Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Something's contagious on this thread

It wouldn't be southwick, would it ?

I once got taken to some sort of Thai place upstairs somewhere in southwick square about 10-15 years ago and it was excellent. The food was edible and the company brilliant, it's probably why I don't contribute to this thread much.

I remember contributing to 'My Favourite Restaurant ever' some years ago and the food at mine was probably passable :wink:

I'll be off now :bigwave:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Re Southwick: Plaice on the Square is good, as is the weird little micropub, for the odd one. Also Ali Baba do very good bog standard kebabs. Their chilli sauce doesn't disappoint.

Also the butchers is excellent.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lomito, Northwood aka The Argentinian

Regular readers of this thread may recall the debate chez Goldstone about whether we took my mother’s friend Joan and the GLDHI’s mother to The Italian or to The Argentinian.

I tried to book The Argentinian for last Friday for all five of us (I figured that seeking forgiveness was more productive than seeking permission)
“I can give you a table between 6 and 8 downstairs”
“That’s like 25 steps, right”
“Yes”
“I’ll get back to you” There’s no way my mother would cope
Needless to say, I gave it a swerve.

Instead, on Friday night, the GLDHI cooked spag bol

FFS (but she’s a sweetheart)

I booked The Argentinian for tonight for my mum, Joan, the GLDHI, and me; having run the GLDHI’s mother home on Monday.

On Monday evening:

Joan: “I much prefer lamb to beef”

Later… G1976 to GLDHI: F**k; I’ve booked “The Argentinian
“Yep”
“I’ll check the menu”

Scroll forward to Tues evening…

“Joan, we clocked that you said that you prefer lamb to beef. The Argentinian does Lamb Cutlets. Ok?
“Lovely”

And so to tonight…

We had to order two Ubers (they can only take three people). I was in the second car, alone.

On entering, I see the three women sat around the big table in the window and join them.

“Look at the lovely table they’ve given us” says Mum
“Why do you think they did that?” say I, gesturing at the near empty restaurant (it being no longer in the run up to Valentine’s Day)
“Hmm. Well, it was still lovely of them”

We order: cheese empanadas, gambas x 2, salmon ceviche; 3 x ribeye, 1 sirloin; margaritas, Malbec.

“Did you see the lamb cutlets, Joan?”
“Yes. I wanted steak”
“You know steak is beef, right?”
“Yes”
“Only I thought you preferred lamb to steak”
“I do”
“So why didn’t you order lamb?”
“Goldstone…”

The drinks arrive

“I can’t really see the text on my TV” says Joan, “I think my eyesight is going”
“And your hearing…?”
“Sorry?”
The GLDHI snorts
“What did he say?” asks Joan
“He said”, continues the GLDHI, “and your hearing?”
“Sorry?”
“I said ‘how’s your empanadas?’”
“Stop it. I’ll wee myself” said the GLDHI
“Again? I’d better call the DULLARD”
“Goldstone…”

“Do you like cruzzon?” asked my mother of Joan
“”Cruzzon?”
“She means croissants”
“Oh. Why are you asking me about croissants?” asked Joan
“It’s what she does” I say
“You shouldn’t be rude about your mother”, says Joan
“Sorry?” asks Mum

Joan never answered the question.

The food arrives. It’s fine-ish. Although the humitas is good.

“Can you cook my steak some more please” asks Joan
“Yes, of course, but it’ll then be medium well”
“Ok”
“And you asked for medium rare…”
“Yes”
“You’d like it cooked more?”
Yes, please”
“Certainly madam” with a little eye roll

“Joan, tell the GLDHI the story about the man you know. You know, the sad story” says Mum
“No. It’s too sad”
“Ok. I will”
“Mum. No.” Say I
“No?”
“No”
“Ok. Do you like cruzzon, Joan?”
“Does she always talk about cruzzon, I mean croissants?” Joan asks me
“You shouldn’t be rude about my mother” I say.
“She’s not my family. It’s different”
“Snort” says the GLDHI
“That’s going in the review”
“Review?” says Joan. “I hope you don’t say anything about me”
“No, he won’t” says the GLDHI
“Yes, I probably will” I say
“Goldstone…”

