Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Parenting in pubs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just about the worst example I've ever seen this afternoon.

I got there about 10 to 4 for the Carbao Cup Final, me and a mate meeting up for the game. A very bored little girl, looked about 6, was laid out on one of the sofas. A younger brother, looked about 4, equally bored, romping around trying to be controlled by dad. The mum is there, with a baby over her shoulder, around a year old.

The game starts, and lets say its very 'lively' in there. The volume is pumped right up, there's (natch) a barful of total plastics hollering at every incident. The little girl by now is laid down, on her back covering her ears, mouthing something to herself. She did this for probably about half an hour. Dad has by now got the small baby at the bar. He is shouting - SHOUTING at the top of his voice at anything thats going on on the telly. Now mum is whirling arms around, "LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL". Kids left to their own devices, aside from the baby. It was genuinely deafening in there, I actually wished I hadn't bothered.

They stayed till the bitter end. ET and pens, getting louder and louder. Those poor kids - they were there before I arrived at 4pm, and they were still stuck there when I left at 8 after the pens with a pair of half-cut parents. Now I'm not saying I never took my two down the pub of a Sunday afternoon when they were little, but it was usually when the dinner was in the oven to get back for, certainly not for a 3-4 hour bender in front of the football.

I'm not one to be "judgy", but the conversation in the gents with a couple of blokes was "WTF are those two doing ?", so it was very much being noticed. I was tempted to mutter "great parenting" on my way out, but what would be the point ? I'd only have got a gobfull, maybe a headbutt.

I don't think I've ever seen a more selfish example of woeful parenting. I'm left feeling annoyed I didn't say or do anything...but I just can't see what it would have achieved.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021

I got there about 10 to 4 for the Carbao Cup Final, me and a mate meeting up for the game. A very bored little girl, looked about 6, was laid out on one of the sofas. A younger brother, looked about 4, equally bored, romping around trying to be controlled by dad. The the mum is there, with a baby over her shoulder, around a year old.

The game starts, and lets say its very 'lively' in there. The volume is pumped right up, there's (natch) a barful of total plastics hollering at every incident. The little girl by now is laid down, on her back covering her ears, mouthing something to herself. She did this for probably about half an hour. Dad has by now got the small baby at the bar. He is shouting - SHOUTING at the top of his voice at anything thats going on on the telly. Now mum is whirling arms around, "LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL". Kids left to their own devices, aside from the baby. It was genuinely deafening in there, I actually wished I hadn't bothered.

They stayed till the bitter end. ET and pens, getting louder and louder. Those poor kids - they were there before I arrived at 4pm, and they were still stuck there when I left at 8 after the pens with a pair of half-cut parents. Now I'm not saying I never took my two down the pub of a Sunday afternoon when they were little, but it was usually when the dinner was in the oven to get back for, certainly not for a 3-4 hour bender in front of the football.

I'm not one to be "judgy", but the conversation in the gents with a couple of blokes was "WTF are those two doing ?", so it was very much being noticed. I was tempted to mutter "great parenting" on my way out, but what would be the point ? I'd only have got a gobfull, maybe a headbutt.

I don't think I've ever seen a more selfish example of woeful parenting. I'm left feeling annoyed I didn't say or do anything...but I just can't see what it would have achieved.
Name that pub

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kids shouldn’t be in pubs. Adults need a space away from children. Theirs or other people’s.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pub should be doing more to manage that.

If I could identify them probably stick a call into social services to [emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I got there about 10 to 4 for the Carbao Cup Final, me and a mate meeting up for the game. A very bored little girl, looked about 6, was laid out on one of the sofas. A younger brother, looked about 4, equally bored, romping around trying to be controlled by dad. The mum is there, with a baby over her shoulder, around a year old.

