Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 12-year-old girl stabbed to death in Liverpool City centre

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
While the stats may show that there has not been an increase in violent crime over the years, I think it is the change in the nature of the crimes that disturbs people, along with the societal changes that surround it. By this I mean that young teens (and even younger kids) are joining gangs, taking drugs and are carrying weapons. I think that the changes there from the 70s and 80s are the ages of the kids involved, the fact that drug-taking is so commonplace (and with different drugs now) and the amount of weapon carrying. Someone who used to work with me is a mentor for young, black gang members in London. He says the situation is dire, and that most middle-class people living in nice areas (meaning me) don't realise how common it is for kids to carry weapons, and that are prepared to use them, either for "self-defence" or because it is cool and gets them accepted. He is a 6' 5'' Nigerian British man who is a black belt in Jiu Jitsu, so I guess he is not easily intimidated, but hats off to him for trying to do something in such a difficult area.

The other change is the reduction in discipline in the home, in schools and in policing. This has led to the some errant teens being emboldened and having no fear of the consequences of their actions. This leads the behaviour to escalate beyond where it would once have done for certain individuals. When I hear stories of a gang surrounding a police officer and jeering in Southwater (!) I shudder. Those of us who were teenagers in the 70s and 80s know that the police could be over-zealous and even brutal. No one would advocate going back to that, but they have been emasculated too far.

Sure there was violence when I was young; from recollection it was mainly in town centres and pubs, and also at football (going away to follow the Albion in those days was taking your life in your hands at times.) However, there wasn't the brazen disrespect for for adults and the police that there is now. Who would intervene with a gang of youths and tell them to behave now - I believe one would have done more readily then.

Hopefully this is a fair analysis of what the changes are and why some people are disturbed by the results, and that is doesn't just mark me out as a grumpy old man.
It was a common event for the Northstand to take the piss out the OB was it really that different???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Blame the parents. That’s you NSC. Everyone on here. We failed as a generation to raise kids and grandkids properly and created a society where kids killing each other isn’t really a news story anymore. Because let’s face it, this isn’t really. More children will die this week from stabbings. Millions more will swear, spit, strike at their teachers, parents, youth workers, police and even judges. The only people they ‘respect’ are drug dealers either because they’ll earn some new trainers or know these people will physically hurt them if they step out of line. Which is ironically what all the others were allowed to do previously! Is it any wonder…

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Blame the parents. That’s you NSC. Everyone on here. We failed as a generation to raise kids and grandkids properly and created a society where kids killing each other isn’t really a news story anymore. Because let’s face it, this isn’t really. More children will die this week from stabbings. Millions more will swear, spit, strike at their teachers, parents, youth workers, police and even judges. The only people they ‘respect’ are drug dealers either because they’ll earn some new trainers or know these people will physically hurt them if they step out of line. Which is ironically what all the others were allowed to do previously! Is it any wonder…

Teachers and police officers used to give out new trainers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here