Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There was me, convinced that '£170 a head (food only)' must be a typo. Surely only people with more money than sense, pay that?

I won't post what going to Restaurant Gordon Ramsey cost on Saturday then ! Although I will post a review in the next few days.

Some people have eating in the best restaurants as their hobby, others have belonging to an expensive golf club, others a top notch gym - what people spend their hard earned money on varies based on their likes in life. I like food ( not in a gluttonous way ) and I'm more than happy to go and spend less than a tenner in Galileo's on a hot bowl of pasta but equally I want to experience some of the most creative food this country can provide - and it really can be an experience. It's not 'more money than sense' - it's spending your money on what you enjoy, what makes you happy.

Bet he was desperate to get on here and tell everyone how much it cost, that is after the point of restaurants who charge that much, exisitng as they do for people whose wealth exceeds their class

Rather harsh - I enjoyed the review G76 gave - really not sure what wealth and class have to do with posting a review including the price ( which is useful to know ). Unless the Green Eyed Monster is amongst us ?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Bet he was desperate to get on here and tell everyone how much it cost, that is after the point of restaurants who charge that much, exisitng as they do for people whose wealth exceeds their class

Your assertion is unclear.

Please define what you mean by class.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

These reviews would be rather pointless for others if we had no idea on rough cost eh [emoji2375]

It’s a lot - but not outrageous. Plenty of places in Brighton charging £80-£100 pp for a 9 course set menu

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Your assertion is unclear.

Please define what you mean by class.

I've not trawled through previous posts so apologies if out of context. Maybe he's trying to indicate that some people ' know the price of everything and the value of nothing'?

For example somebody I know posted their ridiculous bill from a Brighton eaterie on Facebook including a bottle of wine costing £120. That person is neither a foodie or wine expert but it was more an attempt at the Harry Enfield ' I couldn't help noticing that I'm considerably richer than you ' moment.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I once got called out (2018? 2019?) on here for leaving a review and not saying the price. Now I get called out for saying it (like every newspaper review of a restaurant I’ve ever read does). Oh well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I once got called out (2018? 2019?) on here for leaving a review and not saying the price. Now I get called out for saying it (like every newspaper review of a restaurant I’ve ever read does). Oh well.

It's good you put the price. I was just surprised at the price, but then again I suppose I'm a cheap skate. Plus I'm not bothered about fancy food, I love a good pasta, curry, roast, Thai and so on in a restaurant but not paid anything like that. Had Vietnamese a little while ago which was great.

But each to their own. I spent a lot of money a few years ago on a brand new Harley Davidson which cost the same as a new half decent car, I think some people would think that's mad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's good you put the price. I was just surprised at the price, but then again I suppose I'm a cheap skate. Plus I'm not bothered about fancy food, I love a good pasta, curry, roast, Thai and so on in a restaurant but not paid anything like that. Had Vietnamese a little while ago which was great.

But each to their own. I spent a lot of money a few years ago on a brand new Harley Davidson which cost the same as a new half decent car, I think some people would think that's mad.

The beauty of this thread, when not disrupted, is that it covers everything from a cheap family lunch to three star joints. I've got some really good recommendations from here. Some have cost a fair bit. Others have been very affordable.

Would I pay for Sushi Testsu? Absolutely. But I can't be bothered with a booking process that won't be able to consider my need for child and puppy sitting when going out with the Mrs, However, probably my favourite discovery last year was Fanoos on Station Road where main courses are between £10 and £15, the portions are huge and it's BYO.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Toscas Shoreham - not been here for a while however mid-week meal out, we were going to go into Brighton and chance it for Riddle and Finns as now turn up and go (cannot book a table) but too cold to be bothered to take train etc.

We have two Italian Restaurants in Shoreham so you can Google the other and there now seems to be some major price differences between them on dishes £6 in our case so you can Google that as well !

So starter and main each washed down with a bottle of red, not bad usual standard to be honest but the waiter could have been more pleasant of a 7 out of 10.

We can now choose a bit on value for certain types of dishes.............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If we're talking Japanese restaurants, then Kusaki near Preston Circus is worth a shout. It's a Japanese vegan restaurant and is bloody lovely. I went there for my birthday and haven't enjoyed a meal so much for years - anyone who thinks that vegan food is dull or bland should give it a go.

It's not cheap but you'll pay a lot more for a meal out (£170 for example :lolol: ). I think it was about £120 for Mrs G and me - we'll probably go back when it's her birthday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The beauty of this thread, when not disrupted, is that it covers everything from a cheap family lunch to three star joints. I've got some really good recommendations from here. Some have cost a fair bit. Others have been very affordable.

Would I pay for Sushi Testsu? Absolutely. But I can't be bothered with a booking process that won't be able to consider my need for child and puppy sitting when going out with the Mrs, However, probably my favourite discovery last year was Fanoos on Station Road where main courses are between £10 and £15, the portions are huge and it's BYO.

Fully agree with the sentiment expressed here. This and the music threads are valued contributions, in which there are positive and revealing posts but also negative ones but the negativity comes with explanations.
Eating out is one of life joys for me, and I'm more than happy to pay high and, for me, these are often the best value for money. This is just to illustrate that often you're getting an awful lot more when shelling out more; being in the joint for four hours plus, better service, better culinary skills, more 'chef hours', better ingredients, and so on.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This. If Goldstone enjoys it, and can afford it, good luck to him. Who are we to judge anyone?

judge.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There was me, convinced that '£170 a head (food only)' must be a typo. Surely only people with more money than sense, pay that?

Only one way to find out. [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION], would you care to publish your bank statement and IQ test result please :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here