“Would you like a pudding?” asks the waiter
“No thanks” say the GLDHI and I
“Would you like some cheerios?” asks mum of Joan
“Cheerios?”
“Yes, long doughnuts”
“Oh. Churros” says Joan
“That’s what I said” said mum
“Nearly” I said
“Sorry?” say Mum and Joan
“Snigger” says the GLDHI

“How big are the churros?” asks Joan
“About the width of my finger” I reply, holding up my index finger
“Put that away. I don’t know where that’s been” says Joan
“??!!” says the GLDHI
Joan winks
“Sorry?” says mum.

We return home.

Lomito is ok. Not as much fun as Joan though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Lomito, Northwood aka The Argentinian

Regular readers of this thread may recall the debate chez Goldstone about whether we took my mother’s friend Joan and the GLDHI’s mother to The Italian or to The Argentinian.

I tried to book The Argentinian for last Friday for all five of us (I figured that seeking forgiveness was more productive than seeking permission)
“I can give you a table between 6 and 8 downstairs”
“That’s like 25 steps, right”
“Yes”
“I’ll get back to you” There’s no way my mother would cope
Needless to say, I gave it a swerve.

Instead, on Friday night, the GLDHI cooked spag bol

FFS (but she’s a sweetheart)

I booked The Argentinian for tonight for my mum, Joan, the GLDHI, and me; having run the GLDHI’s mother home on Monday.

On Monday evening:

Joan: “I much prefer lamb to beef”

Later… G1976 to GLDHI: F**k; I’ve booked “The Argentinian
“Yep”
“I’ll check the menu”

Scroll forward to Tues evening…

“Joan, we clocked that you said that you prefer lamb to beef. The Argentinian does Lamb Cutlets. Ok?
“Lovely”

And so to tonight…

We had to order two Ubers (they can only take three people). I was in the second car, alone.

On entering, I see the three women sat around the big table in the window and join them.

“Look at the lovely table they’ve given us” says Mum
“Why do you think they did that?” say I, gesturing at the near empty restaurant (it being no longer in the run up to Valentine’s Day)
“Hmm. Well, it was still lovely of them”

We order: cheese empanadas, gambas x 2, salmon ceviche; 3 x ribeye, 1 sirloin; margaritas, Malbec.

“Did you see the lamb cutlets, Joan?”
“Yes. I wanted steak”
“You know steak is beef, right?”
“Yes”
“Only I thought you preferred lamb to steak”
“I do”
“So why didn’t you order lamb?”
“Goldstone…”

The drinks arrive

“I can’t really see the text on my TV” says Joan, “I think my eyesight is going”
“And your hearing…?”
“Sorry?”
The GLDHI snorts
“What did he say?” asks Joan
“He said”, continues the GLDHI, “and your hearing?”
“Sorry?”
“I said ‘how’s your empanadas?’”
“Stop it. I’ll wee myself” said the GLDHI
“Again? I’d better call the DULLARD”
“Goldstone…”

“Do you like cruzzon?” asked my mother of Joan
“”Cruzzon?”
“She means croissants”
“Oh. Why are you asking me about croissants?” asked Joan
“It’s what she does” I say
“You shouldn’t be rude about your mother”, says Joan
“Sorry?” asks Mum

Joan never answered the question.

The food arrives. It’s fine-ish. Although the humitas is good.

