• Other (please state)

Votes: 15 14.9%

• Total voters

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Really? Rumoured to have some personal issues, which are not to be sniffed at, which would surely rule him out of contention, if they were remotely true.

Ak. Ok. Well if that is the case that would explain why he has seemingly disappeared. I recall reading / hearing some comments to that effect, following Johnson's outing with the police on some dawn raids last week, but thought they were purely jokes etc. Perhaps not then.

If that were the case, would it be something I would find hard to believe? Absolutely not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ritchy Ballsack will probably have a go, as will Gurning Gove.

I think I'd prefer Gareth Southgate to either.

There's not much to chose from really.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
As a Tory voter I would say Burnham is the only credible candidate in Labour that could win a general election. Decent bloke, clever, speaks the truth. I still couldn't vote for him but he would appeal to a lot of people. Miles ahead of Starmer.

The problem with the Tories is fundamentally they don't have a very good opposition. They can therefore, up to a point do what they want. Labour are unelectable I'm afraid, in their current form. They have been since Blair left. However badly or not the Tories have done (and we could argue that all day) I think the electorate would probably think Labour would have done worse. AND fundamentally the Tories have supported people through Covid in a way far greater than anyone could imagine financially. Roll back two years and could you ever have seen a Tory Government support people through furlough the way they did. I never thought they would. I'm not even sure Labour would have done?

At the next election it will all be about the economy and who makes the best case for moving it forward. It nearly always is.
Hi Boris. [emoji112][emoji3]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ak. Ok. Well if that is the case that would explain why he has seemingly disappeared. I recall reading / hearing some comments to that effect, following Johnson's outing with the police on some dawn raids last week, but thought they were purely jokes etc. Perhaps not then.

If that were the case, would it be something I would find hard to believe? Absolutely not.

No joke. It seems as though there may be a few suspects.

[tweet]1467577969749250055[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, Michael Gove hasn’t decided to go completely AWOL whilst this shitstorm blows through for no reason.

He will be seen by the parliamentary party as the ‘steady pair of hands’ after the chaos of Johnson

I had a momentary horrible image of Gove smiling and feeling himself at the prospect :eek:

A very stupid thread and poll. Someone tell the OP that PMs are not appointed in the UK by acclaimation (although in the case of the present incumbent it does seem that way sometimes).

Anyway, I'm sure Das Reich will be along in a minute to school us on what to think.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a momentary horrible image of Gove smiling and feeling himself at the prospect :eek:

A very stupid thread and poll. Someone tell the OP that PMs are not appointed in the UK by acclaimation (although in the case of the present incumbent it does seem that way sometimes).

Anyway, I'm sure Das Reich will be along in a minute to school us on what to think.

The OP is a wind up merchant and knows that.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Michael Mahoney-Johnson

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
With Bojo on the rocks, it's got me wondering who on earth would get the job.

I think it should be someone non Tory or Labour. Possibly Nigel Farage might be a good fit. Always seems to come across well, good communicator and should get us a bit of international respect back.

Poll to follow and options from current betting market...

The man who, last time he tried to get elected to the House of Commons, got beaten by a bloke in a dolphin suit ? Good call :lolol:

farage.jpg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
As a Tory voter I would say Burnham is the only credible candidate in Labour that could win a general election. Decent bloke, clever, speaks the truth. I still couldn't vote for him but he would appeal to a lot of people. Miles ahead of Starmer.

The problem with the Tories is fundamentally they don't have a very good opposition. They can therefore, up to a point do what they want. Labour are unelectable I'm afraid, in their current form. They have been since Blair left. However badly or not the Tories have done (and we could argue that all day) I think the electorate would probably think Labour would have done worse. AND fundamentally the Tories have supported people through Covid in a way far greater than anyone could imagine financially. Roll back two years and could you ever have seen a Tory Government support people through furlough the way they did. I never thought they would. I'm not even sure Labour would have done?

At the next election it will all be about the economy and who makes the best case for moving it forward. It nearly always is.

If Labour did what most parties should do and clear out grandees and dinosaurs, and then filled a cabinet with people who can represent the current working generation and the digital generation coming up (no 'names', just fresh apparently competent people) and then topped it off with an empathetic, smart, charismatic and trustworthy leader (if such a being could ever exist?) why couldn't you vote for them?

I've never voted Tory, but if Rory Stewart had become Tory Leader and taken an axe to their fetid ranks - then I'd have been tempted.

Nailing colours to some historical mast when the human race has some existential challenges (climate and pandemic(s)) and constantly talking about legacy economy models being the only thing that matters is THE problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It's funny, I'm not so religious that I can't see myself ever voting for a tory (although I never have). I think that if you are committed to never voting for a party you are not really in any position to judge possible candidates for their leadership. It's a bit like a vegan discussing whether pork is tastier than chicken :shrug:

:wink:

So as a labour voter (mostly), and changing the subject slightly (ludicrous thread, as I noted earlier) I prefer Starmer to Burnham. I'll admit to a certain amount of prejudice (which is our main unconscious bias when it comes to politics) in that I am suspicious of Roman Catholics, and yet find Burnham's support for gay marriage and other liberal causes to be a little hard to fathom in view of his faith. He also seemed untroubled to sit in Corbyn's shadow cabinet. His entire career after university has been spent working in politics meaning that unlike Starmer he has never had a 'proper' job.

None of these criticisms are particularly damning and clearly he is infinitely preferable the shameless crook, Johnson, but I feel he's more a follower than leader. Starmer, ascetic though he may be, is a leader.

The fact Starmer isn't screaming for a policeman like some labourites over the present shambolic criminal gang in number 10 shows he knows to keep his powder relatively dry until it is needed (an election) and not spaff his juices every week like little Hague did, besting Blair week in week out at PMQ to absolutely no effect on her majesty's loyal electorate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If Labour did what most parties should do and clear out grandees and dinosaurs, and then filled a cabinet with people who can represent the current working generation and the digital generation coming up (no 'names', just fresh apparently competent people) and then topped it off with an empathetic, smart, charismatic and trustworthy leader (if such a being could ever exist?) why couldn't you vote for them?

I've never voted Tory, but if Rory Stewart had become Tory Leader and taken an axe to their fetid ranks - then I'd have been tempted.

Nailing colours to some historical mast when the human race has some existential challenges (climate and pandemic(s)) and constantly talking about legacy economy models being the only thing that matters is THE problem.

You beat me to it - and did so more succinctly. :lolol:

Rory Stewart - I would have voted for him ahead of Corbyn without question.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree that he should be the last person to get it, one small point, he isn’t the son of a billionaire [emoji106]
It's such a small point that it wasn't worth you making it.

The fact that he was a Harrow educated multi-millionaire who married the daughter of a billionaire doesn't detract from [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION]'s point at all does it? I wouldn't mind if you corrected him as part of a wider point, but you didn't - so exactly why did you bother posting this pointless minor correction in isolation?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You beat me to it - and did so more succinctly. :lolol:

Rory Stewart - I would have voted for him ahead of Corbyn without question.

Thirded. Rory Stewart is about a good a politician as I've seen in recent years I'd happily vote blue if he ever turned up as a leader. Sadly the acceptable wing of the Tories got ousted in the Brexit purge coupled with the leftist takeover of the Labour party under Corbyn has left us with the Student politics v Bring back 1970 parties in power.

Its shite all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here