Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do we replace BDB?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“But he hasn’t even gone yet and is probably staying!”.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...on-and-eddie-nketiah-arsenal-in-transfer-push

Perhaps?

We all hope he stays but this is a purely hypothetical thread about what we’ll do without him. There is another thread on whether he’ll leave or not if you want to discuss that.

So ………

I think Potter will want a left footer playing quite regularly in his place. There are four options.

1. Give the vastly inexperienced Roberts the minutes, probably in a back 3 with Dunk by his side.

2. Move Cucu into the back 3 with March as LWB.

3. Recall Clarke from West Brom. He is good on the ball, left footed and has played a lot of games this season.

4. Try and sign someone else (such as Senesi) this weekend.

My expectation is that we’ll play Webbo and Dunk as part of a back 4 for most of the time, with Duffy or Veltman filling in if needed. When Potter goes to 3 at the back, I think he’ll pick option 2. and move Cucu alongside Dunk. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a left footed player at LCB in a back 4 for the rest of this season.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
“But he hasn’t even gone yet and is probably staying!”.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...on-and-eddie-nketiah-arsenal-in-transfer-push

Perhaps?

We all hope he stays but this is a purely hypothetical thread about what we’ll do without him. There is another thread on whether he’ll leave or not if you want to discuss that.

So ………

I think Potter will want a left footer playing quite regularly in his place. There are four options.

1. Give the vastly inexperienced Roberts the minutes, probably in a back 3 with Dunk by his side.

2. Move Cucu into the back 3 with March as LWB.

3. Recall Clarke from West Brom. He is good on the ball, left footed and has played a lot of games this season.

4. Try and sign someone else (such as Senesi) this weekend.

My expectation is that we’ll play Webbo and Dunk as part of a back 4 for most of the time, with Duffy or Veltman filling in if needed. When Potter goes to 3 at the back, I think he’ll pick option 2. and move Cucu alongside Dunk. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a left footed player at LCB in a back 4 for the rest of this season.

Talk of a loan in for Joe Rodon (sp )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Talk of a loan in for Joe Rodon (sp )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't do loans in the PL.

Not seem West Brom, but if Clarke is half decent, then I'd think we'll recall him - if we have that option.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's all about future proofing. We have a collection of CB's all at a similar age so we need to prepare for a time when they retire and we have a wealth of potential superstars waiting. Creating an opportunity to grow such a talent for our squad saves us £20m in recruitment costs or developing one that a top side wishes to purchase brings us £50m.

Players such as Ostigard, Van Hecke, Roberts, Tsoungi need to be given opportunities to develop and keeping them here/recalling them for the odd 15 minute cameos isn't the greatest plan.

I think we would continue with Dunk, Webster, Veltman & Duffy plus throw in a novice if we got stretched so thinly & add Clarke to this group in the summer but personally 4 CB's should be enough as rotation doesn't really impact them in the same way as CM's. Sanchez was given a chance and grabbed it so we shouldn't be afraid to give players a chance alongside such experienced professionals.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sellotape Dunk and Duffy together lengthways and hey presto, an instant BDD. As long as the join is seamless, the officials hopefully won’t notice we’ve got 12 players on the pitch. Bjorn and Benny can unstick them post-match, or GraPott can just soak them in a warm bath..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Easy

burn-lamptey.jpgkjell-lamptey.jpg

Sorted :thumbsup:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
2. Seems like an awful option. One of Cucurella’s best attributes is his energy and non stop running, which you’d lose if he was in a back three. Also is he good enough in the air to be in a back three?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We know Webster can play LCB perfectly well, so we can get by with him plus Veltman, Dunk and Duffy. I'm sure Roberts could play in a back three with two of them if requiredm but I think his development would be better served by a loan.Presumably his Sheffield Wednesday loan has been put on hold in case GP thinks he'll need him if BDB goes.
A better plan would be to recall Clarke - two and a half solid years of Championship experience behind him - there would be no need to hold Roberts back then. It may be significant that he was dropped from the WBA team's last match, having been a regular all season up to now.

IMHO We need to insist the Head Hunters fork up £15M to make it happen though.

Edit: re Clarke: as you were - starting for West Brom. today.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
2. Seems like an awful option. One of Cucurella’s best attributes is his energy and non stop running, which you’d lose if he was in a back three. Also is he good enough in the air to be in a back three?

I’ve been trying to recall the recent game Potter used this method. It worked pretty well but I think he has only tried it once.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not that fussed if we play a back four. A natural left footed CB on the left of a two is nice to have, but far from essential. Who was the last first choice CB we had who was left footed? Matt Upson?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Much as I’ve been a Burn fan since his outrageous bit of skill that got a high 5 from Aguero, he’s not exactly a first-name-on-the-team-sheet player, is he? In a back 4 it’s obviously Dunk and Webster as first choice, and in a back 3 is Dunk, Webster plus one of Veltman, Duffy or Burn depending on the opposition.

With the versatility, I’m sure we can survive the next 16 games wihtout rushing to buy a replacement or recalling a loaner to sit on yeh bench for 16 games.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Much as I’ve been a Burn fan since his outrageous bit of skill that got a high 5 from Aguero, he’s not exactly a first-name-on-the-team-sheet player, is he? In a back 4 it’s obviously Dunk and Webster as first choice, and in a back 3 is Dunk, Webster plus one of Veltman, Duffy or Burn depending on the opposition.

With the versatility, I’m sure we can survive the next 16 games wihtout rushing to buy a replacement or recalling a loaner to sit on yeh bench for 16 games.

Very much this. Burn isn’t really a substantial loss. He’s only played so much this year due to a ridiculous year for injuries in our back line.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No problem Back 3 Veltman Dunk Webster Back 4 Lamptey Dunk Webster Cucurella. This would be first choice even if Burn . Sure Burn knows this which will be one of reasons to agree the move if a price is agreed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Have you not watched the last 5 games or so... play him as a centre back and he has shone and personally i don't see Dunk or Duffy unseating him on his current form. If the club needs the money then so be it but I think it does conflict with our ambition as a top 10 team as they we certainly have played better better, faster, flowing football with him there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here