for future conflicts. It is one thing to sanction the aggressor, quite another to give free passes to the victim. Adding another team to a group means one more game in that group, which will impact on the team qualifying for that group and make it unfair on the rest.

I think most - if not all - of the Ukrainian footballers will want to continue to play football and therefore the best thing is to play out the matches at Hampden then Cardiff if necessary.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
They're going to win Eurovision - that will have more eyes than the world cup anyway.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh Nevin is normally decent.

But that's a silly idea.

It would be amazing if they did qualify though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

…. and Micah Richards. Fun for a while, behind the giggling and “being a lazy trainer” anecdotes, he disrupts insightful discussions with an uncontrolled raised voice and baseless theories which tend to be pro Citeh/anti everyone else.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
…. and Micah Richards. Fun for a while, behind the giggling and “being a lazy trainer” anecdotes, he disrupts insightful discussions with an uncontrolled raised voice and baseless theories which tend to be pro Citeh/anti everyone else.

Agree. It's a bit embarrassing how he finds anything hysterical.

Clinton Morrisson offers absolutely no insight. Talks fast and says 'ever so well'. That's about it.

Nevin, while has a brain, is a bit too full of himself imo.

Neville, Carragher, Murphy and even bloody Simon Jordan light years ahead but you can see the tactics and dynamics of the game seem to be moving even past their expertise at times. Like to hear their opinions though. Still enjoy the Man U old boys harking back to their times. It's over boys. Let it go. Or just go and watch Salford play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here