“Can you cook my steak some more please” asks Joan
“Yes, of course, but it’ll then be medium well”
“Ok”
“And you asked for medium rare…”
“Yes”
“You’d like it cooked more?”
Yes, please”
“Certainly madam” with a little eye roll

“Joan, tell the GLDHI the story about the man you know. You know, the sad story” says Mum
“No. It’s too sad”
“Ok. I will”
“Mum. No.” Say I
“No?”
“No”
“Ok. Do you like cruzzon, Joan?”
“Does she always talk about cruzzon, I mean croissants?” Joan asks me
“You shouldn’t be rude about my mother” I say.
“She’s not my family. It’s different”
“Snort” says the GLDHI
“That’s going in the review”
“Review?” says Joan. “I hope you don’t say anything about me”
“No, he won’t” says the GLDHI
“Yes, I probably will” I say
“Goldstone…”

“Would you like a pudding?” asks the waiter
“No thanks” say the GLDHI and I
“Would you like some cheerios?” asks mum of Joan
“Cheerios?”
“Yes, long doughnuts”
“Oh. Churros” says Joan
“That’s what I said” said mum
“Nearly” I said
“Sorry?” say Mum and Joan
“Snigger” says the GLDHI

“How big are the churros?” asks Joan
“About the width of my finger” I reply, holding up my index finger
“Put that away. I don’t know where that’s been” says Joan
“??!!” says the GLDHI
Joan winks
“Sorry?” says mum.

We return home.

Lomito is ok. Not as much fun as Joan though.

Is Joan available for parties? A double act of Joan and your mum would certainly liven up some of mine. :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Op

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ivy in the Lanes

Went here around two plus years ago, this visit was really more to satisfy Mrs Hut than me as was not overly impressed previous visit first impression talk about packing them in the people on the table, on a long settee next to us had to reluctantly move their shopping bags.

Starters Mrs Hut Smoked Salmon, moi Salt and Peppar Squid. Smoked Salmon declared very nice, Squid stuffed in a tightly curled cloth napkin wedged in a pot, pretentious or what and begs the question why as towards to bottom of the napkin all squigy etc but not bad.

Mains - both had Minute Steak and a side of broccoli. To be fair cooked to order and perfectly acceptable as was the vegetables all washed down with the cheapest Spanish Red of which the waiter declared snootily "having the house red are we?".

The staff seem to put on a snobbish accent and when I last went @HerrTubthumber did declare in his opinion pre-visit it looked all fur and no knickers, he is right totally OTT for what it is plus 12.5% service charge added to the bill.

At least two more plus years till another visit as loads of restaurants far superior for that type of money.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ivy in the Lanes

Went here around two plus years ago, this visit was really more to satisfy Mrs Hut than me as was not overly impressed previous visit first impression talk about packing them in the people on the table, on a long settee next to us had to reluctantly move their shopping bags.

Starters Mrs Hut Smoked Salmon, moi Salt and Peppar Squid. Smoked Salmon declared very nice, Squick stuffed in a tightly curled napkin wedged in a pot, pretentious or what and begs the question why as towards to bottom of the napkin all squigy etc but not bad.

Mains - both had Minute Steak and a side of broccoli. To be fair cooked to order and perfectly acceptable as was the vegetables all washed down with the cheapest Spanish Red of which the waiter declared snootily "having the house red are we?".

The staff seem to put on a snobbish accent and when I last went Herr Tubthumber did declare in his opinion pre-visit it looked all fur and no knickers, he is right totally OTT for what it is plus 12.5% service charge added to the bill.

At least two more plus years till another visit as loads of restaurants far superior for that type of money.

:thumbsup:

Moral of this story is Happy Wife, happy life!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
:thumbsup:

Moral of this story is Happy Wife, happy life!

Indeed, we are off to York pre-Toon visit and Mrs Hut said shall we go to the Ivy in York, withered look from me and compromised with booking Cote Brasserie

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A planned meet up with a friend in Shoreham was placed in peril as the winds swept in. He coming from inner Sussex , myself from a mile or two down the road. Busses were suspended but noting that it was just wind and no lashing rain I strolled along the beach path into Shoreham where after a mini pub crawl taking in The Ferry (rarely go in there but was surprisingly okay-ish) , The Sovereign and Sutors Yard* we arrived at the Taphouse.

