Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Covid outbreak at spurs?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If Spurs have no more positives i'm sure the game will be on.

If a few more goes down, which seems likely to me, then it becomes increasingly hard to justify.

We can't ignore the possibility of undetected positives transferring it to our players and staff. As a club we should be pushing for a postponement.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

If a few more goes down, which seems likely to me, then it becomes increasingly hard to justify.

We can't ignore the possibility of undetected positives transferring it to our players and staff. As a club we should be pushing for a postponement.
They are now up to 7 first teamers with positive tests.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They are now up to 7 first teamers with positive tests.

It's clearly not sensible that they train, travel or play together for a couple of weeks. It's certainly not sensible that play a euro game on Thursday and if they are thinking ahead they will forfeit the match and isolate their squad from each other.

Contingency should have been built into the season for this predictable turn of events.

We don't wan them anywhere near the Amex

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

There would be pretty much zero risk of them transmitting it on the pitch.

However, there is a definite risk within the changing rooms etc.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There would be pretty much zero risk of them transmitting it on the pitch.

However, there is a definite risk within the changing rooms etc.

I disagreeKane likes to get very close to opposing players before throwing himself to the floor.

Air arm wrestling and man hugs at corners and set plays are mandatory in the PL these days.

Not sure what infection possibilities for pinching, biting ears, poking eyes and elbows

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A snippet from The Athletic's piece on the subject:

What about Sunday’s Premier League match against Brighton?

The situation for Premier League matches is different. For these, there is no set rule but clubs can appeal for a game to be postponed, and then it’s up to the Premier League’s board to decide.
Precedent suggests Spurs would be in a strong position to have the game postponed if they made that request. Their match against Fulham was postponed last December when Fulham had six players test positive for COVID-19. A couple of days before that, Manchester City had seven positive cases when they successfully requested their match against Everton be moved.

The full article:
https://theathletic.com/3003029/2021/12/07/explained-tottenhams-covid-outbreak-what-does-it-mean-for-upcoming-matches/

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Any team who asks to postpone a game due to a covid outbreak should have to say how many of their players/staff are unvaccinated. AND pay the oppo's costs/pay a fine/be docked points. None of this is unavoidable, and hasn't been for months now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Any team who asks to postpone a game due to a covid outbreak should have to say how many of their players/staff are unvaccinated. AND pay the oppo's costs/pay a fine/be docked points. None of this is unavoidable, and hasn't been for months now.
What you say is unsubstantiated and possibly unfair. I very likely had COVID March 2020, am triple jabbed and I now have COVID again.

Before anyone gets ideas about vaccines and their point, I am fully in favour, understand the efficacy and that is due to understanding statistical probability.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
What you say is unsubstantiated and possibly unfair. I very likely had COVID March 2020, am triple jabbed and I now have COVID again.

Before anyone gets ideas about vaccines and their point, I am fully in favour, understand the efficacy and that is due to understanding statistical probability.

Firstly, I hope you recover with no issues

Do you wash your hands regularly and wear a mask?
I only ask because if you are cautious and sensible, as I imagine one who has had covid would be, how have you got it again? You mention statistical probability, do you regularly mix with lots of different people?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I only ask because if you are cautious and sensible, as I imagine one who has had covid would be, how have you got it again? You mention statistical probability, do you regularly mix with lots of different people?

Thanks for the kind wishes.

However, there are a lot of people who are vaccinated who are picking it up again, that is widely known, just look at the stats, it is beyond refutation. Vaccination decreases likelihood of reinfection somewhat but moreso decreases the severity of the disease if one catches it. Even before Delta and now Omicron it was not failsafe in regards to reinfection. Again, I emphasise, I am very much in favour of vaccination.

I take all the precautions I can but working in a primary school amongst children aged 3-11, there is a lot of risk involved and many of our children have caught Covid this term in much the same way that they would have with flu in past years. Inevitably it is nigh on impossible for many of our staff to not catch it, some of whom I know are also on their second time. If the government had instructed schools to bubble once again and taken many of the steps we've had that restricted transmission, then we would have had more success. However this has a deleterious effect on the children and in my opinion we need to learn to live with it whatever that may mean.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

To an extent, I stand corrected on this, after some thought, but I was a bit cross when I read the stories.

Yes of course if you're vaccinated you can still catch and pass on the virus, I'm wrong to appear black/white on that.

But "vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated." Though this number will in reality be higher "because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place": in fact double-vaccinated people are three times less likely to test positive to begin with.*

So if you have a workplace through which the virus has spread, then surely and statistically you have a workplace with unvaccinated workers. Fair enough. That's up to the bosses. But if the consequences of that are that you can postpone football matches (with all the ripple effects) willy-nilly, then haven't we got to a stage where the bosses reap punishment for not putting their houses in order?

*And as you are one of the very unlucky ones, I hope you get through it all and come out the other side fighting fit!

--None of this takes into account the speed and ease with which the newest variant seems to be spreading. As always, this is a developing news story...

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I take all the precautions I can but working in a primary school amongst children aged 3-11, there is a lot of risk involved and many of our children have caught Covid this term in much the same way that they would have with flu in past years.

The irony being that you are statistically much less likely to have infected any of your schoolkids!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So basically if you get Covid these days it's your own fault?

Hmmmm

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Hmmmm

As an aside,I almost got COVID the other day as I had to attend a mandatory in-person meeting to discuss my team's safe return to the office.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Hmmmm

I'll be honest, I'm firmly blaming my son for me catching it.

All I've done for him, and he repays me by bringing Covid home from school and giving it to me. Who'd be a parent, eh?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
<snip>

So if you have a workplace through which the virus has spread, then surely and statistically you have a workplace with unvaccinated workers. Fair enough. That's up to the bosses. But if the consequences of that are that you can postpone football matches (with all the ripple effects) willy-nilly, then haven't we got to a stage where the bosses reap punishment for not putting their houses in order?

<snip>

This is the thorny issue for all businesses - how can an employer be liable for an employee spreading COVID when there are still groups who for medical reasons can't have the vaccine? And you can't discriminate against people for that just as you can't legally discriminate against people who have chosen not to have the vaccine. It could be argued that it then becomes employer responsibility to put appropriate health and safety in place to mitigate the risks but again, that's a whole different argument. And then you get into discussion about knowing what people's vaccine status is and whether or not that's something you can demand to know (I don't think you can) which means you have to potentially have vulnerable vaccinated people sat in a small meeting room with unvaccinated people and neither knowing because there's no mandatory declaration...and who is responsible for the duty of care in that situation? I'm far from an expert but it all looks like a real minefield to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here