Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

When are the club going to realise this new season ticket scheme of having to pay to pass it on to a friend/family is an absolute f**king farce!?

It's shameful we are charging hard working loyal fans to pass on their ticket which they have rightly paid for. In any other case this is usually not allowed, so why are we any different?! Once you've paid for it, it's yours to pass onto who you please.

This better stop and stop soon.

Tonights attendance was the face of this shite scheme. 100% there would have been more bums on seats and more money for the club being spent on the concourses etc.

I rate Paul Barber and the team highly, but they've f**ked up here royally.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.........It's shameful we are charging hard working loyal fans to pass on their ticket which they have rightly paid for. In any other case this is usually not allowed, so why are we any different?!.................

Needs a little editing pehaps, but agree with the sentiments!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree.

If I buy theatre tickets I can pass them on with no questions asked. I see no reason why football should be any different.

Now, if the person I pass the ticket to is a numbskull who causes trouble, then I should face the consequences, but that’s my look out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Agree.

If I buy theatre tickets I can pass them on with no questions asked. I see no reason why football should be any different.

Now, if the person I pass the ticket to is a numbskull who causes trouble, then I should face the consequences, but that’s my look out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Have to say, it will be a factor in my considerations when I come to renew, and will probably tip the balance towards not renewing.

Whether it was formally allowed or not, when we had physical tickets it was easy enough to hand to someone else on the rare days we couldn't attend. I did this a few times, always with a view to encouraging friends and work colleagues to go along, who would hopefully want to come back. There are at least three additional season ticket holders in the upper west stand now as a direct result of me doing this.

I no longer do this as the new system makes it such a massive ballache in addition to the costs involved
As a result our seats have been empty a couple of times when they could have been used to introduce new potential fans.

In my eyes the changes have devalued the ticket considerably. Given that circumstances mean that our enforced absence will become a bit more frequent in future, I'm very likely to become an occasional ticket buyer again. It'll be a wrench to give up our familiar seats, but I can't justify the costs in these circumstances

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s not a massive ball ache. It’s meant people have used my ticket this season (including last night) while I’m not prepared to take the risk.

Takes a couple of minutes to transfer once the person is added to friends and family, which also isn’t a difficult operation.

The reason there were so many empty seats last night is because more people are doing the right thing and avoiding big gatherings, not because of this system.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s not a massive ball ache. It’s meant people have used my ticket this season (including last night) while I’m not prepared to take the risk.

Takes a couple of minutes to transfer once the person is added to friends and family, which also isn’t a difficult operation.

The reason there were so many empty seats last night is because more people are doing the right thing and avoiding big gatherings, not because of this system.

You’re right it isn’t. It takes literally 2 mins to log in and activate the share option on your account. You then get the email containing the e-ticket, which can then be sent directly to whomever you want (and doesn’t have fo be the named person if you don’t mind bending he rules). It’s considerably less of a ball ache than physically passing on your card and then making sure that you get it back before the next home game.

As you say, the empty seats were down to COVID fears and that if you catch it now, you’re spending Christmas in self isolation. Same at all grounds probably.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You’re right it isn’t. It takes literally 2 mins to log in and activate the share option on your account. You then get the email containing the e-ticket, which can then be sent directly to whomever you want (and doesn’t have fo be the named person if you don’t mind bending he rules). It’s considerably less of a ball ache than physically passing on your card and then making sure that you get it back before the next home game.

As you say, the empty seats were down to COVID fears and that if you catch it now, you’re spending Christmas in self isolation. Same at all grounds probably.

It isn’t less of a ball ache though. You don’t mention the fact that everyone has to pay extra to allow this to happen. On the occasions I gave my ticket to others, I would not expect them to have to pay £20 for the privilege. This works if it’s the same person you give the ticket to every time, but not if it doesn’t.

This also doesn’t talk to the less technology savvy older fans, where “simply” doing things on a phone or computer isn’t that at all.

I agree that last night was more due to COVID, but I’m definitely in the farce camp on this one. It’s just one of those irritating, niggling things instigated by Barber which highlights his lack of empathy with fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU

You have missed the main point, the cost, OK if you are passing ticket to same person for many games...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I understood the argument when we had thousands on the waiting list and selling out every week. Why should the club allow free handover when there was a large number of people who’d be happy to pay? The food and drink sales are an irrelevance to the club really as the vast majority go Sodexo.

The world has changed now and we don’t have the waiting lists on top of covid meaning people are much less likely to go. Now it seems a ridiculous position to take and should be relaxed.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It is one of those costs too with no actual justification. The charge of such a large fee is transparently about squeezing the pennies from the fans who already contribute the most financially.

There is no actual material cost to the club that they are passing on to the customer, and any administrative costs are nominal, in pence rather that pounds.

It's as 2021 "Premier League" as it's possible to be, along with bottle tops, goal music and poor quality, hugely expensive replica shirts.

Every revenue opportunity will be ruthlessly exploited. And considering games are looking very likely to be played behind closed doors again very soon, every penny counts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the £20 would be fine if the person you were passing to only had to be registered with the club with a fan number rather than a paid for member - that’s the bit that grates I think.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It isn’t less of a ball ache though. You don’t mention the fact that everyone has to pay extra to allow this to happen. On the occasions I gave my ticket to others, I would not expect them to have to pay £20 for the privilege. This works if it’s the same person you give the ticket to every time, but not if it doesn’t.

This also doesn’t talk to the less technology savvy older fans, where “simply” doing things on a phone or computer isn’t that at all.

I agree that last night was more due to COVID, but I’m definitely in the farce camp on this one. It’s just one of those irritating, niggling things instigated by Barber which highlights his lack of empathy with fans.

Yeh, there’s a the one-off cost. You only need to have one F&F recipient though as the e-ticket can, in reality, be forwarded on and printed off by anyone. Slightly bending the rules accepted, but then so was passing your ST card on in previous seasons.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It’s just yet another money grabbing ploy from the club. They are prepared to have empty seats if it means a few people pay the extra for membership and to make the season ticket shareable.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think the £20 would be fine if the person you were passing to only had to be registered with the club with a fan number rather than a paid for member - that’s the bit that grates I think.

Agree with this. Requiring the recipients to be MyAlbion+ members is the ballache; not the process of passing the tickets on electronically.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Exactly

'do you and your daughter fancy going to the game tomorrow/this afternoon - my tickets are spare'

'sure why not'

'Great, but you'll need to get online register and pay £20 each'

'Oh...'

As you say, if it's a regular sharing thing with same people then fine but that's not my situation. It was a nice way to share with friends and family, often as a return for something nice they have done for me. An extra benefit to being a season ticket holder. To ask them to pay £20 each rather takes the edge off that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here