Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] *** James Webb Space Telescope ***

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This bad boy launches today. 20 years in the making. I’d be surprised if this gold plated tennis court sized telescope is not the most impressive engineered object in all human history.

If it works, it’ll be able to see the first stars that appeared in this Universe. Whilst most celebrate the birth of Christ on this day, in thousands of centuries time, that particular mythology will have been put to rest but the significance of the James Webb telescope will be still be lorded.

Fingers crossed it’s gets through it’s absurdly complex and risky launch and deployment process!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hope they remembered to take the lens cap off before they blasted ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can they turn it off and turn it on again?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Glad the launch went smoothly and Webb is on its way :thumbsup:

Now just have to hope that all the unfurling over the next 2 weeks goes according to plan and that it works as intended!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
0e2146957800f8b56ba22038ed7d3132.gif

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I second those hopes . I remember that the Hubble telescope was faulty at first and needed a space mission to fix it .
This sounds like an amazing piece of kit . I am not so sure about the hype that it will see into the distant past although I suppose that is theoretically possible.
Anyway I wish the James Webb well ( boring name though)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I second those hopes . I remember that the Hubble telescope was faulty at first and needed a space mission to fix it .
This sounds like an amazing piece of kit . I am not so sure about the hype that it will see into the distant past although I suppose that is theoretically possible.
Anyway I wish the James Webb well ( boring name though)

Tele McScopeFace.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Glad the launch went smoothly and Webb is on its way [emoji106]

Now just have to hope that all the unfurling over the next 2 weeks goes according to plan and that it works as intended!
Probably find its been deployed with the wrong attitude 180 degree's off axis.... We are going to get some stunning views of Earth!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
In 2025 the ELT in Chile will come online and make the James Webb look small and weak. The ELT has a mirror 36 times the size of JWST and is being built for 90% less cost.

Between the 2 of them our astronomical knowledge is about to move forward astronomically.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This bad boy launches today. 20 years in the making. I’d be surprised if this gold plated tennis court sized telescope is not the most impressive engineered object in all human history.

If it works, it’ll be able to see the first stars that appeared in this Universe. Whilst most celebrate the birth of Christ on this day, in thousands of centuries time, that particular mythology will have been put to rest but the significance of the James Webb telescope will be still be lorded.

Fingers crossed it’s gets through it’s absurdly complex and risky launch and deployment process!

How do they know they were...'the first stars that appeared in this Universe' ?

I suspect it's no more than a theory, as with a lot of science, posited as fact.

Anyway. Happy Festival of Light.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
How do they know they were...'the first stars that appeared in this Universe' ?

I suspect it's no more than a theory, as with a lot of science, posited as fact.

Anyway. Happy Festival of Light.

Think it’s to do with the ‘red shift’.

In essence, you can look at the information in any light source you capture in space and work out how old it is. If you know the age of the Universe, you can then work out if you are looking at the first stars.

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas!

Edit:

Here is some bite-size for you - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zg9x3k7/revision/2

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
In 2025 the ELT in Chile will come online and make the James Webb look small and weak. The ELT has a mirror 36 times the size of JWST and is being built for 90% less cost.

Between the 2 of them our astronomical knowledge is about to move forward astronomically.

The difference being, of course, is that the ELT will have only limited infra-red capabilities, whereas the JWST is only, but totally IR, and can therefore see things the ELT can never hope to.

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014

In essence, you can look at the information in any light source you capture in space and work out how old it is. If you know the age of the Universe, you can then work out if you are looking at the first stars.

Edit:

Here is some bite-size for you - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zg9x3k7/revision/2

In addition to the red shift of the light, they are known as 1st generation stars which are made of Hydrogen and Helium because these were the only elements in the universe when they formed. Later generation stars contain percentages of heavier elements which were added to the universe when the first generations of stars went supernova

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Edit:

Spaceball 1 went to Plaid when it went faster than light?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I highly recommend Brian Cox Universe if no one has seen it

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The difference being, of course, is that the ELT will have only limited infra-red capabilities, whereas the JWST is only, but totally IR, and can therefore see things the ELT can never hope to.

True, the ELT is more comparable to Hubble, much like an iPhone 13 is comparable to a Nokia 8210.

The JWST is just like adding FaceTime to the mix.

JWST and ELT combined are an unbelievably huge step forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here