Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Well then? Obviously this is all hypothetical, and we're probably going to stick to the mantra of 'evolution, not revolution', however we've actually been worse than last season despite being higher in the table for most of this season, we still can't score, but now we're not creating anywhere near as much and we haven't had the solid defence either. To be honest we could fnd ourselves in major s*** next season if we don't perform some significant surgery on that squad over the summer

Personally I don't think Undav on his own will be enough, so we could do with another forward coming in. Also think we need some added vision in the middle of the park, noticed that John Swift at Reading seems to have an expiring contract this summer, and leads the way for chances created in the championship by some distance for a poor side, so I'd be giving him a call, particularly if Groß doesn't stay. I also think we may sell Trossard, so another wide/attacking midfield player coming in could be necessary, someone like Johnson at Forest, particularly if the club feel that Khadra isn't ready. Not sure we need to replace Bissouma who will probably also go, think we're well stocked in that area, Caicedo can hopefully be the man we need. We could also definitely do with another left footed centre back, and in an ideal world an experienced keeper to help coach Sanchez.

In terms of departures, Trossard and Bissouma are two who I can envisage being sold, and I also think we need to have a clearout of the glut of central midfielders we have who are good with the ball at their feet but have absolutely zero end product. Obviously this all my own layman's opinion, however I do think the recruitment team have their work cut out this summer, that's for sure

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone starting these threads before the 'lap of dishonour' is normally slagged off. But imho this is fair game after 29 games and a strange season.

I'll leave in's to the club's experts. Impossible to be accurate, as dozens of other clubs are going for the same targets:

Personally I think we're crying out for pace and a threat, plus a CM with the energy and bite to take on teams offering the same.

Departures:
Bissouma - maximise the cash, his efforts over 6 months have largely been awful. Until the case, he seemed to win every 50:50 and 40:60 for about 18 months.
Duffy - a great character with strengths to his game, but we need to get back to CB's who can play the game, start attacks in a second.
Gross - takeaway the hilarious Cruyff Turns, what tangibly does he deliver?
March - I love the player, but if we're talking a brutal clear out and serious investment, another one to replace.
Welbeck - ditto.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Gross and March, thanks for everything but time to move on.Definitely need another striker as Welbeck is to unreliable.
There's a start.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Well then? Obviously this is all hypothetical, and we're probably going to stick to the mantra of 'evolution, not revolution', however we've actually been worse than last season despite being higher in the table for most of this season, we still can't score, but now we're not creating anywhere near as much and we haven't had the solid defence either. To be honest we could fnd ourselves in major s*** next season if we don't perform some significant surgery on that squad over the summer

Personally I don't think Undav on his own will be enough, so we could do with another forward coming in. Also think we need some added vision in the middle of the park, noticed that John Swift at Reading seems to have an expiring contract this summer, and leads the way for chances created in the championship by some distance for a poor side, so I'd be giving him a call, particularly if Groß doesn't stay. I also think we may sell Trossard, so another wide/attacking midfield player coming in could be necessary, someone like Johnson at Forest, particularly if the club feel that Khadra isn't ready. Not sure we need to replace Bissouma who will probably also go, think we're well stocked in that area, Caicedo can hopefully be the man we need. We could also definitely do with another left footed centre back, and in an ideal world an experienced keeper to help coach Sanchez.

In terms of departures, Trossard and Bissouma are two who I can envisage being sold, and I also think we need to have a clearout of the glut of central midfielders we have who are good with the ball at their feet but have absolutely zero end product. Obviously this all my own layman's opinion, however I do think the recruitment team have their work cut out this summer, that's for sure

I really hope we're not pinning our striker hopes on a prolific striker from the Belgian League which is equivalent to lower/mid table championship level (is he going to be any better than the Swiss striker we signed??) - definitely a big summer ahead for recruitment

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The most created chances of any player in the squad
The most created chances per 90 mins by a considerable margin.

People always say this - but is he really the best we could do? Are we saying that it is unlikely we couldn't find a better player than Gross who could contribute even more?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People always say this - but is he really the best we could do? Are we saying that it is unlikely we couldn't find a better player than Gross who could contribute even more?

Because it's statistically true. I checked.

You are allowed more than one creative player in the team. It doesn't mean you have to get rid of your current-best creative player if you think you could also do even better.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Could see a significant revamp happening this summer. Gross, Welbeck, Biss, Tross, Maupay and Ali Mac all have contracts ending within 18 months and I think at least the first four are going to leave this summer. Duffy and Veltman also only has about a year left and I think the club wouldnt mind selling Duffy if a bid came in. Some loan players might also move permanently.

5-6 players out and then Undav, Khadra, Van Hecke in along with 3-4 signings.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Could see a significant revamp happening this summer. Gross, Welbeck, Biss, Tross, Maupay and Ali Mac all have contracts ending within 18 months and I think at least the first four are going to leave this summer. Duffy and Veltman also only has about a year left and I think the club wouldnt mind selling Duffy if a bid came in. Some loan players might also move permanently.

This, essentially.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Tross & Biss are playing like they have already left. Get what we can.

Solly - bless 'im. Not good enough
Duffy - thanks but ta-ra pet
Gross - too slow

The two over-hyped and over-paid sicknotes

Give the young bench-warmers (Caicedo, Sarmiento, Ferguson et al) an opportunity + Undav, Khadra. Recall Scherpen to provide competition for Big Bob.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The most created chances of any player in the squad
The most created chances per 90 mins by a considerable margin.

Tangibles:

Mac A - 4 goals + 2 assists + 3 big chances created.
Trossard - 4 + 1 + 1.
Moder - 0 + 3 + 5
Gross - 0 + 3 + 4.

In a negative CH team in 2017/18 Gross's stats were 7 + 8 + 16.

He's a shadow of the player in previous seasons.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I don't think that Khadra has the quality to be an automatic choice in next year's squad. Although he is only 20, so still plenty of potential.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
What happens with our army of loan players could end up having a big impact on our squad make up and potential incomings this close season if the club view any of them as part of the plans for the new season.

If I had to guess I'd say we'll probably see quite a few of those on loan moved on, with tidy profits picked up for a few of them. Some are getting to the point where they will want first team minutes and others will be moved on as they aren't going to make it to the desired level. Karbownik, Sima, Ostigard, Clarke, Zeqiri, Andone, Richards & Molumby could potentially all leave permanently.

Some will almost certainly be part of the squad (Undav, Scherpen, Van Hecke) and there are probably 4 players (Connolly, Kozlowski, Mitoma, Khadra) who have about a 50:50 chance of either being part of the squad or being loaned out again.

As for the first team squad I think aside from the obvious with Bissouma we'll probably see Duffy, Lallana and potentially Steele moved on.

Incomings wise- experience back up keeper, centre back, goal scoring midfielder

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I don't think that Khadra has the quality to be an automatic choice in next year's squad. Although he is only 20, so still plenty of potential.

yeah, even mowbray said he had some significant things to work on, and from watching him recently that seems a fair observation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here