Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's have a nice civilised chat about Jason Steele

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So, the man who's name conjures up memories of 80s action films looks likely to be involved v Narwitch I'd like to see some positive vibes about this 31 year old perennial back up goalie.

I like what I've seen of him in the limited occasions he has played, yup there have been a couple of fluffers but some outstanding saves as well, much like any keeper on the planet,what I really like about him is the unbridled just a fan reaction when we score, yes he doesn't get to do it much but just keep a eye on him if we get a penalty, actually scrap that just take my word for it :D.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Sanchez hasn't recovered, Steele will be OK. He's been a decent keeper, except for one season (at Sunderland, I think?) where everything went wrong (pretty much for the whole team, not just Steele).What will be interesting is who will be on the bench - McGill?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The bottom line is that we do need to put some pressure on big Bob to recover his form and unflappable demeanor of last season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hope it might force us to be a bit more direct in getting the ball forward as he won’t be so adept at the pretty passing around at the back as Sanchez is, which might do us a favour (especially against Norwich)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Jason Steele is alright. Has a poor reputation due to the "We're all going to die stuck with Sunderland" or what the Netflix series was called.

The bottom line is that we do need to put some pressure on big Bob to recover his form and unflappable demeanor of last season.

Oh yeah. When someone is having a bit of a hard time, the best solution is usually to put some more pressure on that person.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope it might force us to be a bit more direct in getting the ball forward as he won’t be so adept at the pretty passing around at the back as Sanchez is, which might do us a favour (especially against Norwich)

We could be playing rush keeper and GPott will still insist on 20 passes in the penalty area.

Actually make that BOTH penalty areas.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Considering his time here and lack of game time I think he's conducted himself very well and always seems positive about his role and if he gets a chance I'm sure he won't let the team down .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Great, Bob has been even more dozy than usual lately. Hopefully Jason will grasp this chance with both hands (or at least parry it over the crossbar)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Sanchez hasn't recovered, Steele will be OK. He's been a decent keeper, except for one season (at Sunderland, I think?) where everything went wrong (pretty much for the whole team, not just Steele).What will be interesting is who will be on the bench - McGill?

Steele made his PL debut for Villa (A) earlier this season. He wasn’t at fault for either of their late goals and had a decent game . McGill has already been on the bench (and travelled with team in more) in a couple of games so assume he is now our #3 - given Scherpen on loan.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Interestingly, or not, he still lives in the North East. His kids go to the same school as mine and I see him a fair bit on the school run. He must only do a max of 2-3 days a week training!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Considering his time here and lack of game time I think he's conducted himself very well and always seems positive about his role and if he gets a chance I'm sure he won't let the team down .

Such is the normal life of the back-up keeper. I can think of only 2 occasions in the entire Amex era where we’ve genuinely needed to use the number 2 number 1. One was the time that Stockdale got injured at the end of the 3-0 against Forest; the other was earlier this season when Sanchez was suspended. Any others?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interestingly, or not, he still lives in the North East. His kids go to the same school as mine and I see him a fair bit on the school run. He must only do a max of 2-3 days a week training!

Maybe... sounds a bit too little. In most professional clubs you're expected to show up on the training ground five days a week (though you only train football for four of them). Maybe is different for backup goalies, not much purpose in showing up for the rehab training you always/usually do the second day after a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here