I’ve only ever been in there a handful of times but alway enjoyed it. Staff are attentive, friendly and keen to please. Good selection of beers too.
We ordered a table full of blue cheese burgers, fishcakes with poached egg and a surprisingly nice salad, pulled pork nachos and genuinely the nicest fries I’ve had in a pub, anywhere. American style fries but with substance and seasoned perfectly.
The pulled pork was plentiful and melt in the mouth.

Fishcakes were packed with cod and prawns and other chunky, flaky, perfectly cooked fish. Egg done to perfection.
The only gripe was they served a lot of it on very narrow rectangular plates so we had to ask for large, normal plates to avoid everything falling onto the table. No problem.
Coming in at under 100 for the all the food and beers, was happy with that. More than made up for the burnt/raw breakfast I had to return earlier in the day, elsewhere.

This being Shoreham, spiritual home of the big fish in a little pond, there were the inevitable group of middle aged men being too loud at the bar, half dressed like Peaky Blinders extras, half of them dressed like it was a Madchester revival night. Never a good look with a denied balding head.
But that didn’t detract from the good food and a great evening.

Food 8/10
Atmosphere 8/10
Staff 9/10
Beer 8/10

*I’ve never really warmed to Sutors Yard. It’s like it was on its way to being a very good pub but took a wrong turn just before arriving. It has a bit of a buzz so it’s good to include in a pub crawl. A fair amount of MILF frequent the place but there’s something off with the place. I can never quite put my finger on it.
Again, it’s a preferred watering hole of a lot of the aforementioned big fish/small pond types, local business owners who think Shoreham would crumble without their presence :)
Give me The Sov or The Welly most days but sometimes one wants a change.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indeed, we are off to York pre-Toon visit and Mrs Hut said shall we go to the Ivy in York, withered look from me and compromised with booking Cote Brasserie

Can't say I'd ever consider a Cote after I went there with Mrs WS and she was served very pink chicken .... the response - "It's meant to be pink.". Didn't pay for it in the end.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't say I'd ever consider a Cote after I went there with Mrs WS and she was served very pink chicken .... the response - "It's meant to be pink.". Didn't pay for it in the end.

Well last time we went I had pork which was excellent, it is booked so will see how it goes

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having eaten in both in York within the past couple of months, I’d be reversing that decision.

I'm with you on that actually. I dined at the Ivy in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and thought it excellent. I used to regularly eat breakfast at the Horsham branch of Cote, but l think the quality has gone downhill since they reopened after lockdown.

I concede though that every branch may be very different.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bills - Lewes (lunch)

Went to Lewes today as Mrs Hut had an item to return to White Stuff and the White Stuff in Brighton has shut (hooray, massive saving on cloths) alternatively according to Mrs Hut the end of the world as I know it..........

So pre-booked a table on arrival advised only two seater table available was right by the door so you would freeze, sharp stare and well we could offer you another table and they did.

Sat down menus handed to us, oh by the way the all day menu till 16:00hrs isn't available, had really fancied the all day breakfast but hey ho.

Both had Eggs Royale and chips which to be fair was more than adequate and washed down with latte/tea.

Bill arrive and 12.5% service charge added, this seems to happen everywhere these days.

Not bad but would have preferred the all day breakfast, might be a while till a re-visit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Another decent lunch at the Flint House in Brighton. For a decent / treat meal it’s probably where we go the most in Sussex.

Had a bit of a rough time recently so we needed a treat;

Couple of glasses of Ridgeview Rose , carafe of Merlot, 3 Oysters with smoked crème fraiche & jalapeños, 7 small plates, shared the blue cheese & honey crumpet & coffee doughnut for dessert. Finished off with a couple of cocktails (I had the Gold - an espresso martini with burnt butter vodka ?!) - total inc 12.5% service was £160 between 2.

Highlights were the Pork Ribeye, Mushroom / Duck Egg toast & Lincolnshire Poacher Agnolotti.

For us we like the more casual setting of Flint House for either a lunch or dinner , but decent food & drink. Some of the waiting staff have been there since it opened which is also a plus. Decent Sunday [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here