Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There are positives in that some of the young players look very good indeed - Orr, Haines, Alsop, Carter. Ali Orr in particular is a revelation - it’s rare to find someone who can smash it about for T20 and be able to play the patient long form game too. The bowling is now the biggest concern - I’m not convinced many of them are worth keeping. Crocombe, Hunt, Atkins are nearly men. Archie deserves more time but Has lost his confidence. Who knows with Robinson, Garton and Archer. We may have seen the best of all 3. I don’t think Finn is as bad as some say, but he’s not going to get fivefers.

There lays the problem. If Archer and Robinson were bowling then we wouldn't be concerned. But once they go to England there is no depth to replace them. This is because Sussex don't have the resources. And if a player is good in one of the formats those vultures north of Gatwick hop in their Bentleys and trundle down the 23...

As for the Championship, it was often topped by a team who had players who were strong on the county circuit but not quite good enough for England. Add to that a couple of undistracted overseas old pros. Leicestershire and Glamorgan were good examples in the 90s. And, of course, Sussex may have been the best example shortly after.

But now, with all the formats, it's changing and some teams may struggle to keep up. It's a long way back for Sussex. But my worry is it's a long way back for cricket.

I don't usually get phased by much. Life is too short. But I'm really bitter about what has happened to cricket because, for me, it's the greatest game on earth. And a lot of my social history is woven with it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They really should reconsider the outgrounds although the way that the ECB have messed around with the cricket calendar does not help. In the old days you would have a championship game and a Sunday game to make it worthwhile.

I used to love a trip to Horsham, Arundel and even Eastbourne - much more than to the County Ground. Usually a great atmosphere, easy parking, nice walk into town for lunch and also, the players seemed to like walking around the ground talking to people.

Since all of the parking restrictions came in, driving to games at Hove for those who don't live nearby is now a real pain. For the evening T20 games, the train is only an option for a few as there are not great options to get back to most parts of the County at that time of night.

Doubt if I'll make it to Hove this year - however, I plan to be at Lords for a day of the championship game in a couple of weeks time.

Horsham was great for a runfest. Best wicket I have ever played on. High respect, given that I was bowler in a graveyard. I think our [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] saw a match at Worthing if I recall previous conversations. That was the opposite.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Horsham was great for a runfest. Best wicket I have ever played on. High respect, given that I was bowler in a graveyard. I think our [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] saw a match at Worthing if I recall previous conversations. That was the opposite.

Sorry, not Horsham - Polegate on a Sunday friendly match in the late fifties, and Eastbourne vs. Hampshire (at The Saffrons, which was discontinued as a county ground because of the pitch (504 for 40 in that match in 1958), and they decided the pitch wasn't up to much!).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There has been a decision to remain at Hove and not go around the out grounds. Again I know a fair amount of the politics around this but they have cut themselves off from a huge amount of supporters and sponsorship by doing this. They priced themselves out of Horsham by pure greed.

They lost an eye-watering amount of money the last time they played a CC match at Horsham (I can't remember the amount but I think it was something close to six figures. Sussex just can't afford losses like that - sad as it is. I loved attending games at Arundel, Horsham, Eastbourne and Hastings but they're just not viable these days

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They lost an eye-watering amount of money the last time they played a CC match at Horsham (I can't remember the amount but I think it was something close to six figures. Sussex just can't afford losses like that - sad as it is. I loved attending games at Arundel, Horsham, Eastbourne and Hastings but they're just not viable these days

I’ve been privy to the costs. There’s a huge failure on Sussex’s side.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Will Beer to leave Sussex after tomorrow's match versus Hants. Leading T20 wicket taker in his 15 years at the club - 106 wickets in 135 matches. Hopes to play professional cricket again next year, but looking at a career in financial services.

Leaves Luke Wright as the sole remaining player from the golden era of Sussex CCC

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Lovely evening here at the ground.
Shame about the cricket.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lovely evening here at the ground.
Shame about the cricket.
Yes, going down gently as usual...ah well, soon be " The Hundred" at least the agony will be over quicker.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I get the impression that Sussex CCC just perform a function of being nominal " opposition " much in the way that Crystal Palace basketball team were wheeled out against The Harlem Globetrotters. We are just there to make the opposition look good.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the firsts played the seconds both would lose

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Another awful shot by Delray. LBW. How can he make so many wrong decisions?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like a reasonable total, can we defend it though?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
SC Cricket ground would make a nice childrens park and playground.

A complete waste of a valuable area, for a shit cricket club, that is only going in one direction.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hants batting like Sussex

Edit: no, no one’s as bad as us

7 balls for Beer in his last game for us

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hants batting like Sussex