Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] how to get to Kings Cross from Lewes by train as underground on strike tomorrow

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Go to Brighton then Thameslink surely?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Go to Hayward’s Heath and take the Thameslink to St Pancras. Kings Cross is just over the road.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thameslink to St Pancras International and walk to Kings Cross

Yup. Lewes to Haywards Heath, change onto a Thameslink and got to SPI where you can walk underground to Kings Cross. Network Rail app would have told you the same.

What are the scummy tube drivers striking for this time? Is it more money again? After all, the country is probably back to normal for a few weeks before World War Three so might as well get in there while the iron's hot. Those retirement trips to Barbados won't pay for themselves :rolleyes:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yup. Lewes to Haywards Heath, change onto a Thameslink and got to SPI where you can walk underground to Kings Cross. Network Rail app would have told you the same.

What are the scummy tube drivers striking for this time? Is it more money again? After all, the country is probably back to normal for a few weeks before World War Three so might as well get in there while the iron's hot. Those retirement trips to Barbados won't pay for themselves :rolleyes:

Sorry to disappoint you, it’s not just us vermin drivers, it’s an all grades industrial action, track, signals, station staff, engineering staff and of course scum drivers. It’s not money ( that’s sorted, you are going to shat the bed when you find out what we are getting) it’s job cuts, over 600 in total. You hurt one, you hurt us all. Now I know a working class lad like you will understand…surely?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just a small FACT CHECK on the "job cuts" mentioned above.

There are no redundancies. Only 250 open roles closed and people not being replaced when they leave.

You know, just the normal stuff that goes on in any large organisation in the real world without the members walking out.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Go to Hayward’s Heath and take the Thameslink to St Pancras. Kings Cross is just over the road.

Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross are all easily walkable to and from each other, especially via the green route which avoids the pollution walking along the Euston Road and takes in views of the British Library, Thomas Crick Institute. So if you have to travel from Brighton to Birmingham, or beyond, being crammed onto the Victoria Line isn't the only option ( when it is running..)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What is the route by train thanks

As someone who generally avoids the tube (pandemic or not), I'd take the advice above and cut it out always.

You can technically get round to Euston via Clapham Junction on the overland, but that is one station to avoid on a tube strike.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As someone who generally avoids the tube (pandemic or not), I'd take the advice above and cut it out always.

You can technically get round to Euston via Clapham Junction on the overland, but that is one station to avoid on a tube strike.

It's a 10 minute walk from St Pancras. Probably far quicker to do that than try and work your way around on the overground.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a 10 minute walk from St Pancras. Probably far quicker to do that than try and work your way around on the overground.

Yes I know. I live here. It's more like 5.

I was just warning people about Clapham Junction on a tube strike day.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm interested for those coming up from Brighton to London are you jump on the tube people or do you utilise the urban trains ?

I know they can be a bit of a mystery in any city, but Clapham Junction is incredibly well connected. Direct trains to Victoria (obviously), but also Waterloo.

I remember having a debate on here about getting to Brentford's new ground from Brighton, which is near where I used to work. I wouldn't even consider the tube. I get a fast train to Richmond from CJ and cut back in two stops to Gunnersbury. Preferably on the overland or the (very overground) District. In most cases, especially a Saturday - you are going in the opposite direction to most others and you avoid the crowds.

The mystery to me is why they have never added an extra stop at Balham (from the south) which would connect you to the Northern Line.

Very a much a train fan in London. Often as convenient as the tube, the stations are nicer, have shops and you can look out the window.

Clapham Junction does have one bizarre feature though. 17 platforms, 430,000 passengers per day and only two toilet cubicles.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm interested for those coming up from Brighton to London are you jump on the tube people or do you utilise the urban trains ?

I know they can be a bit of a mystery in any city, but Clapham Junction is incredibly well connected. Direct trains to Victoria (obviously), but also Waterloo.

I remember having a debate on here about getting to Brentford's new ground from Brighton, which is near where I used to work. I wouldn't even consider the tube. I get a fast train to Richmond from CJ and cut back in two stops to Gunnersbury. Preferably on the overland or the (very overground) District. In most cases, especially a Saturday - you are going in the opposite direction to most others and you avoid the crowds.

The mystery to me is why they have never added an extra stop at Balham (from the south) which would connect you to the Northern Line.

Very a much a train fan in London. Often as convenient as the tube, the stations are nicer, have shops and you can look out the window.

Clapham Junction does have one bizarre feature though. 17 platforms, 430,000 passengers per day and only two toilet cubicles.

To add an extra stop in at Balham you’d reduce the number of services on the line, it also doesn’t provide a massively huge journey opportunity, as if travelling locally, all local services stop and if travelling from the coast the same northern line journey opportunities are available from London Bridge (albeit not at the moment)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To add an extra stop in at Balham you’d reduce the number of services on the line, it also doesn’t provide a massively huge journey opportunity, as if travelling locally, all local services stop and if travelling from the coast the same northern line journey opportunities are available from London Bridge (albeit not at the moment)

I respectively disagree, but then I would. Locals have been asking for it for years.

It's REALLY ANNOYING if you want to go to Brighton / Gatwick, you have to go up to Clapham Junction only to pass back through the station YOU'VE JUST COME FROM.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here