Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dan Burn interview in Newcastle publication

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/its-going-to-completely-change-my-life-dan-burn-interview/

'It's going to completely change my life' - Dan Burn interview

BDB interview in the Newcastle publication UNITED.

At that stage some still felt his sheer size masked some less refined attributes but Brighton changed Burn's career trajectory again. He stepped up to the Premier League to join the Seagulls, initially as cover, in 2018 and Graham Potter's arrival as head coach a year later sparked something.

"I think that people don't realise, in and around the environment, that I'm better than what they think," he says, with conviction. "I think people have got this preconception of me, just because of the way I move about, that I'm this certain type of player. But I feel as if I'm better than that, so I'll back myself no matter who I play against. I knew when I got there that I could force my way in, but I don't think it was until Potter came in that I really saw that – and believed it."

Potter, a defender in his day and a man familiar with the lower-league landscape which moulded Burn, pushed him out of his comfort zone. He played him at centre half, left back and even left wing-back in a progressive and stylish team. Burn thrived despite some doubting his suitability, primarily because of his ungainly frame.

Was that frustrating? "A little bit, but I always like being the underdog anyway. I can see that people, when I play against them, they eye me up as if to say they think they're going to have me. I love it when I feel as if I've got the better of them. Obviously, there are times where with the quality of the Premier League, you're going to get done the odd game. But I like to think that when you play against me, you don't get an easy game."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Unless he is unnecessarily disparaging towards our club and city, I'll always have a soft spot for BDB. Always worked and tried hard for us and that's all you can ask for as a fan. The fact that he was outstanding in many a game was a nice bonus.

I've got a mate who's a Wolves fan who reckons he is the worst player in the EPL. I had to explain that it's probably fair to say he's had 3 or 4 of his worst games against Wolves, so not surprised he concluded as much. But he is wrong. Very wrong.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looks and sounds just the sort of target for Smug Eddie to bully and leave out the team. I don't know why, but Glenn Murray springs to mind.

kjgood

Well I wish him the very best of luck except against us of course. Why wouldn't he have gone home with a cut of the transfer fee and a potentially large pay rise, and he gets to play in a bigger stadium with more fans in his home area. I haven't read anything where he's ran us down, hes acted really well through the transfer period from what I can see. A good lad and good luck BDB.

Stumpy Tim

I've got a mate who's a Wolves fan who reckons he is the worst player in the EPL. I had to explain that it's probably fair to say he's had 3 or 4 of his worst games against Wolves, so not surprised he concluded as much. But he is wrong. Very wrong.

Traore murdered him on more than one occasion , so can see their point. As Potter said, he was Burn's Kryptonite

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As I mentioned in another thread, it's interesting to compare the 2 Dans who left us within a couple of weeks, both heading for the same club.

From both the club and the majority of the fans, one leaves with our best wishes and the other is 'feck off you mercenary'. Me included.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
As I mentioned in another thread, it's interesting to compare the 2 Dans who left us within a couple of weeks, both heading for the same club.

From both the club and the majority of the fans, one leaves with our best wishes and the other is 'feck off you mercenary'. Me included.

BDB just seems a nice chap, and it’s hard to read that and begrudge him his dream move. Very different motivations to Ashworth though…

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BDB just seems a nice chap, and it’s hard to read that and begrudge him his dream move. Very different motivations to Ashworth though…

Yep. If the Saudis had bought literally any other club, Burn wouldn’t have left us. Ashworth, however, would probably have gone almost anywhere to work for them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep. If the Saudis had bought literally any other club, Burn wouldn’t have left us. Ashworth, however, would probably have gone almost anywhere to work for them.

Loyalty is not one of his best attributes so we shouldn’t be vaguely surprised, Ashworth that is not BDB

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Hope Smug Eddie gives him a chance. Made his decision to play for his team, and fair play to him.
Fear that he will be left out next season.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Just listened to Dan in sky talking about being a fan, I feel really happy for him.
I don’t think in all the years I’ve been following BHA I’ve heard any player talk like that perhaps apart from Harty.
Don’t we have the same level of passion in our players?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just listened to Dan in sky talking about being a fan, I feel really happy for him.
I don’t think in all the years I’ve been following BHA I’ve heard any player talk like that perhaps apart from Harty.
Don’t we have the same level of passion in our players?

I know a couple of players who were at the Albion who were proper fans but were let go. They still go now when they can. But on the whole not many youngs kids supported Brighton like that. Obviously that will change now going forward if we bring through some more local players again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here