Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Introduction of charges for season ticket cards

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The club have said next season will be the last season that season ticket cards (rather than mobile phone downloaded tickets) will be issued free and in subsequent seasons a fee (£20) will apply. Is that morally right? If an existing season ticket holder already has a card does it really per 'customer' cost more to renew compared to a mobile phone download? I have never read anything here or heard from anyone experiencing an actual problem at the turnstiles or ahead of with a card whereas I have heard and seen a range of issues, concerns and problems with a downloaded to mobile phone ticket. lets remember before we judge everyone that its so easy with an app etc. etc., not everyone finds it easy or indeed even has a mobile phone. Has the club got it right or just alienated more fans?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club have said next season will be the last season that season ticket cards (rather than mobile phone downloaded tickets) will be issued free and in subsequent seasons a fee (£20) will apply. Is that morally right? If an existing season ticket holder already has a card does it really per 'customer' cost more to renew compared to a mobile phone download? I have never read anything here or heard from anyone experiencing an actual problem at the turnstiles or ahead of with a card whereas I have heard and seen a range of issues, concerns and problems with a downloaded to mobile phone ticket. lets remember before we judge everyone that its so easy with an app etc. etc., not everyone finds it easy or indeed even has a mobile phone. Has the club got it right or just alienated more fans?
No problem for the club - it'll mainly affect older fans, many of who will have been STHs for donkeys years - and they'll die off soon enough, won't they.

Last edited:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
No problem for the club - it'll mainly affect older fans, many of who will have been STHs for domkeys years - and they'll die off soon enough, won't they.
So a dead supporter solves things? :ohmy:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
As a season ticket card holder I have also received the e-mail. Personally I could probably work out how to put my season ticket on my phone but I know this would cause me an extra headache as I sometimes forget to charge my phone, or even bring it !

I have also noticed that I will probably have to stump up extra cash as my son has decided not to attend next season and I have transferred his season ticket to my elderly father. He does not have a smart phone (or the internet) and will need an actual season ticket card.

Most people are quite at home with technology but some do struggle with it and are generally treated as second class citizens by society nowadays. Progress eh ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I find it difficult to get worked up about this.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Do they check ID alongside the card ever? Do they ask for any sort of evidence as to why you need one and can't use your phone?

Not that I am suggesting this but this seems quite a significant loophole on the no transferring of tickets saga.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
convenience that inconveniences many.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The alternative question is whether going ticketless and cashless has saved the club enough money that it can freeze ticket prices for another season for the majority of supporters?

If it didn't charge for the card, then lots of people would want one, so I'm guessing £20 is enough of a put off that it encourages the majority of fans to embrace what technology offers and in turn saves the club money, but £20 isn't too much that someone who really doesn't want the technology and only wants a card can have one.

Would be interesting to know what sort of numbers apply for the cards as a gauge of how many people this actually impacts, and whether they feel alienated by it. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do they check ID alongside the card ever? Do they ask for any sort of evidence as to why you need one and can't use your phone?

Not that I am suggesting this but this seems quite a significant loophole on the no transferring of tickets saga.

That's a great point, £20 for an ST card is a lot cheaper than paying the £20 for sharing then the Albion+ membership each recipient needs to get.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I’m still reeling from Will Smith’s Hulk Hogan impression.

At least finally put to bed those Batman memes.
giphy.gif

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have got a ST card and pleased I will still be able to use it next season, also pleased there will be no charge.
I will accept that there will be a charge for the following season, I still don’t want my season ticket on a phone for various reasons.
Just before the Spurs match the SIM card in my phone stopped working and I had to order a new one, having the ST card to get into the match saved me any worries that evening.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have got a ST card and pleased I will still be able to use it next season, also pleased there will be no charge.
I will accept that there will be a charge for the following season, I still don’t want my season ticket on a phone for various reasons.
Just before the Spurs match the SIM card in my phone stopped working and I had to order a new one, having the ST card to get into the match saved me any worries that evening.

By the by but your entry would have been unaffected by the SIM card as no data connections are required, it’s either a scan of a Q-code image or Bluetooth on top of the turnstile.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As a season ticket card holder I have also received the e-mail. Personally I could probably work out how to put my season ticket on my phone but I know this would cause me an extra headache as I sometimes forget to charge my phone, or even bring it !

I have also noticed that I will probably have to stump up extra cash as my son has decided not to attend next season and I have transferred his season ticket to my elderly father. He does not have a smart phone (or the internet) and will need an actual season ticket card.

Most people are quite at home with technology but some do struggle with it and are generally treated as second class citizens by society nowadays. Progress eh ?

Not sticking up for the club in this instance, but I can't help thinking that if you can remember to take a season ticket card to get in, you could remember to charge and take your phone, especially if you had your father's ticket on it as well. By choosing not to do so, you are chipping away at the margins by adding to the club's losses if you aren't paying an avoidable loss. Once you have downloaded your ticket at the touch of a GooglePay button, you'll never look back.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I haven’t had my ID checked this season.
No the club haven’t asked for any sort of evidence why I needed a card.

Do you realise the ST card has a photo of the holder on it?
If I did lend my card to someone (I wouldn’t) they would have to look like me (unfortunately) if a random ID check was made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here