If that's where you normally drink then:

a) they should be raising Brighton fans
b) I'm not totally surprised they are not as I suspect they have an IQ that's slightly lower than the ABV of the lager they were drinking and
c) before anyone accuses me of snobbery for b) I've probably seen just as bad parenting in The Railway, but since it would involve prosecco, dungarees and vegan main courses most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am not against family pubs with sport but this is the reason I do not go in them.
So, is it time to bring back the geezers pub?
Good selection of drinks.
Sport.
Strippers.
Roast potatoes on the bar.
Pickled eggs to pop in your bag of cheese and onion.
Topless barmaids.
Proper, covered/heated smoking area.
Ladies are allowed of course (if they don't mind looking at clunge)
NO KIDS (obviously)
Why can't a bloke have a man cave after a hard weeks graft.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I am not against family pubs with sport but this is the reason I do not go in them.
So, is it time to bring back the geezers pub?
Good selection of drinks.
Sport.
Strippers.
Roast potatoes on the bar.
Pickled eggs to pop in your bag of cheese and onion.
Topless barmaids.
Proper, covered/heated smoking area.
Ladies are allowed of course (if they don't mind looking at clunge)
NO KIDS (obviously)
Why can't a bloke have a man cave after a hard weeks graft.

I know a few pubs in Bromley town centre that could oblige.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worst pubs I ever experienced for all that were:

Swiss Cottage, Shoreham - what a dump. One big uncontrollable kids playground IN the pub. Not my choice, the in-laws sometimes chose it for b’day ‘meals’.

Abergavenny Arms, Rodmell - weekend daytimes, full of scum and their offspring running amok.

Ineffectual management.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in a craft beer bar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

England has never been a 'child loving' society. When I lived in Canada if that had happened the police would have been called. Not least because you have to be 21 to get into a pub there.

Incidentally, why did nobody call the police? I think it is because we tolerate chavs too easily in this country.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Almost certainly Brexiteers.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
England has never been a 'child loving' society.

Sorry, what?! :facepalm: I've lived in a range of countries and now back in England. Never once thought that, far from it. I think here perhaps we're not as good at intervening as some other countries overall (more reserved), but to say we're not a child loving society is ridiculous

Those parents, though. Christ. :shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Unwritten rule down the pub is 3 pints Max - 2 as a general rule - if you've got kids and be out of dodge before 7pm. If the kids are a pain in the arse, it's time to leave.

Anyone that let's their kid play on a tablet or whatever with the volume on full is fair game for execution.

On the flip side, anyone going to Pizza Express on a Saturday at 17.00 and complains about the number of kids in said restaurant is as thick as the parents in the opening post.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some parenting in general isn’t great, a lot of people these days simply use devices to babysit their children. It’s not everyone but it’s creating some really bad mannered children.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Serves you right for going to a pub with Liverpool v Chelsea showing on tv :lolol:
Plastic Liverpool fans are the worst type of t***s

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Worst pubs I ever experienced for all that were:

Swiss Cottage, Shoreham - what a dump. One big uncontrollable kids playground IN the pub. Not my choice, the in-laws sometimes chose it for b’day ‘meals’.

Abergavenny Arms, Rodmell - weekend daytimes, full of scum and their offspring running amok.

Ineffectual management.

Swiss Cottage, dreadful pub. Luckily it keeps the riff raff out of the decent pubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, what?! :facepalm: I've lived in a range of countries and now back in England. Never once thought that, far from it. I think here perhaps we're not as good at intervening as some other countries overall (more reserved), but to say we're not a child loving society is ridiculous

Those parents, though. Christ. :shrug:

It is an expression introduced to me by a friend 30 odd years ago, when I remarked on the completely different way the locals treated children in Vancouver compared with what I'd left behind in London. Never smacking them. Always explaining. It was brought home to me when I came back home in 86, watching mothers screaming at their kids and slapping them in supermarkets while nobody batted an eyelid; one monther dangling her toddler on his reigns and kicking him (in a desultory fashion, not hard) on the street. Things have improved hugely here in 30 years, but we Brits were always about 'seen and not heard'. That is not the doctrine of a child loving society. That's how kids get taken down the pub and ignored while the parents get pissed, and nobody says anything.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Serves you right for going to a pub with Liverpool v Chelsea showing on tv :lolol:
Plastic Liverpool fans are the worst type of t***s

Luckily there are none in the Brighton and Hove area, because we are a proper footballing city. So I'm told :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here