Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3 Albion games you most regret missing?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You can include Covid shutdowns, but, more about games you could have gone to, but for various reasons you didn’t.

For me, the QPR game where with hindsight, we actually got the points for Promotion. Only game in the last 10 I missed. I simply couldn’t afford it, I had to prioritise and chose the final 3 away games.

FA Cup Semi final against Sheffield Wednesday, at sea.

Any game at Gillingham. I was working 6/7 days a week and I couldn’t justify spending what would amount to a whole day off going to watch football, with a young family.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Two biggies for me

Newcastle away promotion game 1979. Dad and brother went, but to this day I still don't know why I didn't

FA Cup Final. Had a ticket but was in the RAF at the time, and Sgt Kenneth Woods refused to sign my leave application. *******.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The one which comes to mind is Chester 1-7 Brighton in 2000 - I bailed at the last minute. D'oh!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wasn't at Hereford. Just couldn't face it.

Was working in Asia for both the Swindon playoff game and the final in Cardiff.

Those would be the three.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Two biggies for me

Newcastle away promotion game 1979. Dad and brother went, but to this day I still don't know why I didn't

FA Cup Final. Had a ticket but was in the RAF at the time, and Sgt Kenneth Woods refused to sign my leave application. *******.

What a bar steward!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lucky to have been at most of the really big games but the game at Birmingham where Solly turned the game and Murray ran the length of the pitch is probably the standout one I wish I’d been at.

Honourable mention for Nathan’s game at Fulham, the QPR Poco free kick game and of course Knocky’s worldy at Palace

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
4th December 2018
Brighton 3 - 1 Palace

My second son was born around 48hrs before K.O so I thought it inappropriate (for once) to attend the match.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Forest away (Ulloa). My friends and I are familiar with weekends away in Nottingham with another of our hobbies - so had earmarked this as a definite to go to as it was last day of the season, would be good weather, good night out and COULD be important.
Sadly it went a bit tits up nearer the time and we ended up not going. Big regret that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Missed the Chesterfield at Home at Withdean having gone to all the other games.

Gutted there

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was Group 1 in the ballot for the reduced capacity game against Man City last season, and decided not to take up the tickets. Real shame to have missed that fabulous result, but I made the decision for the right reasons, and would do the same again, so can't really have any regrets about that one.

The title clinching game at Walsall, I was massively disappointed at having to miss - but it wasn't a choice I was able to make, sadly.

Hereford, I don't regret - I reckon I would have hated every single moment of it, to the point of feeling ill.

Those aside, have been lucky enough to be at most of the big moments, over the last 30 years.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
4th December 2018
Brighton 3 - 1 Palace

My second son was born around 48hrs before K.O so I thought it inappropriate (for once) to attend the match.

My second child (first son) was born a couple of weeks before this game, as the due date got closer I was panicking that I would have to miss this game! (I went to the game)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was Group 1 in the ballot for the reduced capacity game against Man City last season, and decided not to take up the tickets. Real shame to have missed that fabulous result, but I made the decision for the right reasons, and would do the same again, so can't really have any regrets about that one.

The title clinching game at Walsall, I was massively disappointed at having to miss - but it wasn't a choice I was able to make, sadly.

Hereford, I don't regret - I reckon I would have hated every single moment of it, to the point of feeling ill.

Those aside, have been lucky enough to be at most of the big moments, over the last 30 years.

Ah, all true but the final whistle remains my best ever feeling as an Albion fan :smile:

Never has the consequence of losing been so important

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Man City last season springs to mind. Can't think of to many others

el punal

Newcastle (A) 1979 - our promotion clincher, our first daughter newly arrived.

Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 2011 - another promotion match missed as I was in Austria.

Wigan (H) April 2017 - FFS!!! With our daughter in Mexico. :cry:

Loads of honourable mentions - Sheffield Wednesday (H) and QPR (A) in 2017, Hereford, for THAT game, Halifax (A) in 2001 drove all the way there with my daughter in a hire car (expensive) to find out that the match had been called off!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Too many for just three!

York and Walsall home games 1976 - the 7-2 and 7-0. Pretty sure I went to every other home game in the 76-77 season, but unbelievably missed those two!

Newcastle away, promotion game, 1979. I was quite young at the time, but should have got my act together. Wish I'd been on that epic Seagulls Special train journey back as well. Instead, I listened to it on the radio. When they pulled a goal back in the second half, I couldn't bear to listen to the final moments so had to leave the house and go for a walk! By the time I got back, we'd been promoted.

Liverpool away, FA Cup, 1983. Could easily have gone to this (went to the 3-1 defeat at Anfield in the league earlier in the season), but didn't bother with the hassle of getting a ticket because I just assumed we'd lose.

Brentford away, FA Cup, 1987? Just for missing THAT Garry Nelson goal. Used to always go to London away games, especially Brentford. Can't remember why I missed this - might have been my gran's birthday celebration!

Liverpool away, FA Cup, 1991 (the 2-2 draw). Actually had a ticket, but was unemployed and broke at the time and couldn't really afford the train fare, so sold it.

Man City at Withdean, League Cup, 2009? Forgot to buy a ticket and sold out. Could still have got one, but was off on holiday early the following day and for some reason this stopped me trying. Another in the 'assumed we'd lose' category.

QPR away, 2017. Same as Brentford above. Went to most London away games at the time, but for some reason didn't get a ticket and missed Pocognoli's moment of glory. The scenes behind that goal in the footage look absolutely mental :(

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The one which comes to mind is Chester 1-7 Brighton in 2000 - I bailed at the last minute. D'oh!

This is one of mine. As a group of us used to travel to away games regularly by minibus we had a choice between Northampton or Chester which were on consecutive weekends so we plumped for Northampton being the closer of the two. D'oh.

Hereford, couldn't get a ticket, went to the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final Bradford Bulls vs St Helens instead with family to distract myself from it. Very awkward moment after the game as I was in the Bulls end and they'd lost, but news came through on my walkman that we'd survived, cue much celebrating from me in among some very down northerners.

I suppose the other one would have been the comeback against City last season. I was in the lowest priority group for tickets so stood down my normal babysitter as I didn't think I'd have a chance, by the time I realised tickets would be available my babysitter already had other plans.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just two really stand out for me.

Fans United and Hereford in “that” season.

Nearest to those two is probably Liverpool in the 1983 cup run. I was working weekends then, so didn’t do many aways that season.

I think I was at most of the others that have been mentioned so far.

Edit: I’ve actually just realised all three would be from “that” season, but in reality, I missed the whole season due, in the main, to my ex. Number 3 is therefore the last game at the Goldstone :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here