Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion players - trademark moves

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Obviously ongoing is Pascal Groß's famous slow-mo Cruyff turn, which as we all know is absolutely majestic.

It got me thinking of other Albion players over the years who had their own gimmick...

Off the top of my head, there was Nathan Jones' hilarious "Rhonda shuffle" at Withdean, which was a lot funnier than it was effective. Great times copying that on the school field! (Does anyone have a clip of this? Nothing on YouTube)

A little left-field this one, but Daniel Webb (good grief we've come a long way) had a penchant for barging into goalkeepers for no reason. That and lots of flailing elbows - he was the equivalent of a hockey goon.

Adam El-Abd with the classic wind up the opposition striker while awaiting a set piece, push them, or stand on their foot, then wait for the inevitable reaction and fall down clutching your face. He was a master of shithousery.

Mark Walton with his comically loud voice and unbelievably strong Welsh accent bellowing out "KEEPAAAAAH", "TIIIIIME, TIIIIIME" or "AWAY! AWAY". What was so great about this was he always did the wrong shout for the situation. Striker bearing down on the last man? "TIIIIME!".

THE Paul Watson/Bobby Zamora freekick routine which practically got us promoted single-handedly.

Am I missing any?

Jimmy Grimble

Dean Cox’s hitting the first man corner routine.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I remember Steve Gatting back passes always seemed to cause sharp intakes of breath

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes you have as you’ve only covered a few years.

Sully knocking and go, puffing down the wing
Steve Gatting running round in circles so he could kick it left footed

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Peter Smiths first touch, which doesn't. Actually most of the team were like that then.

'Jiimys gonna get ya' charge and tackle

Silky Daves trudge down the right wing @ Withdean

Trossard seems to have shaken off the paint magnet shots

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Peter Smiths first touch, which doesn't. Actually most of the team were like that then.

'Jiimys gonna get ya' charge and tackle

Silky Daves trudge down the right wing @ Withdean

Trossard seems to have shaken off the paint magnet shots

Silky Dave!!! The army veteran!!! Loved in the 6-0 against Mansfield where he literally trod on the ball, almost fell over, then swung in a perfect cross for a goal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was it Nathan Jones that used to do that a bit rubbish skipover thing before always veering over to the corner flag like a wonky donkey?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
LuaLua had couple of trademark moves. Stopping it to go past a player on the outside. Or, stepover , cut inside, blast over the bar (at the Amex anyway)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nicky Rust doing his folding his arms and leaning against the goalpost routine when we actually were on the attack.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
LuaLua had couple of trademark moves. Stopping it to go past a player on the outside. Or, stepover , cut inside, blast over the bar (at the Amex anyway)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

LuaLua's particular trick was hiding from view of whoever was on the ball for us to make it difficult to get him on the ball. His football brain was incredibly poor and he stagnated because he couldn't develop. When we first signed him, he had Premier League potential but he never got close to fulfilling it. He had the tools and he had the fans on side, but he never quite had the ability to put it all together.

I thoroughly enjoyed Craig Noone's constant cutting onto his left foot, no matter where he was. Or CMS running around like a labrador, waiting for a defensive error which rarely happened because the players in the Championship were too good - and the rest of his team was 40 yards behind him.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Vicente gliding past defenders. He didn't bomb it like Lua-Lua or Lamptey, a little dip of the shoulder and see you later. Absolutely magic to watch.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
One famous Cullip habit was that bawl " let's have a winner " when their keeper was launching it.

And whilst we love the slow motion Cruyff turn was on earth does that two hands in the air mean on the corners and some set pieces?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here